Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ///M3 Badge Template Dilema

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

///M3 Badge Template Dilema

Take a look at this template. What is wrong is obvious. Look at the dimension lines for "B" it says it is 33mm. Now look at the dimension lines for "A" it says 40mm, but is narrower that "B".

One of two possibilities.

1. "A" is suposed to be 33mm and "B" is suposed to be 40mm.

2. The written dimensions A=40mm, B=33mm, C=10mm is correct, but the
    drawing is not to scale.

How you can help:

Method 1: Post a digital closeup that has the curve and angle of the badge
    from a trunk lid where it is the original factory placed badge.

Method 2: Measure the "B" distance and the "A" distance and the "C"
    distance. Don't worry if it's in inches, I can do the math (25.4)

I'm going to make an actual size paper template in autocad so if any of us has to, or wants to install new ///M 3 emblems in the future it won't be a problem. I appreciate the help.

Hank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hank; 04-17-2004 at 04:52 PM.
    1995 M3 Alpine White 4/94 production date. Clear Corners, E46 metal pedals, X-brace, Euro Floating Rotors, Motorsport Strut Brace, H&R Coilover Suspension, Kmac Camber Plates, Ground Control Adjustable Sway Bar End Links, UUC TME's, UUC TSE, JC Euro HFM, ZKW's + DDE's, Powerflex RTAB (thanks Mrob Gang) Clear Projector Indicators, New window molding and sill rubber. Bavarian Silver Powder Coated Original Motorsport 10 spokes. Benfer Performance Black Powder Coated OBD-I Valve Cover.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3
    Here's a picture, sorry couldn't find a ruler with millimeters
    1 inch = 2.54 cm
    1cm = 0.3937 inch
    1999 M3 Cosmos 5-Spd Coupe
    Mods list got too big, so look it up at cardomain.com if you're interested.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Sorry for no digital picture but my 96 M3 measures 45mm for "A" and 33mm for "B" and 10mm for "C".

My vote is for the diagram not being drawn to scale.

Brian

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Norlin Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norlin
    Here's a picture, sorry couldn't find a ruler with millimeters
    1 inch = 2.54 cm
    1cm = 0.3937 inch
    Could you also post one of just the "///M 3" badge no rulers.

Getting close, almost there...Thanks Guys,

Hank
    1995 M3 Alpine White 4/94 production date. Clear Corners, E46 metal pedals, X-brace, Euro Floating Rotors, Motorsport Strut Brace, H&R Coilover Suspension, Kmac Camber Plates, Ground Control Adjustable Sway Bar End Links, UUC TME's, UUC TSE, JC Euro HFM, ZKW's + DDE's, Powerflex RTAB (thanks Mrob Gang) Clear Projector Indicators, New window molding and sill rubber. Bavarian Silver Powder Coated Original Motorsport 10 spokes. Benfer Performance Black Powder Coated OBD-I Valve Cover.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Put me on the list for the finished .dwg.

Can't help with any pictures, though. . . my car's debadged.
    Brent
    98 M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3
    Sorry for the delay, haven't been online...been working on my suspension...here it is (dirty car I know, I'm gonna wash it monday or tuesday eve) The image is taken level with a tripod from straight on height and pretty much straight angle. Funny how the M looks slanted (oh oh, the front of the car is jacked up high might be why...)

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Norlin, Norlin, Norlin..

Quote Originally Posted by norlin
    Sorry for the delay, haven't been online...been working on my suspension...here it is (dirty car I know, I'm gonna wash it monday or tuesday eve) The image is taken level with a tripod from straight on height and pretty much straight angle. Funny how the M looks slanted (oh oh, the front of the car is jacked up high might be why...)
    "Pretty much Straight!?" What kina beer you been drinking under dat car? No seriously the pic was enough to tell me I'm on track. Not totally finished with the template but this is how it'll look..and Norlin, what are you doing to your suspension if I might ask?

Thanks Guys,

Hank

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Does this look correct to you?

This is a template and superimposed rear showing the position of the ///M 3 badge in relation to the lid, taillight, and rear right fender. I want to do this in the next 1-2 hours so if you can get a look at your car post me with a yea, or nah. It's set to the spec drawing one of you guys sent me.

"A" 40mm, "B" 33mm and "C" 10mm.

It looks about right to me, but if I see another M I might try to ask him to pull over so I can lay the template over his lid and confirm.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Hank

My Cars
    2007 328xi coupe
    Hmm. You interested in selling a copy of that template :icon23:? I'm debadged, and might want to re-apply an M3 badge soon.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank
    "Pretty much Straight!?" What kina beer you been drinking under dat car? No seriously the pic was enough to tell me I'm on track. Not totally finished with the template but this is how it'll look..and Norlin, what are you doing to your suspension if I might ask?

Thanks Guys,

Hank
    Ha ha ha, I wasn't in my right mind, I'm sooo sick this weekend, all those penetrating oil fumes. For my suspension I'm putting on the GC track/school kit...it's slow going, taking too many pictures, planning on writing up a DIY as I haven't found one for the GC kit out there...

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    This is a template and superimposed rear showing the position of the ///M 3 badge in relation to the lid, taillight, and rear right fender. I want to do this in the next 1-2 hours so if you can get a look at your car post me with a yea, or nah. It's set to the spec drawing one of you guys sent me.

"A" 40mm, "B" 33mm and "C" 10mm.

It looks about right to me, but if I see another M I might try to ask him to pull over so I can lay the template over his lid and confirm.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Hank
    If you're interested, please send me an electronic copy of your template and I'll try it on both M3's (with factory installed badges) at my house. I can verify whether it's accurate or not.

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

I'm right in the middle of Laundry at my Fiance's

(shades of things to come) So I don't have access to the autocad.dwg file right now, but be assured it won't cost anyone any money. (love you guys, ((not in a ghey way)). So once it's confirmed that this is the correct template, if you PM me with your email address, I will attach the file (it's 8-1/2" x 11" so it's easy to print). Right now you can help me out by measuring (inches or mm is fine) The "A" & "B" dimension on your original badge mounted car, or take a digital closeup exactly (Not like NoNo Norlin's) perpendicular to the trunk.

Thanks,

Hank

P.S. Norlin when we gonna see some pics, sounds like a ambitious project. I punked my own suspension setup and had EvoSport do my H&R coilovers as well as a bunch of other stuff. Are you going to install camber plates as well?

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Right now you can help me out by measuring (inches or mm is fine) The "A" & "B" dimension on your original badge mounted car, or take a digital closeup exactly (Not like NoNo Norlin's) perpendicular to the trunk.
    Will do.

My email is: eurospec19@hotmail.com

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Here's a pic of my bro's M3 (it desperately needs a wash). I still have to measure A and B, though...

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Still don't have confirmation

[QUOTE=Hank Right now you can help me out by measuring (inches or mm is fine) The "A" & "B" dimension on your original badge mounted car.[/QUOTE]

Still need this, and as soon as I get it I'll release the template (got 2 requests so far, so someone help me out so I can send them) I don't want to feel responsible for seeing a bunch of ///M's on the road with goofy looking badges. Please someone confirm the measurements.

Hank

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    A=45mm
    B=34mm

My Cars
    E92 335i xdrive msport
    I would help... but my badge is missing.... This template would be GREAT! I'd love to have a copy... when you're finished with it.

Brian
    nflguy007@aol.com

My Cars
    I would love to help too but my M3 Badges were installed improperly by the respray shop. I would also be interested in a copy of the template so that I can fix this problem .

Thanks for doing this Hank!
    -Alex
    "Are you drunk again?"
    "No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking."

My Cars
    SMG
    Hank and everyone else. You are taking a step in the wrong direction. You need to remove the badge and be stealthy...

you know all those ///M badges you see on the back of toyota corollas? well they had to come from somewhere.

How do you like the though of a teenager with a screwdriver taking a whack at your car to take off that badge.

You think he is being careful with your precious paint???

Naw, he dont care. He just wants the M badge...
    Milltek pipes. Ground control coilovers. Conforti Tuned. V1 & iPod hardwired

My Cars
    07 335i Sedan
    This is a 98 M3/4. Measurements are to the closest edge of the gaps from the corner of the 3.
    A=35 B=34mm C=10

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Update 04-25-04

Today my fiance spotted an identical 95 ///M 3 (alpine white as well). We waited around the parking lot until the owner returned, explained to the lady that I had the identical car, and wanted to see if the paper cutout template fit over her installed badges. Suprisingly the 40mm "A" dimension was more like 35mm. I marked my template but haven't had the time to measure and confirm yet. Last weekend I tried to press lightly on the self stick emblems and the reason I took them off is that they did look too high (just on memory). Unfortunately I dumbed out and didn't ask her if she was the original owner, but two things she said led me to believe so. She said there was never any work done to the trunk, but mentioned some front end collision work. The other thing she mentioned was that she was still on the original clutch at 150k. (wonder if she still has the plastic waterpump? whoa!)

If her trunk is original and I'm betting it is, is it possible that 95 coupes had their badges set at 35mm. It might even come down to lets say for example it was Hans' or Heinz, or Helmut's or Wolfgangs spot on the assembly line in 1995 and they were plunking them on at 35mm. In 1996 someone else was doing it, and 40mm looked right to their eye who knows.

After I check another car in person or get more confirmed measurements, I'm thinking 35mm (approx see above) is the correct measurement. Whether their is any documented difference with 96 and up vehicles I highly doubt.

Would like more measurements taken for the "A" dimension though.

Thanks,

Hank

P.S. As soon as this is done and I correct my template, It'll be available for email.

My Cars
    E36 M3 + 2010 XT
    I was about to re-badge my alpine white coupe, and noticed that the badges (both ///M and 3) are curved to fit the trunk; the trunk is not flat back there, so the badges only sit properly at a certain level. Please use this information when determining the template location.

Keep in mind that sedan/coupe trunks are different and I think that the 1995 badges rest lower than the 96+.

Can you email the template? I can hit some random M3s to check its accuracy...

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    I just measured the badge on my 94 M3:

A=34mm
    B=44mm

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

Big Lun

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lun
    I just measured the badge on my 94 M3:

A=34mm
    B=44mm
    This almost solves the dilema in the first post where either the drawing was not to scale or the A and B dimensional text was placed incorrectly.

Also what ///AlpinePower said: I think are both correct statements

"Keep in mind that sedan/coupe trunks are different and I think that the 1995 badges rest lower than the 96+."

Look Closely at the template in post 1. Theres a little handwritten "x" near the "A" dimension. Wonder if that had any significance to anyone.

No template release yet until all this is corrected. Good hand measurements on original, first owner, non-repaired trunks listing year, coupe or sedan is still what is needed. I will not be responsible for a nation of Goofy Badged ///M's.

Hank

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 94 Civic EX Coupe
    Figure I'd post, even though I'm the 2nd owner. I'm 99% sure the trunk was not repaired, repainted, nor altered. All the lines on the car look perfect, and the seller was very honest about everything. I feel comfortable that he was telling me the truth. So, keep this in mind as you read my measurements.

I have a 98 4-door.
    A = 33-34 mm
    B = 31-32 mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast