Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to the dark-er side (Dking05's interior build thread)

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i

Going to the dark-er side (Dking05's interior build thread)

First off, no i didn't sell my baby!

My goal in this project is to make a good looking gray/black two-tone combo using OEM parts.

I had gotten my inspiration from a member on one of the forums, who did a perfect ratio of black-grey.

Part 1: Trim

First and most important part of this project..... TRIM. I like wood, don't get me wrong, but in a grey/black interior it really pops out.
    I had to choose between piano black or technical graphite, aka Cubic. PB was nice, but i feared swirls, so TG/C it was.

The one problem was finding the dam trim. Everyone wanted either it's weight in silver or sold it literally as conservatively as possible.
    Thankfully I was able to find a near perfect set for a good price that had ALL the pieces, and even a no-cutout for TPMS (thank god!) Talk about luck!

Technical graphite is just an amazing trim and is undersold in these photos.

Enough of that time for pics!

Part 2: Oh the bass

Don't get me wrong here, the Nokia subs are nice, but i want some bass when i listen to the radio. The perfect OEM upgrade..... M audio subs!
    Those 2 big 10 inchers pack a serious punch. You can literally feel it in the seat. Listening to techno? Let me just shatter the glass beforehand. They are just fantastic... But chasing down the rattles in the rear deck was a serious pain.

Part 3: Going to the dark-er side

Here is where the real fun begins! I choose to blacken every plastic piece in a good flowing line. Tough it's not complete yet, I have some "under construction" pics.

I wanted to use a normal 5 series black console, but the world seemed to be against me! None to be found or heard of. There was a light at the end of the tunnel though, a nice M5 leather console was waiting for me! Big thanks to M5 Jed for all the plastic parts and many parts for this project !

At first I thought the console would clash too much because of the stitching, but the ebrake helped even it out and the leather pattern was close to the normal grey "leather". The only hard part was that the M5 console had all broken plastic tabs! Took me 13 or so hours of fabrication & alot of test fitting to get a good fit. In the end I was left with a small gap, no worries since it's black.

The overall tone i wanted to get was to show that the grey was overlapping black bits (Kind of like a Range Rover).

Lol yes it looks ugly, but in the end it worked very well. Can't get any better than using denture material, that stuff is pretty strong!

Then back to assembly and beauty pics of most plastics installed.

Ran into a bit of a snag since the lower B-pillar I got were for a pre-2003 car... Nothing a short and overpriced drive to one of SoCal's BMW salvage yards didn't fix.

Update #2
    Just finished up the last bit, though i'm still waiting for the finish touch of the cup holder delete.
    In total the project took a solid 4-5 days of pure work. Getting the trim to sit in the console without any gaps took forever since I had to rebuild the entire panel from scratch, but i prevailed for the most part. Sucky part is that my soldering gun somehow ouch my console trim , no worries anyway it's trashed up from the previous owner and I intend to get a new one later on.
    The Speaker door grills was pretty straight foreword, and I'll have a DIY up shortly.

Brothers meet!

After

Update # 3
    Getouta-here-cupholdas!

Update:
    Pics of the final shots after bimmerfest!

Getting the delete in was a bit of a pain since it fits perfectly, it has 0 wiggle room and i was fearing breaking the clips. Thank god for no more useless cupholers!

Update #4 Let there be more unnecessary light!

Installed some E38 illuminated door handles. (DIY for those interested)

Update #4 OEM Paddleshift steering wheel retrofit!

E46 SMG steering wheel with paddle shifters! I even did a full OEM style connector with nothing but OEM wires/connectors so the SMG clock spring to the steptronic shifter is 100% plug n play
    Yes they work, so no more hassle with taking my hand off the steering wheel during the twisties.

Finally bought a new Technical Graphite center console trim piece, I also added in the non-smoker ash tray... All I can say is "I like!" Also, it was apparently the last one available in the USA.

Up next in the next few months is a new gear selector with new leather and a steering wheel re-wrap.

After taking the car to the canyon with the paddles, it is much more fun, especially with the DINAN software.

Update #5 OEM EURO Dash kit!

I have been having good luck with some connections in Germany and I decided to pick up an euro lower dash conversion kit. Literally every piece needed all in one place!

Update #6 No more getting lost! New dynavin time.

This baby took alot of playing around to get to fit perfect!

Update #7 Birch baby!

So once upon a time I snatched 4 sets of Birch trim. Funnying thing is I found my personal set first and paid ALOT, then found 3 for more reasonable price, which ended up in the hands of other owners. So I kept my first set as a trophy and keep it installed in the colder months to minimize any chance of cracks. My heart is still with Technical Graphite though!
    Error 404- I forgot to ever take pics XD
    Last edited by Dking078; 06-15-2016 at 06:57 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Wow - you did a great job. I have the same (original) color combo. You make me want to change up mine now. The interior looks modern and less dated - love it!
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    But chasing down the rattles in the rear deck was a serious pain.

All the old grey bits are for sale, i'll have a link ready soon.
    Those rattles drive me batty; they're a helluva lot worse with my rear shade down :/ So up it stays.

What about your previous wood trim??
    My passenger dash piece is milky, and CD flap is cracked.. I know a guy that may be interested ;D

My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Looks good!!
    2002 540i | 6 speed | (892) Titanium Gray | BC Coilovers |E60 SSK - ZHP Knob | CDV Delete | M5 RSB | Muffler Delete - 2.75" Turndown | Dice Duo | Spec Dock | Running log -> http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1713303

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Looks really good. I like the grey/black contrast. Looks very OEM.

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Subcribed as I'm heading in the same direction.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Sorry, I sold it shortly after I swapped it out.

For right now i'll be holding onto all the gray bits until i finish the project in about 2-4 weeks.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    2001 540i E39
    Looking great so far! Are you planning on re-dying the seats into a black and grey 2-tone look? I have been really contemplating doing that as a summer project. Figured it would look sweet. I have the same interior colors that you had before changing. Here is an idea out of an m5 but with different colors ofcourse.

But since the seats in the m5 are different, I would keep the outer portion grey and dye the center parts of the seats black. Or vice versa.

Just wanted to put this idea out as who knows, it may be some inspiration for ya

Great job so far and looking forward to it
    e39 2001 540i 142,xxx miles - CAI, Redline MTL, Bilstein Sport w/H&R Sport, m60 manifold, 10w AA, Hankook ventus v12, and maintenance

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    I have done all of the same things to my car but with black on tan. I love the two tone look.

I also did the black seat trim and the speaker grills black as well as adding suede inserts to the door pockets.

-Anson
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Nice look!

Did you pick up the M-Audio used or have a source to find them elsewhere?
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    Too many e39s
    Dking, that looks KILLER. Exactly what I want to do to my gray interior in the near future. I've already taken the first steps: vinyl wrapped the trim and got black floor mats. Can't wait for updates!

03 540i/6 M-Sport (#166 out of 1,265)
    01 540i/6
    01 525iAT
    01 530i
    M62/TU crank holder tool, fan clutch tools, and rear ball joint removal press available for New England members who need them!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    Dking078, if you're looking for black M5 seats, let me know. I have a pair sitting in my garage in San Diego.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    Looking great so far! Are you planning on re-dying the seats into a black and grey 2-tone look?
    At this time no, but the only M5 swap I may consider is a Black/Gray M5 door card / seat set, but i'd have to save up ALOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    I also did the black seat trim and the speaker grills black as well as adding suede inserts to the door pockets.
    -Anson
    May I ask how hard it was to replace the grills? and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    Nice look!
    Did you pick up the M-Audio used or have a source to find them elsewhere?
    I got them used.

Quote Originally Posted by nizmugen View Post
    Dking078, if you're looking for black M5 seats, let me know. I have a pair sitting in my garage in San Diego.
    Not at this time, i kinda blew my mod & maint. coin jar on parts/work this week! Got 2002-2003 lower B pillars by any chance?

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    It requires drilling out the 4 plastic weld rivets holding the grill on and then spraying then re gluing the grill back on.

I decided to separate the grill from the ring to add an accent brushed silver ring around the black grill.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    destiny
    Now swap in black carpet.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Post deleted and merged with Post #1
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Nice! I also just picked up a set of technical graphite trim for my interior swap. Can't wait to install it.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    03 ///M5 Carbon Black
    Looks awesome!!! Just curious: How hard was it to install the M-audio subs? I have the stock nokia box and they are beat to death.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    I'd say a bit intermediate. The install is much simpler if you reuse the Nokia "innards" wiring. I had to elongate the whole harness itself by a good 1.5 feet so all the wires were hidden in the side paneling and space between the back of the car and back seat.

If you do it alone, a car jack helps ALOT when positioning the subs into their mounting holes. The only problem was stopping all the new rattles it caused .

More info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8923&highlight=

-Rest of post deleted and merged with post #1
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Part 5: Let there be more unnecessary light!

Rest of post deleted and merged with Post #1
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    post deleted and merged with post #1
    Last edited by Dking078; 02-20-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Stuff For Sale :

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Wow, the black and grey really looks great! I'm in the same situation because all the 03's I have been looking at come in grey interior with the 5 spds and while its not a horrible color, i'm probably going to do the same thing you are.

I was thinking I would put black leather seats in (front and rear) and replace all the door panels with black also.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    E39 M5 '01 Automatic
    Looks great. Recently finished up with some of those exact touches..plus seats swap. Opted to keep the caramel side foot guards over the black console for a smooth design and contrast. I love the range rover look of the dash area also. Hard to understand why so many cars go with plastics, circles, and things, and don't copy this dash style, but I'm glad in a way. Stands out more.

test2.jpg
    Last edited by slidewaysE38; 10-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast