Thread: Ignition vs. Boost

My Cars
    E36M3 Turbo 1100hp, E46M3 Turbo under surgery

Ignition vs. Boost

As boost increases timing is retarded.

Currently, I run on 6,0:1 cr and 38-42 psi. Ignition is stock S50B32. Does anyone know how much advance the S50B32 has on WOT?

Question is how much advance can I run on this 38-42 psi? Now I have 0 timing, meaning stock ignition.

Last year cr was 10,0:1 and boost 26 psi. Ignition was 0 degrees. I have increased ignition by 10 degrees at WOT had no detonation and the car was 0,4 seconds faster in the 62-125 mph.

As I have no knock retard monitoring and no dyno the only way to see "how much boost at how much ignition timing" is to test and trial and error. Error means engine damage.

How can I increase timing? What should I look for?

As we added 10 degrees timing the car was faster.

Please do not say add boost and let timing stock. The GT42 has a limit and sooner or later I ll be at that limit where boosting more will not bring power.

Last set up: 38-42 psi, 6,0:1 cr, 11,2-11,6 AFRs, NGK racing plugs 5 degrees colder, 100 octane fuel.

Mert
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

E46 M3 SMG under turbo surgery

My Cars
    BMW338is
    When I saw your opinion for first time that with stock ignition you boost - I decide to put turbo but in sweden and finland where are the crazyest BMW I know this formula 0.1-0.5 bar boost you retard 1 degree per 0.1bar after 0.5 bar you retard 2 degree per 0.1 boost so at 1 bar - 14 psi you must retard 20degrees to have no problems with detonation - in your setup I think only the knocks sensor keep your engine of exploding but in this way there is slowing the information I think and it is not so perfect . I will suggest you take J & S SafeGuard see here what will help you http://www.jandssafeguard.com/ cheap and great detonation killer

A4 TDI
    E36 powered by M5 3.8 S38B38 340hp engine
    E30 M20 2.8 drag project

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    Quote Originally Posted by KAMIKADZE
    When I saw your opinion for first time that with stock ignition you boost - I decide to put turbo but in sweden and finland where are the crazyest BMW I know this formula 0.1-0.5 bar boost you retard 1 degree per 0.1bar after 0.5 bar you retard 2 degree per 0.1 boost so at 1 bar - 14 psi you must retard 20degrees to have no problems with detonation - in your setup I think only the knocks sensor keep your engine of exploding but in this way there is slowing the information I think and it is not so perfect . I will suggest you take J & S SafeGuard see here what will help you http://www.jandssafeguard.com/ cheap and great detonation killer

KamidKadze, will that work on a m20 , I mean , that engine has front distributor a one coil, will work anyways or is for DIS engines (individual coils like the M50 & UP)??
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R