Thread: opinions from people with DDE or HID

My Cars
    '04 R32

opinions from people with DDE or HID

I'm looking for people who have had ellipsoids with DDE at one point and then they also had ellipsoids with just HID (no dde). What kind of improvement in lighting would the ellipsoids with dde and h1 bulbs be over stock? I know HID is just plain awesome, but I think the dde is pretty cool too, and I could get the red/clear tails with the money saved. Umnitza, you can reply but I hope you don't tell me to get zkw's with top of the line everything because you think all other products are inferior.

Thanks guys

My Cars
    '04 330ci zhp
    This has been said before: "The change from US Spec to ellipsoids was a big difference, but the HID upgrade is just plain AWESOME". I forgot who said that, but after I bought my HID kit I understood exactly what he was talking about.

DDE has no functional purpose except to show off. HID is both functional (man, it is SO much brighter) and looks freakin' beautiful.

Still though, once you get ellipsoids, depending on where you live it's not like you *need* HID. When you make the transition from US Spec to ellipsoids, you'll already be able to actually see at night and be happy.

So it depends on how badly you want to really turn heads and be unique. If thats the case, get ZKWs and DDE and get HID later. If thats not the case, then (and this is my suggestion) get ZKWs and HID.. and later DDE. DDE might not look right with halogen bulbs though, I don't think I've ever seen it. Maybe with Super-white bulbs.

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Skip the dde's and get the HIDs. Ever since angel eyes have started popping up on japanese cars around town, I haven't liked them.
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    i would think gen V's would look good with halogen bulbs, even the CCFL ones... remember... DDE's are for show... so u make the choice of... is it worth the money or not? ellipsoids spread light much better than teh stock headlights... i say its a good investment and u will see the difference, pun intended.

My Cars
    '04 R32
    Yeah I've determined to just get HID. HID looks great driving, plus I'd rather have a mod that is actually worthwhile rather than a showoff mod. Should be blinding other drivers in a couple weeks

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    i have all three. when i pull up to a 3 with the stock lights you really realize how much of an improvement ellipsoids and hid make.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    I freakin love my DDE's. The HID's light up the road 10x better than stock, the DDE's are more for show. You wouldnt believe the looks you rolling around at dusk with them on. Heres a comparison between the stock and the HID... Ill try to get a good nighttime shot...

My Cars
    M5, E61

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Thankyou sir! I might be getting another set of Euro lights and maybe 2 more HID kits from you. One for my fogs and one for my wifes car. IM ADDICTED!

My Cars
    1998 328is
    I still have the stock US/Canada headlights and you guys are right couldn't see S*** at night so I did the famous 9006-9005 conversion with some super white PIAA bulbs,
    result? very damn brighter then before and when I compare it with other cars, mine is a lot brighter. It's not really focused as ellipsoids but I can see signs on the road from distance very easily. Thanks to 20% high beam

My Cars
    97 Silver 328i, S52
    Well... Umnitza is really pretty correct. If you want DDEs and you want Euro Projectors, ZKWs are the way to go unless you have the bling for Hellas. I bought Inpros, which are cheaper, but are suppsed to be a good product, and I have had nothing but problems. The DDEs failed on my Inpro's a few times, and I've had tons of problems with the poorly sealing glass.

I think I have them to a point where they work ok now, but as soon as I have the cash I'm calling Matt and ordering a quality product. Consider the 350 I spent on Inpro's thrown away.

My Cars
    e30 325i, e36 m3 sedan
    if you wanted both DDE's and HID's, is it better to buy the ZKW w/ DDE package and then install the HID's or buy the ZKW's with HID's and then install the DDE's?
    e30 1989 325i coupe, Alpine White

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    get the zkw's with dde's and then go for hids.

hit me up when you get hids ill give you some info on mounting them.

you still want that center console?

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    True, a lot easier having the DDE's preinstalled. HID's are pretty much just plugging in a bulb and mounting and grounding the ballast

My Cars
    MB's
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanks21
    True, a lot easier having the DDE's preinstalled. HID's are pretty much just plugging in a bulb and mounting and grounding the ballast
    I agree, that's what I did. I have zkw's w/dde lightnings and I'm using vizu hyperwhites while saving up for hid's.
    Mark

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    Does any one know hard hard it is to convert the inpros (h1 bulbs) to HID?

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    It's not hard at all. The H1 HID bulb just takes the place of the bulb that you have in there now. The HID kits come with the bulbs and the ballasts so you just swap the bulbs and mount the ballasts, thats all.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    yep really easy

My Cars
    M5, E61
    "I hope you don't just go to the most expensive product".

The common misconception on this forum is that we actually make more money because the product is higher priced, so that MUST be why we direct you to it.

BALOGNA!

We make a substantially lower profit on those lights than we do on DEPO - OMG?????

Yes, let me repeat, we make a substantially lower profit on ZKW than on DEPO.

Why in the world would we refer you to the lower profit product are we stupid?????

Yes, and no.

We like to minimize our support which costs us money over the long haul, we have NO support issues with ZKWs. NONE, ZIPPO, ZILCH.

DEPO = fogging this, wavy that, wiring this, fitment that.

Now, YES, we sell both...but here is my EXACT recommendation - take it with a GRAIN of salt...

It makes NO sense to install the DDE Lightning Plus or Enhanced unless you have the most skilled of hands. Just 1 breakage of ring, and all of a sudden not only is your time of no value, but you now need a new ring and it isn't inexpensive.

So, get the DDE w/ ZKW or DEPO and save save save for the HIDs, they are easier to install.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Its bOlogna Matt Oscar Mayer has a way with it...

Its still beyond me why people would be willing to save that little amount of money on a car Im sure theyve spent way too much on for a product that they KNOW is not as good quality. I will only buy ZKW from now on. I have it on my M and I will buy it for my 328i. And the only person I will buy it from is Matt.