Thread: Custom built CAI installed! Pics! (long)

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328i, '03 Acura 3.2 TL, '04 Honda Shadow

Custom built CAI installed! Write up! Pics! 56k beware

Well after a lot of advice from the forum I pulled the trigger and installed a CAI that I built today!

The cost of parts was $42.00 for KN filter, $12.00 for 3" hose and clamps.

I got the aluminum tubing for free so everything was only $54.00 and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to install!

Here is the original tubing I was given from a guy who totalled his 325is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by morea328i; 07-08-2004 at 03:36 PM.
    1997 Morea Grun 328i Lux/Sport : Racing Dynamic Springs : Brullen Exhaust : Custom CAI : OEM Clears
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/morea328i

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

My Cars

Parts for CAI

Here is everything I used in my install...notice how I cut the tubing to fit my car....the funny thing is after fitting it the smaller piece actually worked better. I was planning on using the longer piece to build a "dinan" like intake but it did not fit like I wanted.
    1997 Morea Grun 328i Lux/Sport : Racing Dynamic Springs : Brullen Exhaust : Custom CAI : OEM Clears

My Cars

Relocate Horn

After removing the airbox I had to move the horn so the filter would go down near the fender...after removing the horn I cut the bracket off that was holding the horn to get more room where I wanted the filter to go...

My Cars

Cut hole in brake duct

After clearing the horn bracket out of the way, I used a kitchen knife to cut a 4" by 3" hole in the brake duct to let more cool air in...

My Cars

Installing CAI

Then it was just a matter of fitting the tube, hose and filter in the position I wanted it and tightening the hose clamps.

My Cars

Relocating horn

Whoever said to throw away the horn is crazy. One horn sounds like a dying duck. Here were the parts I had left when I removed the horn...

My Cars

Installing horn in different location

The 2 bronze looking metal pieces were perfect brackets for relocating the horn. The problem was since the airbox was gone the bolts that held the cruise contorl module in place were gone as well.

I found 2 nuts and bolts that fit and simply reattached the cruise control module while using the bronze strip of metal to hold the horn in place using the cruise control bracket.

This was the easiest part of the install, no cutting, drilling or anything and I keep my horn!

See pic...

My Cars

Finished install pics

Here is the end result...

My Cars

The test drive!

I took my car out and the first thing I noticed was that the Brullen exhaust I just installed seemed smoother. In fact the whole car seemed to idle better.

As I was driving I used the "m" shift mode in my automatic to really used the gears.

I can't tell you how much power I gained but lets just say the car FEELS more powerful if that makes sense. It seems to be running smoother with less effort.

I got it out on the freeway and thats where I could tell a difference. My car was passing cars more effortlessly than before. I didn't have to jam the pedal to the floor to get up and go. The throttle response is improved as well.

When I got home I touched the pipe and it was hot. I talked to a guy at a local performance shop (does N/A mods, drag cars and such) and he said the temperature of the pipe would not make that much of a difference. He did however say that if I wanted to, he had some insulation used for wrapping headers I could buy to insulate the pipe. I may still build a heat shield for the fun of it.

I am an average mechanic and I would give this install a 4 rating out of a 5 as far as ease of install. No blood spilt and it only took me 90 minutes.

I hope this helps anyone who may be thinking abput doing this themself.

I saved about $200.00, that make it worth it.

My Cars
    98 318ti (RIP), 97 m3, 99 528i
    great job, some insulation or high temp paint on the tube. and the heat shield would be a good idea as well.

My Cars
    Paid off
    Quote Originally Posted by Morea328i
    As I was driving I used the "m" shift mode in my automatic to really used the gears.
    I would be careful doing this, as I don't believe the "M" shift mode was designed for manual gear changes.

I used to do it, and I noticed it didn't feel very smooth. After reading the manual, It states to use the "M" mode for situations such as going down a hill. It simply keeps the car from down/up shifting.

My Cars
    Yeah, I know about the "m" thing. Just thought I'd try it to see how it felt. Don't plan on driving with it all the time. According to the manuel putting it in "3" position is "sport" mode. It seems to work just fine.

Thanks for looking out for me!

My Cars
    I've been getting some requests on other forums to supply the part number for the K&N 8" "Cone" filter I used in my CAI so here it is....

RE-0910

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by morea328i; 07-08-2004 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Silber M3
    erik is right the "m" mode is not for manual gear changes, it is for driving in the mountains so the tranny is not always shifting back and forth. Good job on the DIY!
    Happy ///Motoring

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Nice work.

You don't have euro ellipsoids, do you? Even if I remove the horn, I won't still have space to fit a pipe there

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    Nice work.

You don't have euro ellipsoids, do you? Even if I remove the horn, I won't still have space to fit a pipe there

No I don't have ellipsoids. I want to get them and I know this will be an issue later. Oh well, I'll just have to trim it back I guess...

My Cars
    BMW 328i 1996
    Looking good

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    where did you put that coolant tube that connects to the stock airbox? it looks good tho and I think I might go that route as well....I just can't see spending 300 bucks on something that can just as easily be done for 50- 75 bucks...oh and hows the sound..
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    95 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by widebody_bimmer
    where did you put that coolant tube that connects to the stock airbox? it looks good tho and I think I might go that route as well....I just can't see spending 300 bucks on something that can just as easily be done for 50- 75 bucks...oh and hows the sound..
    There is really no need to spend $300 when you can buy one of these, for $125 with a heatshield and K&N. A DIY intake is cool, but for the money you save and the quality, I'd rather spend the extra $50 or so....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
    95 M3 Euro Airbox/HFM, 21.5lb Inj, AA Software/Trackpipe/Gen 3, RaceTec Big Bore TB, H&R Sport/Bilstein, OMP Strut Bar , X-Brace, UUC SSK, ZKW w/HIDs. 227whp/207trq before URI Crank Pulley and 3.5" custom intake. "I want to believe"

My Cars
    E46 M3 and E36 325is
    That one on ebay, looks like a pos!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by widebody_bimmer
    The coolant tube connects to to the aluminum pipe that hold the filter. Simple as that. I left the hose longer (6") because it gave me flexibility to place the filter exactly where I wanted it, hose bends-aluminum doesn't

It sounds great, compliments the exhaust I have nicely. You can hear it sucking in air with the windows down...

My Cars
    95 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by 325iINjuly
    That one on ebay, looks like a pos!
    Please enlighten us on what a better intake is for the $$$. If you say the DIY intake is better your FOS. No offense to the guy that made his own... I respect that he did that but for someone that didn't get a free pipe a K&N filter is $40 + a $50 Mandrel bent pipe that is not even powdercoated comes close to the cost of this prefabbed unit without the heatshield, powder coating, silicone and clamps. You can lead a horse to water....
    95 M3 Euro Airbox/HFM, 21.5lb Inj, AA Software/Trackpipe/Gen 3, RaceTec Big Bore TB, H&R Sport/Bilstein, OMP Strut Bar , X-Brace, UUC SSK, ZKW w/HIDs. 227whp/207trq before URI Crank Pulley and 3.5" custom intake. "I want to believe"

My Cars

Retail cost vs. DIY cost

Quote Originally Posted by 95TigerM3
    Please enlighten us on what a better intake is for the $$$. If you say the DIY intake is better your FOS. No offense to the guy that made his own... I respect that he did that but for someone that didn't get a free pipe a K&N filter is $40 + a $50 Mandrel bent pipe that is not even powdercoated comes close to the cost of this prefabbed unit without the heatshield, powder coating, silicone and clamps. You can lead a horse to water....
    I bid on this CAI the last time one was for sale on ebay before I decided to DIY my CAI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

It did not sell for $125.00. It ended up selling for $152.00+$10.00 shipping.

As far as mandrel tubing being $50.00 I have to disagree. Check the link below, 14" piece of mandrel bent 3" aliuminum tubing for $27.99 shipped.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...X/appId-384177

I have my filter in the exact same place as the one on Ebay. I can tell you that the heat shield shown on the Ebay CAI isn't blocking much of anything. There is still plenty of room for warm air under there to get to the filter. I cut a hole in my brake duct for free to get cooler air directly to my filter.

I can go buy a can of 1000 degree engine block paint for $4.00 at WalMart and insulate my tube with that if I want. I think powdercoating is overkill. (I think the chrome tube looks cool for now)

When I talked to the guy at the performance shop I bought the filter from, he said that the temperature of the tube will NOT make a noticable difference as far as performance when the car is moving. (By the way this guy works at a performance shop that sells parts for top fuel dragsters and funny cars, he knows his shit)

A CAI is not the holy grail of performance, after reading a lot of threads on the subject, there is no reason to spend more than $75-$100 if you don't have to. They all basically do the same thing and provide the same gains.

Dinan CAI....$400.00
    Ebay CAI.....$162.00
    My DIY CAI..$ 54.00 ($82.00 if I had to buy aluminum tubing)

Extra money to use for other mods......priceless....

My Cars
    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, 92 325i/4
    good job

My Cars
    93 Spec E36
    very thrifty
    93 325is
    16 Golf R

previous rides:
    08 M3
    95 M3
    67 Camaro 327RS