Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra vs. Turbo M3? Greddy T88H vs. Garrett GT42/51R

My Cars
    E36M3 Turbo 1100hp, E46M3 Turbo under surgery

Toyota Supra vs. Turbo M3? Greddy T88H vs. Garrett GT42/51R

A good friend of mine has a Toyota Supra in Istanbul, Turkey.

He spent almost 150,000 USD on the car.
    Modification list:
    Power House Racing Spec pistons
    Carillo rods
    Ported and polished head
    Over size valves
    274 degree camshafts
    Underdrive pullyes
    Vernier pulleys
    Greddy T88H turbocharger
    Greddy exhaust manifold
    1,200 cc injectors
    Veilside intake manifold
    Big intercooler
    HKS exhaust system
    AEM stand alone
    Greddy oil cooler
    Aftermarket fans
    Aftermarket radiator
    DLI ignition system
    NOS brand direct port nitrous oxide system controlled by AEM
    Now, these are the ones I remember. Many other parts that I can not remember.

Pictures can be found at http://www.modifiyem.com/forum/showt...9&page=1&pp=10

My friend is crazy for power. He will boost 32-36 psi. I know this for sure because last summer he broke the engine at 36 psi.

We will be installing the new compressor wheel from Garrett into the GT42 and the new wheel is capable of boosting 96 lbs/min.

What would you say if you compare the Supra and my Turbochargd M3?

We will test the cars on the highway from 50 to 220 mph soon.

My Garret GT42 is a ball bearing type, 96 lbs air flow, 74,7 mm inducer. 1,01 A/R on the exhaust side. M3 engine 3,2L displacement, revving till 8500 rpm. 260 degree camshafts 11,3 mm lift. 8,5:1 compression ratio. NGK 4 degree colder plugs.

Supra single Greddy T88H turbo, non ball bearing, 69,7 mm inducer. Do not know its flow rating. 3,0L displacement. Revving till 8000 rpm. 272 degree camshafts, 9,3 mm lift. 7,5:1 compression ratio. Even fire ignition system (never heard about it before)

Both cars will boost as much as they can handle.

So which engine/car combo will be faster?
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

E46 M3 SMG under turbo surgery

My Cars
    '89 M3
    Dunno, but you better post the movie!

BTW, link of the supra not working.

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821

Cool

The supra is going to get his ass handed to him real bad. Does the supra have that bullshit 6 speed gear box if so he"s Fxxxed.

My Cars
    damn, I don't know if I'd want to be in an E36 past 180mph! Not sure how aerodynamically safe they are at 180mph let along something as crazy as 200mph+. Daaaaamn! Good luck and make sure and take out some life insurance
    Current ride:
    '06X54.8is, TiSi/Blk
    '03M5 (10kmi garage queen!), CB/Caramel
    Previous rides:
    2001 540ia sport, Dinan StII suspension
    2000 328ia sport
    1996 Dinan 3

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    the picture wasnt showing. can u just post it?

Why would you even need to go up to 200m.p.h. to know who wins?

My Cars
    1995 M3 LTW
    Your M3 will get slaughtered... there are street supras making well over 900 rwhp, on smaller turbos! After 125, there will be no contest, he will pull you like a freight train.

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-N-Austin
    Your M3 will get slaughtered... there are street supras making well over 900 rwhp, on smaller turbos! After 125, there will be no contest, he will pull you like a freight train.
    so, in few words, the Supra OWns over the BMW in speeds, even when both are higly moded? dunno man!!! I have my faith in MertDastan beast M3!! Go ahead Mert, kick his ass for the name of BMW !! lol

BTW...that crappy link ask me for sign up for member to see it...dammit!
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    220 mph seems awfully fast , and I agree the contest should be settled long before then.

So, I'll go with some life insurance.

Maybe we can get a group buy together.

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by mertdastan
    A good friend of mine has a Toyota Supra in Istanbul, Turkey.

He spent almost 150,000 USD on the car.
    Modification list:
    Power House Racing Spec pistons
    Carillo rods
    Ported and polished head
    Over size valves
    274 degree camshafts
    Underdrive pullyes
    Vernier pulleys
    Greddy T88H turbocharger
    Greddy exhaust manifold
    1,200 cc injectors
    Veilside intake manifold
    Big intercooler
    HKS exhaust system
    AEM stand alone
    Greddy oil cooler
    Aftermarket fans
    Aftermarket radiator
    DLI ignition system
    NOS brand direct port nitrous oxide system controlled by AEM
    Now, these are the ones I remember. Many other parts that I can not remember.

Pictures can be found at http://www.modifiyem.com/forum/showt...9&page=1&pp=10

My friend is crazy for power. He will boost 32-36 psi. I know this for sure because last summer he broke the engine at 36 psi.

We will be installing the new compressor wheel from Garrett into the GT42 and the new wheel is capable of boosting 96 lbs/min.

What would you say if you compare the Supra and my Turbochargd M3?

We will test the cars on the highway from 50 to 220 mph soon.

My Garret GT42 is a ball bearing type, 96 lbs air flow, 74,7 mm inducer. 1,01 A/R on the exhaust side. M3 engine 3,2L displacement, revving till 8500 rpm. 260 degree camshafts 11,3 mm lift. 8,5:1 compression ratio. NGK 4 degree colder plugs.

Supra single Greddy T88H turbo, non ball bearing, 69,7 mm inducer. Do not know its flow rating. 3,0L displacement. Revving till 8000 rpm. 272 degree camshafts, 9,3 mm lift. 7,5:1 compression ratio. Even fire ignition system (never heard about it before)

Both cars will boost as much as they can handle.

So which engine/car combo will be faster?
    The supra.....will be faster IMO

My Cars
    The Supra may be faster.

Yes there are 1000 wheel hp Supra in US.

But I need technical estimation, think about the engine cid, maximum engine speed, turbocharger flow capacity, turbocharger ball bearing or non bb, camshaft selection, overlap, weight of the car, aerodynamic coefficient, compression ratio...

Yes there are really fst Supras in US but we are working hard to get the M3 to the 1000 hp level as well.

www.sound-performance.com has a similar SP74 whick makes 900 whp.

My friend's T88H has 69 mm inducer whereas we have a 74mm inducer. So, think and compare technical details.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Mertdastan,

so you drive these insane HP cars on the public highways often? What the traffic laws in Turkey, speed limits etc?

My Cars
    80 mph on the highway

But at night time on the highway we can go faster.

On some road we have radar control every 50 miles.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    First of all E36 m3 with 450-500rwhp good gearing tractionand especially(BIG BALLS LIKE MINE) Can run 10 second Quqarter miles, I dont know a supra with that kind of power going faster than high 11's. The supra has a six speed that sucks(close ratio its geared for like a supersharged .car). Bottom line I Fxxk with alot of cars, the bimmers dont need as much power to as fast as other vehicles. I have a 993 turboS 575wrhp bolt ons only, my friend has 800rwhp supra guess what off a roll top end you name it, deep in my rear view mirror dissapearing. (and he can drive) German hp is superior @ less power that rice.

My Cars
    IMPORTEDCARS:

I guess you misunderstood me.

Supra and M3 Euro have both the same brand Getrag tarnny. M3's tanny is rated 10 NM more than the Supra.

Supra's gears are not close ratio as my friend has 8k max engine speed.

Please think and calculate in terms of engine cid, rpm, flow of turbo, weight of the cars, aerodynamic cd, camshafts, lift, valve size....

BTW a 800 whp Supra MUST and CAN EASILY kill a 575 whp Porsche Turbo. If you killed a Supra then it must be less powerful than your car or there must be a problem with the Suppppraaaaa.
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPORTEDCARS
    First of all E36 m3 with 450-500rwhp good gearing tractionand especially(BIG BALLS LIKE MINE) Can run 10 second Quqarter miles, I dont know a supra with that kind of power going faster than high 11's. The supra has a six speed that sucks(close ratio its geared for like a supersharged .car). Bottom line I Fxxk with alot of cars, the bimmers dont need as much power to as fast as other vehicles. I have a 993 turboS 575wrhp bolt ons only, my friend has 800rwhp supra guess what off a roll top end you name it, deep in my rear view mirror dissapearing. (and he can drive) German hp is superior @ less power that rice.

Well if you have not seen or know of any supras that go .10 sec and is a street car then maybe you should come to Fla or go to Tx or Ca and witness some, I know of a 289 RWHP toyota carolla with a full interior street car that runs 10.9 in the 1320' ( a hell of a driver) point is on a full blown stretch
    if that supra that Mert is talking about is built properly and has what he says it has....and the driver is competent ...he (Mert) will have his hands full (speaking in comparrison to the Supras I have drivin in here with high triple digit RWHP #'s and how quick they got from 100-170)

it is a hard decision but since I have never driven in a BMW (M3) at past 185mph besides my own cars (in my sig) ....I have to lean in the supras favor
    not taking anything away from Mert or anyones car......none the less it would be a HELL OF A RUSH MERT!!!!

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT
    There are videos of Jap Spec modded Supras and one British supra exceeding the 200 mph mark (unofficially). They are beasts when done right. However, I do agree with the viewpoint that it will be over before then. Based on your info...I'd give the edge to the supra.
    eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies
    "Man, your car is scary fast...." *Prestige BMW, Jan.18, 2003* (sold )

---"theStealth" '03 TiAg 325iT

---ZURV1 (Zombie Urban Response Vehicle) 2010 Chevy Surburban

---bmwcca member # 179740

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Hey Mert the porsche runs over 200mph no problem, 10.3 @ 138mph no Supra with that little power is going near it. that Supra made 796rwhp on a dynoget, and he can drive. How many supras do you see with 1000 hp going only high nine low tens with a built automatic(only) not knocking the supra I had one its the best japanise car out there from the factory. If you have the same tranny that the supra was I mean as a stock supra with the same type or rear gears its a handicap for you. For the amount of power in your car you should be going and geared for 55-60 1st 85-90 2nd 135-140 3rd 165-170 4th 5th and 6th no idea. It could be doing that I have no idea well good luck. If you loose Ill ship over my friends porsche(892rwhp) 9.2@ 168mph over 200 in the half mile.

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by mertdastan
    IMPORTEDCARS:

I guess you misunderstood me.

Supra and M3 Euro have both the same brand Getrag tarnny. M3's tanny is rated 10 NM more than the Supra.

Supra's gears are not close ratio as my friend has 8k max engine speed.

Please think and calculate in terms of engine cid, rpm, flow of turbo, weight of the cars, aerodynamic cd, camshafts, lift, valve size....

BTW a 800 whp Supra MUST and CAN EASILY kill a 575 whp Porsche Turbo. If you killed a Supra then it must be less powerful than your car or there must be a problem with the Suppppraaaaa.

What you are asking Mert is not possible (kinda like pissing in the wind)
    because the internals of both cars will perform differently, the turbos will be different...it will boil down to the driver and who can push his car to it's swet spot 1st and which car can maintain it's power band longer.......even if they both rev' to 8k....then the rear end gearing will be a big factor also....

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    I never piss in the wind, I think he has a very good chance off beating down the Supra. I have faith in his car,

My Cars
    E46 328
    Most important: GET IT ON TAPE!!

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    I never piss in the wind, I think he has a very good chance off beating down the Supra. I have faith in his car,
    I was reffering to question of making a comparrison, on the M3 vs the supra
    interms of the motor and turbo and stuff like that......

Not to you.......

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    Mert, if you want to make a calculation, may contact to Mr. Dinno Sava, in this page is ttp://www.jeepsunlimited.com

you may have to register to contact him, he makes excellent clacs for Drag races just giving him all the details.

or just go to his direct page and hit him a e-mail.. http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

hope it helps you!! I will PM him and see what I get with all the details anyways.

later

-Diego
    Last edited by diegom6; 04-15-2004 at 02:42 PM.
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    Eagle Talon, Galant GVR4, and Eclipse GSX
    Hey Mert the porsche runs over 200mph no problem, 10.3 @ 138mph no Supra with that little power is going near it. that Supra made 796rwhp on a dynoget, and he can drive. How many supras do you see with 1000 hp going only high nine low tens with a built automatic(only) not knocking the supra I had one its the best japanise car out there from the factory. If you have the same tranny that the supra was I mean as a stock supra with the same type or rear gears its a handicap for you. For the amount of power in your car you should be going and geared for 55-60 1st 85-90 2nd 135-140 3rd 165-170 4th 5th and 6th no idea. It could be doing that I have no idea well good luck. If you loose Ill ship over my friends porsche(892rwhp) 9.2@ 168mph over 200 in the half mile.
    I saw the SP Supra go 9.0 in full atire (CD Player and all) last year at one of our RSD meets (Real Street Drags) ... I've heard that Marko has gone quicker than that in his full street Supra ... just ask the many many people that have lost money to his car. I know for a fact, that a few years back, Marko's Supra made less than 700WHP and went late nines on drag radials. But I understand what you're saying, I've seen a lot of dyno queens (Supra's) that have made huge HP and gone nowhere!

On the supbject, my money's on the Supra.

My Cars
    E46 328
    From a stop, skills make a big difference. I know a supra that ran low 10's, but when a guy bought it he couldn't get the same car under 13.xx

Since you are racing from a roll, this should not be as important though.
    I guess everything here is just speculations, and you may get as many opinions as there are users here. The only way to settle this is: GO RACE!

My Cars
    Test will be from a roll on like 50 mph.

There are many 900+ rwhp Supras in US. But there is no M3 so powerful: I am pushing the engine and the car to the outer limits as much as I can in a safe manner. This is not for boasting myself.

What I want to ponder is the technical details such as engine, turbo system, fuel system, weight, and all the other factors listed above. Supra is not fast because it is a miracle car. Techniques and engineering enable a fast car. A different example would be a forged bottem end, 7 litre C5R Corvette, fed with dual stage 400 Hp N2O. That would be insane too. So, if the complete picture (the car and the engine and every other item) are tuned properly and excellent why not?

What makes a Supra faster than a E36 S50B32 turbo M3?

Please think in terms of boost, cid, engine inrternals, max rpm, cams, overlap, head design. OK my friend's Supra may be faster we will see. However, it does not mean that Supras are the fastest in the universe and no turbo BMW can be faster than Supras.

The new compressor wheel flows 96-98 lbs of air per min on my setup, wheras the T88H flows less. We have more cid and rev higher. Supra has longer duration cams than the M3 but the lift on the M3 is 11,3mm whereas the lift on Supra is 9,3mm. There are many other details that we must consider.

I never claim to be faster than Supra till we test. This is engineering, a team work, requiring good software tuning, best materials... a lot of highway testing..
    S50B32 + GT4XX = 1100 hp
    www.da-motorsport.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast