Thread: Uh-oh. Koni install turning into $$$$ nightmare

My Cars
    2007 328xi coupe

Angry Uh-oh. Koni install turning into $$$$ nightmare

Well, I've been talking about getting Koni's, etc. for some time now. They arrived yesterday, and I brought them and my M3 to my mechanic this morning (along with instructions from that druidhill website).

My mechanic was like sure, no problem, won't take long at all...maybe an hour or two.

5 hours later, I drive up to the shop to check on the progress. When I walk into the office, he looks at me and says "Wow I didin't know we had to take your entire car apart."

I cautiously laugh and ask what the problem is. He basically said it was taking about 2.5 hrs per side, and they still had about an hour left.

Um, this is going to end up costing me like $600-700 in labor...I knew I should have got the Bilsteins or the GC kit. Damnit. :

Oh yeah, did I predict this, or what?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...86&postcount=5

Attached is a pic of the driver side under the knife (taken like 10 minutes ago).

I need a beer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Cosmos Black, 1992 Toyota 4runner
    Wow, go easy on that brake line!!!!
    1995 E36 M3 Cosmos/Dove grey
    Euro-floating rotors/Axxis Ultimates/Stoptech SS lines
    E39 M5 trunk lip spoiler, AA exhaust, GC RTAB shims/GC RSMs
    Euro airbox and snorkel/540 HFM/24# injectors/JimC chip/BW intake boot
    X-brace, UUC tranny mounts w/TMEs, ZKWs

My Cars
    2007 328xi coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth
    Wow, go easy on that brake line!!!!
    Lovely. Guess I'll be replacing this soon as well.
    EDIT: One more thing. I've read about some factory struts being 2mm smaller than the Koni inserts...well, guess what? Mine were smaller. The mechanic had to scrape the yellow paint off of each insert in order for them to fit. He said he would have sent them back, but since my car was taken apart already, he improvised.

I hold nothing against my shop...they are very trustworthy (worked at BMW dealerships for over 15 years). I am just angry becuase I didn't budget this amount of $$ for this install. It's an unpleasant surprise. :

On top of this, I have to install the rears today, and get an alignment tomorrow. Over $1K already, and I dont' even have coilovers or new springs. :
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 04-30-2004 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Your mechanic is a freaking moron, tell him to secure that caliper NOW! You don't need to take the car any futher apart to install Konis than you do to install Bilsteins. Your guy just doesn't know WTF he's doing and would've botched any strut install as witnessed by the stretched out brake line.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    2006 VBP RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer95
    Your mechanic is a freaking moron, tell him to secure that caliper NOW! You don't need to take the car any futher apart to install Konis than you do to install Bilsteins. Your guy just doesn't know WTF he's doing and would've botched any strut install as witnessed by the stretched out brake line.

yeah, your tie rod rubber boot is being stretched to the max! have him put a lug bolt in and tie some rope or a bungy to the top strut tower area.

My Cars
    E36, E46

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer95
    What he said.

I'm not a mechanic and I managed to figure it out. Where I come from, we call that "getting @#$"
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 01-14-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: profanity
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    My mechanic did the Bilsteins in about two hours, front and rear. Sorry to hear things are going that great on your end. The ride is amazing though very stiff. I had the Koni's on there before, but I notice the Bilsteins as more stiff and somewhat more "responsive."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz
    My mechanic did the Bilsteins in about two hours, front and rear. Sorry to hear things are going that great on your end. The ride is amazing though very stiff. I had the Koni's on there before, but I notice the Bilsteins as more stiff and somewhat more "responsive."
    You got the newer, "revised" Bilsteins?

your mechanic doesn't know what hes doing if it took him that long.

hes ripping you off.
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by ////\/\ark
    You got the newer, "revised" Bilsteins?
    I got them from Turner Motorsports last week. I was not aware of any revisions or changes in the Bilstein design. He also replaced the RSMs and front strut mounts in the two hour time block. Does that seem to fast or too slow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    1997 M3 coupe, Nissan truck, 1998 M3 sedan
    It should take no more than 3hrs period. That's if you've never done it before.
    Minor intake and exhaust mods
    Technique Tuning software
    385.5whp 351wtq @ 8.5psi
    Unorthodox underdrive pulleys
    GC track/school suspension
    18x8 and 18.9.5 Forgeline Comps

My Cars
    2007 328xi coupe
    Well, maybe I over-reacted. I just called my mechanic and asked him how much I can expect to pay. He said it took over 5 hrs, but he would only charge me for 3 hrs, $213. I am a regular customer of his, and he really did give me a break. They are swamped today, and my car occupied the bay all morning.

Still, it appears from your posts that the person doing the work (not the head mechanic) should have taken better care of the brake line, etc. I'll keep this in mind next time I have something major done (I usually watch them work on my car when I have time--chance to learn things).

Thanks for the responses. Time to put the rears on before it gets dark. BTW, my mechanic recommended 3/4 turn for the rears, and 1/2 for the front (street driving). Agree?

My Cars
    95 M3, 05 F-150 STX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifto
    It should take no more than 3hrs period. That's if you've never done it before.
    Yeah, and it only takes that long because you need to cut the strut housings.

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    I have mine set to 1/4 turn back from full stiff on front and rear and am happy with that for combo street/track.

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 07 Tahoe
    If you wanted to save some $ do the rears yourself. Hardest part about the rears is pulling the trunk lining. Sooo easy. Glad he isn't charging you the full time. Koni's you have to cut and gut but w/o a full shop of tools and a lift I can pull the fronts and replace in about 45min to a hour a side.

I would certainly keep an eye on that connection - make sure they know you know if you know what I am saying. Length of wire through the top strut through mount up to the strut tower works too.
    97 Alpinweiss M3/4 5spd

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heoric hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to see, to find, and not to yield.
    - Tennyson, "Ulysses"

My Cars
    2006 Passat 2.0T
    whoever did your car is really a moron, because you dont need to scrap anything off the koni struts...just lay down some 2X4's on the ground and spray some WD-40 inside the gutted struts, and place the koni's as far as they will go into the housing, and once it starts resisting, then tap the whole assembly down on the wooden 2X4's and it will slide really nice all the way in...he might be generous and trustworthy, but that doesn't make him smart...a smart mechanic is what you need...

My Cars
    Looking
    Are Koni's the only shock that make you cut your car up to fit?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ster
    Are Koni's the only shock that make you cut your car up to fit?

I think so, but not sure why Koni doesn't make a full strut for M3's.

Cutting and gutting old one's was fairly easy. I guess I got lucky bc I bought used struts from Clubsport332ti as I didn't want to take a chance of running into problems and have my suspension all balled up so I couldn't use my car.
    Just a matter of finding time to do the swap now.

I'd watch out for that brake line. Shouldn't be stretched.

My Cars
    2016 X5 xDrive35d
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinned
    whoever did your car is really a moron, because you dont need to scrap anything off the koni struts...just lay down some 2X4's on the ground and spray some WD-40 inside the gutted struts, and place the koni's as far as they will go into the housing, and once it starts resisting, then tap the whole assembly down on the wooden 2X4's and it will slide really nice all the way in...he might be generous and trustworthy, but that doesn't make him smart...a smart mechanic is what you need...
    This is all I had to do. I just did a pile driver sort or thing holding onto the strut housing and the weight of the Koni drove itself in. Although, I did have to file a high spot in one of my strut housings.

The guy that did this install needs to invest in some cheap coat hangers. They work great for tying up calipers.
    '13 BMW X1 xDrive28i
    '02 Porsche 996 Turbo
    '08 VW R32
    '99 BMW K1200RS

My Cars
    97 M3
    As everyone else said in the thread, that mechanic is insane. Any mechanic worth his salt is would NOT leave your brake line stretched like that.
    97 M3/2

My Cars
    '97 M3/2 Boston Green lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr
    I think so, but not sure why Koni doesn't make a full strut for M3's.

Cutting and gutting old one's was fairly easy. I guess I got lucky bc I bought used struts from Clubsport332ti as I didn't want to take a chance of running into problems and have my suspension all balled up so I couldn't use my car.
    Just a matter of finding time to do the swap now.

I'd watch out for that brake line. Shouldn't be stretched.
    The reason Koni only makes the insert is some legal mumbo-jumbo or a patent issue. I believe Bilstein is the only non OEM manufacturer that makes a complete E36 strut.

The inserts were a tight fit when I did them on my M, but a 2x4 and sledgehammer was all it took to tap them in there. Sounds like your mechanic hasn't done this process before? It is a bit more monkey work, but not terribly difficult.

I agree with Texas M3/4...do the rear's yourself. Hardest part was removing the CD changer and getting all the trunk lining out of the way.

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    all the mechanics i went to said the same thing. once they actually took the car apart they where like we cant do this. that pissed me off the most bc my car is in peices and they r telling me this now.

im taking my car to AA and theyve done this before and there charging me $480 aligned. that is there flat rate and they change all 4 shocks n stuff.