Thread: Creaking from left-rear

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Creaking from left-rear

In short, there's a strange sort of knocking/creaking sound coming from the left-rear when that corner goes over slight bumps or if I pull into a driveway with a small curb at the foot. So basically, this noise happens whenever the car is sort of "twisted" if that makes any sense.

I just recently got the car checked out, and the mechanic said he didn't notice anything. And he said he checked the RSMs and said they looked good (I replaced them fairly recently). But I can't think that this is a normal sound, given that it's only coming from one side.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be? Could worn shocks make such noises? RTABs? Loose diff from broken diff bolt?

My Cars
    08 E92 M3
    Hmm maybe those e46 rsm's arent cuttin it? Maybe you should step up to the GC ones?

My Cars
    '95 M3 '98 GSXR 750
    It could also be the rear valance coming loose and rubbing again the exhaust.
    If not I would check the RSM’s and the RTAB’s to makes sure they are ok. I would go for the JT RSM if you need new ones.

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    I had that one my car and it was a small crack on the strut tower. I checked the tower several times and never saw it. But about a week later, it became visible. I got some quick welds on it but they never lasted. Basically I got done about a week ago with it, they had to cut the tower out and put a new one in. That fixed it.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    are you refering to a creaking from the interior rubbing against itself or about something more in the trunk?
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    m3
    I sometimes hear a clicking noise, no idea what it is.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JT///M3
    are you refering to a creaking from the interior rubbing against itself or about something more in the trunk?
    I really don't know. It sometimes sounds like it's coming from right behind me, like, something with the interior. It doesn't really sound faint enough to be coming from the suspension, but I'm not sure. I tried taking out the rear seats and looking around, but I couldn't find anything suspicious. I guess it could be something from the trunk.

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ////\/\ark
    I really don't know. It sometimes sounds like it's coming from right behind me, like, something with the interior. It doesn't really sound faint enough to be coming from the suspension, but I'm not sure. I tried taking out the rear seats and looking around, but I couldn't find anything suspicious. I guess it could be something from the trunk.
    This may sound crazy, but I had a similar noise at one time that drove me absolutely BATTY!!!! After a trip or two to the dealer, it was determined to be the rear parcel shelf rubbing against the seat backs. They greased the entire plastic area there and the lock with lithium grease...and bye bye noise.... The plastic area I'm referring to can be found by putting your rear seats down....it's the basically the front edge of the parcel shelf, that runs horizontal across the back. Just apply some lithium grease, then spread it evenly over the plastic with a towel or something. Be generous, it does no harm either way.

Try that out, it just might be it!!
    Last edited by ///M3ryder NY; 05-06-2004 at 08:08 AM.
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It could be a worn out rear sway bar link. That would explain why you hear the sound when the car is "twisting" (when one wheel is trying to move the other via the sway bar). Try getting under the car and reefin' on the sway bar a bit. See if you can duplicate the noise.

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoM3
    It could be a worn out rear sway bar link. That would explain why you hear the sound when the car is "twisting" (when one wheel is trying to move the other via the sway bar). Try getting under the car and reefin' on the sway bar a bit. See if you can duplicate the noise.

This could be it too.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    On my car, one of the front "studs" that hold the rear suspension carrier (subframe) was slightly loose. It would make very much the same sound you are describing, particularly when accelerating, even gently. The fix was to lower the subframe and tighten the stud (a lot harder that it sounds ).

The other thing that I can think of would be the rear trailing arm bushings. These should be replaced at 60k miles, or more frequently if you are hard on the car (autox, DE...).

You already checked the RSM, so other than interior squeaking, I an not sure what the problem would be.

Bernman

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Well just as an update... I went and checked the RSMs just now, and everything looked great.

So on a sneaking suspicion, I folded the rear seatbacks down and went for a drive. As far as I could tell, no more creaking! : I didn't think it would be something so simple.

So ///M3ryder NY, I may give your solution a shot and see if it helps get rid of the noise while the seatbacks are up.

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ////\/\ark
    Well just as an update... I went and checked the RSMs just now, and everything looked great.

So on a sneaking suspicion, I folded the rear seatbacks down and went for a drive. As far as I could tell, no more creaking! : I didn't think it would be something so simple.

So ///M3ryder NY, I may give your solution a shot and see if it helps get rid of the noise while the seatbacks are up.
    That's precisely how I determined my creaking issue...folded the seats down. Duh, I should have mentioned that... Lithium grease will fix it...just apply it sparingly with a towel over the plastic area and the lock, where the seat backs meet the rear deck shelf.
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>

My Cars
    m3
    I have a clicking sound that i can hear both outside and inside the car. It seems to be comming from the left rear. It has nothing to do with the seats.. Any ideas?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Well I have to say that I am *thoroughly* impressed. I did the lithium grease trick, and it worked like a charm. No more noise. I can't believe it was something so dumb this whole time. Man, I can't tell you how much better I feel going over slight bumps without that stupid creaking. It always made me feel like my left-rear was going to fall off. Now it's back to enjoying my car!

Thanks ///M3ryder NY!!

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    Glad I could help... I felt the same sense of relief once I diagnosed the noise....It makes a huge difference...noises can drive ya nuts!

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantic
    I have a clicking sound that i can hear both outside and inside the car. It seems to be comming from the left rear. It has nothing to do with the seats.. Any ideas?
    Ever figure out what the noise was caused by? I have that same problem and it comes and goes, but this time it is louder and more apparent