Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best e30 for drag

My Cars
    M10*dead* :(,

best e30 for drag

ok guys i know this a newb question..

im looking into a another e30...what would be a decent drag car.. im looking at the 88-91 plactic bumper e30s...

ok i know e30s wont be that great on straight line but hey....im getting tired of imports thinking they are bad cause they beat my M10

haha thank you!

KenCopperwheat Guest
    First of all: why in the hell are you draggin an M10? It does the 1/4 in ~20 seconds.
    Second of all: There are no good e30s for dragging. They were never designed to be a drag car. But if you want a car to go fast in a straight line, I'd pick the M3; it'll be even better in the turns.

My Cars
    M3
    Mustang

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by Conepunter
    Mustang
    :

My Cars
    88 M3, 2000 prelude
    Not sure if this is a repost, but here's an e30 meant for drag.
    http://wes.albertacars.net/videos/m3_turbo.wmv
    That's a badass drag car. Supra never had a chance.

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Second of all: There are no good e30s for dragging. They were never designed to be a drag car.
    I wouldnt say that, there are videos on the net of E30 M3s doing 9 sec 1/4 miles with FI. Another swedish car, they seem to do all the insane things with E30s

My Cars
    90 E30 M3 S50
    Quote Originally Posted by ViEtNaMeEh
    ok guys i know this a newb question..

im looking into a another e30...what would be a decent drag car.. im looking at the 88-91 plactic bumper e30s...

ok i know e30s wont be that great on straight line but hey....im getting tired of imports thinking they are bad cause they beat my M10

haha thank you!
    If you have m3 money, get that. But for a much more affordable e30, then just get a 325i or 325is.

KenCopperwheat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking325i
    I wouldnt say that, there are videos on the net of E30 M3s doing 9 sec 1/4 miles with FI. Another swedish car, they seem to do all the insane things with E30s
    Of course with FI almost any car can be a drag car. You can get a civic to run 9s with FI.

I'm talking about normally aspirated e30s. The M3 is the only one really designed to race, and not on the drag strip.

My Cars
    haha how about hondas those werent meant for drag?

My Cars
    actually i think ill look into a mustang 5.0

My Cars
    84 325e
    No, they weren't, and they suck for drag, unless you go FI, like ken said.

My Cars
    i seen all motor civics run 13s easily

haha sorry im playing the devils advocate

My Cars
    90 E30 M3 S50
    i seen all motor civics run 13s easily

haha sorry im playing the devils advocate
    Well, what are you going to use the car for? Drag only? If that is the case and you want cheap performance, get a civic and gut it out completely.

My Cars
    i like bimmers though hehe

KenCopperwheat Guest
    Take it to the track. It's a lot more fun than going in a straight line for 20 seconds.

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    Yeah viet,
    there's no fun in dragracing a car slower then a dumptruck.
    Unless your racing against a dumptruck full of cinderblocks, you might
    just give it a run for it's money. lol

My Cars
    88 951, 96 LR Disco
    But who has the money to go to the track all the time? Not me. Most people just street race and when you street race its mostly drag racing. I'm looking at a
    325ix(AWD). I figure if I can get it making some power by way of F/I then the AWD should really help me put the power down. However if I were you i'd go just for a 325i. Their cheap Rwd and pretty light. Do some weight reduction and make it F/I and you will have a fast car in the turns AND in the straights. Or you could just do some weight reduction and get a 50/75/ or 100 shot of N20. That would put some umpf in your ride. And I dont care what people say N20 is no more cheating then any other mod.

My Cars
    E36 325i
    BMWAndreas I think his name is on here has done 10's in a 325 with F/I, maybe talk to him and get some ideas.

My Cars
    E30
    In that M3 video...there is NO WAY there was an S14 in there. Unless the sound was dubbed, that was a bigass V8 of some sort that I suppose was turbo'd. Aanyway, a turbo M20 can haul some pretty nice ass if you wanna drag.

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Most of the Swed cars are running FI on M30 motors. And that M3 looking car that has run 9's started out as a M10 powered 318i that has had lots of body work (including fenders and a HUGE FMIC).

The 325iX is nice in a non-modded state and get do 6K clutch drops with ease, having to grab 2nd gear at 30mph before you enter the crosswalk on the other side of an intersection. Ask me how I know. But once you start putting lots more power into it with FI or N2O, you run into drivetrain issues that aren't reall affordable for most people.

The M20B25 is actually a really good motor, minus the timing belt issue. FI or N20 would make it into a decent drag car, esp with a lot of weight reduction. There's PLENTY to strip out, as most autoX/track people will tell you. And at that point you have a decent RWD car to beat up on Honda's (like most of us like to do, whether we admit it or not).

You could always just add a NICE N2O system to your car. I'm not talking some stupid Dry System where you might blow your motor, Direct Port is the only way to go for true reliability. NOS has some neat new injectors that replace the factory fuel injectors, and then you plug up the N2O and fuel lines. They run the regular amount of fuel through them until you arm the N2O and then they run more fuel WITH the laughing gas to make sure each cylinder gets the right amount of N2O and fuel. You should be able to run this on your 318i and really shock people you've already raced. But obviously you would be able to take more advantage of this with the M20, being a biger motor to start with.

As for the S14 being a good drag car...not quite. It doesn't really have enough torque, which is good for not totally smoking the tires, but does hurt without the right gearing. I also stopped dragging mine over a year ago after I saw what I was doing to the tranny mounts. Let's just say I was still lucky to be able to find gears. This isn't just something for S14's though, so make sure you keep an eye on all your mounts and bushings, including the diff and rear subframe stuff. They tend to be old rubber stuff installed at the factory....
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    84 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by uberpanzer
    The 325iX is nice in a non-modded state and get do 6K clutch drops with ease
    Out of curiosity, how long does your clutch last?

My Cars
    1991 325i
    I am sorry, but whats a F/I?

My Cars
    force induction turbo, supercharger

thx actually ken i have my m10 for the turns...but i live in california where every weekend night i am on the streets with the imports hehe

My Cars
    2004.5 GLI
    actually i think ill look into a mustang 5.0
    Get a foxbody (spelling?)
    04.5 Jetta GLi

My Cars
    2005 325iT
    Street racing is for fags
    Rob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast