Thread: Help with spark plugs.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325

Help with spark plugs.

I recently went to buy spark plugs for my 87 325 at Autozone. The guy gave me Bosch Platinum+4. I installed them. A couple of weeks later I read in bmwe30.net that we are not supposed to use platinum plugs, we are supposed to use silver plugs. Hmm? Anyway, I went back to Autozone with my Bentley manual in tow. I asked the guy at the counter for Bosch spark plugs, part number WR9LS, according to my Bentley manual. He says that when he references that number in the Bosch catalog the platinum plugs keep coming up. Then he says Bosch don't even make silver plugs! WTF! Can anyone help me out? What brand and part number am I supposed to use? DO I have to use only Bosch? Also What store carries them? Please help.

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    You'r sapposed to use copper..
    It's better for spark, but they don't last that long and you have to gap them every so oftern.

I use platnum plugs because they never have to be re-gap after you... re-gap the :P (It's harder for the spark to jump the gap then with copper so it's better to adjust it by .5, almost nothing, so I doesn't really matter if you do or you don't, but still) and they last thousands of miles more then copper.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    it's my understanding that platinum plugs will eventually ruin the e30's engine or something like that.

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    Allot of people think that, why?
    Because they heard it on the internet or a friend told them or they know a friend of a friend that read a story on the internet that some guy's prong on the plug hit the piston and broke off. Blaming it on the platinum, but caused by something else.

A platinum plug wont harm your engine in anyways! Although it takes more heat for the plugs to "self-clean", it's perfecty safe for the engine and plug.
    The worst thing that can happen is that the plug fouls up after months of not letting your car warm up because you just use it to go to the store or Jack'in the box.
    (I know allot of people will tell me WHY platinum plugs are "sh*t" but all I have to say is, go f*ck yourself )
    If you want better spark, go with copper. :

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Thanx for the advice NoName. I'll stick with my platinum plugs. But you brought up a good question. My 325 owners manual says to not warm up the car, judt get in and go. Whats up with that?

My Cars
    The Bimma.
    In older cars, the carburateres had poor vaporization when it was cold. It was best to warm it up alittle before you took off or else it would hesitation, buck, or even stall. :

In more modern car's (like ours), the rich mixture on a cold start-up caused excessive wear. This tends to wash fuel from the cylinder walls and aggravate wear between the rings and cylinder bores...

Soooooo.......

It's better to limit the amount of cold-running-time and accelerate the warming process by just driving.
    Just don't floor it, or drive crazy untill the oil pressure comes up to level (acouple minutes)

It will also warm up the transmission, wheel bearing, diff... ect. ect.. allot faster. Something idling can't do.
    So when I said "let the car warm up", I meant letting it get to optimal temps (like halfway up the gauge)
    Last edited by NoName; 04-12-2004 at 09:56 PM.