Thread: First serious problem

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

First serious problem

I just got back from a little weekend vacation, so my car has been sitting in the driveway for almost five days. During those five days, a couple bad storms hit (i.e. a lot of rain). Lately, my car hasn't been starting with the greatest of ease. It usually takes a couple more turns of the starter (not the key... just one turn on the key) than it used to for the engine to come to life.

So I went out to my car just now, I turned the key, and all I get is a sort of fast, fairly loud clicking sound. The car obviously doesn't start. All the internal lights and radio and all that come on, so it's not battery related (I don't think). Any ideas on what it could be?

My Cars
    92 SLC, 99M, 93 SLC, Current is 97 M3
    Yes it is battery i believe. Those lights will still come on even if the battery is dead...the fast clicking sounds is what makes me believe it is the battery so go have it tested.

My Cars
    e36
    battery.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Yeah, just because the interior lights/radio works doesn't mean the battery has enough juice to start the car. Try to jumpstart it.

My Cars
    04 ZHP 17 X3 M-Sport
    Start w/the battery...When I bought mine last year, it had the original battery in it. I changed to Interstate and not had a problem since.
    "True peace is not merly the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Reposting something is not against the rules... somebody screaming that it's a "repost" is though.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Interesting. Where do you get Interstate batteries? Are Optimas any good? Thanks guys.

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    Yep, battery. Mine does it more often that I would like...lol.

Why not just push start it (assuming you have a 5 speed).

Turn key to ON position, roll car, put in 2ND gear, and pop the clutch...she should start. Note: If the battery is totally cooked, it wont run, period, but I doubt thats the case.

Go on a nice 30 minute drive and she should be charged up enough to gp from there.

I would not jump the car...BMW electronics are SENSITIVE. Rather, if you dont like the push start method, disconnect the battery and put it on a charger for a while. Tim

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    s50 m3
    battery or starter...

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ////\/\ark
    Interesting. Where do you get Interstate batteries? Are Optimas any good? Thanks guys.
    I have idea about the validity of this, but I heard that you can't get Interstate car batteries anymore, that the name changed to something else. Don't remember what though.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    All the internal lights and radio and all that come on, so it's not battery related (I don't think)
    The starter motor takes considerably more current to function than the radio and lights do, yet a lot of BMW owners fail to understand that simple concept. Just because the radio turns on does NOT mean the battery is "good".
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox
    I would not jump the car...BMW electronics are SENSITIVE.
    I've never heard of someone damaging the car's electronics by jumping it. BMW put a pos. terminal in the engine bay just for that purpose. Either a jump or a rolling start should work fine.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I tried a roll start but I couldn't get it to go. So I just ran to pep boys, got an Optima red top, and it works great now. Thanks for the help. Do you think I should consider changing out my alternator now? Could that have been why the battery crapped out?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Could that have been why the battery crapped out?
    Not likely, batteries typically die from inactivity. The longer they sit without being charged, the worse they get. Most likely your battery wasn't in great shape to start with and sitting for a week finished it off.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    '03 AW Dinan M5
    Aren't you relieved that your problem isn't really "serious" ?

gotta love when it's somewhat of an easy fix.

Also, after this happened I picked up one of those battery boosters from Costco and I keep it in my trunk. It's $60 and it even comes with an air compressor that you can use at the track/autoX.

'03 ///M5

My Cars
    04 ZHP 17 X3 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by surfacewound
    I have idea about the validity of this, but I heard that you can't get Interstate car batteries anymore, that the name changed to something else. Don't remember what though.
    Just did a quick google search...looks like the name pops up for car batteries...so I dunno...

I got my battery from a local Independent BMW shop...Stealer also sells original BMW battery for a premium...and I was told Interstate is one of the best batteries around. In fact, my local Stealer kept them as an option for their customers...but now only carries BMW Batteries.
    "True peace is not merly the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Reposting something is not against the rules... somebody screaming that it's a "repost" is though.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Sedan, 533i

Battery Problems

In addition to all the good info listed, it is also common for the battery connection or ground wire to become corroded, causing the same symptom. Normally, you will receive some fault codes showing charging system problems prior to a battery really dying.

My Cars
    95 m3,04 Tahoe Z71
    I dont think there is anything to show that.The corrosion is probably due to the battery being old and having to work too hard.The sides sometimes bulge out.I've had on 2 occasions the battery drop a cell.You can jump it,bump it but the starter will not start it.Just clean it up and make sure you have the vent hose connected.
    Martin
    12/95 alpine white m3.Last of the breed

My Cars
    95 M3
    also remember not to let the battery sit idle too long. Battires discharge every moment they aren't in use. With motorcycles it's even more so. You can kill a brand new bike battery by letting it just sit for a month sometimes.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 318daily
    Aren't you relieved that your problem isn't really "serious" ?

gotta love when it's somewhat of an easy fix.
    Absolutely. It's funny... I've been driving around since I replaced the battery, and it just feels so good. Those few hours of having a "broken" car really made me realize how nice it is to have the M. So thanks again for all the help guys.