Thread: New battery flopping around in back

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

New battery flopping around in back

Recently I got an Optima red top battery, and when I installed it I noticed that the long bolt and bracket setup that sort of clamped the old battery in place doesn't really work with it. The Optima is considerably smaller than the old battery, so it isn't able to be secured by that bracket. And lately I've noticed some noises coming from the rear-right when I go over big bumps. I'm guessing it's the battery bouncing around.

So does anyone have any ideas on solving this? Has anyone else put an Optima in there and confronted this issue? Thanks.

My Cars
    m3
    buy and "L" piece and home depot or lowe's or whereever and use the stock rod but pull the clamp and there you go
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "L" piece. But you're saying replace the clamp that's on that bolt with this new piece? How will that keep the battery from bouncing up and down? The old battery had a bit of a lip on the base that the clamp pressed down on, thereby keeping it from traveling up and down. But this new battery has no such thing. So it seems that it will be impossible to keep it from bouncing. What do you think?

My Cars
    '04 Volvo S60R '99 Ford Ranger '06 Chevy Express
    i can't remember what i did when i put a red top in my old 318is a few years back, but it is possible to get it in there... a "L" bracket like suggested earlier can and will work
    bf.c common-sense club of america member #3

My Cars
    M3 (stole it!)
    JB Weld that puppy!

Just go to home depot and pick up that "L" shape thingy..