Thread: central locking wiring

My Cars
    1995 328i sedan

central locking wiring

Hi all,

Ive been re wiring a 95 328i sedan and have issues with my central locking.
    This is what I have done so far.

Original issue was major wiring melt down so have cut main loom in passenger foot well and spliced in 2nd hand loom.
    before the big cut the trunk wiring had broken as it does and caused the trunk lock to continue to cycle which caused the melt down.
    Also the three fuses for the central locking had been removed. I reinstalled these and found that the locking worked ok except the trunk.

Now the issue I have is absolutly no central locking from outside or inside.
    I found a pdf of a bently manual to suit my 328i and its been helpfull. If I could post links or pics I would. Instead ill have to type out what I can so here goes.

When I operate my drivers door lock (outside or inside) I can hear the relay in the BECM switch.
    I do NOT have an aftermarket alarm installec
    Currently the glove box is removed and there is not lock motor on the glove box.
    There is no rusting or corrosion on any plugs
    The fuel lid lock is jammed in the unlock position

This manual found at bimmerworkz search bmw-e36-bentley-service-manual-pdf-67601 is the one I used

On page ELE-228 of this manual is the wiring diagram im using. I have been testing for voltages where I can to see what is going on during the lock/unlock process. This is what I found

At the BECM (ZKE IV) we have four plugs relating to the central locking
    X13252 15PIN BLACK
    pin 1 - pwr lock signal - black -12v
    Pin 2 - volt supply - blue/grey - 12v
    Pin 4 - volt supply - red/ black - 12v
    Pin 9 - lock signal - white - 0v
    Pin 10 - power supply - red/green/yellow - 12v constant
    Pin 11 - auto int light signal - violet/black - not in my harness????
    Pin 15 - gnd - brown - continuity to ground ok

X13253 26PIN YELLOW
    Pin 1 - position signal - white/green - 12v during unlock
    Pin 2 - position signal - white/brown/yellow - not in my harness????
    Pin 3 - lock signal trunk lid - white/green/yellow -
    Pin 7 - crash signal - brown/black -
    Pin 13 - central arrest signal -
    Pin 14 - lock signal driver door -
    Pin 16 - lock signal trunk lid - 0v always
    Pin 15 - lock signal passengers door - 12v
    Pin 19 - central lock signal - white/red - not in my harness????

X13254 26PIN GREEN
    Pin 4 - door signal(4 door) - green/white/yellow -

X10182 18PIN BLACK
    Pin 9 - diag - white/yellow -
    Pin 11 - diag - white/violet -
    Pin15 - drive away protection - black/green -
    Pin 18 - power supply - red/green - 12v

As you have seen some have nothing next to them. This is more then likely there was no voltage there.

Does anyone know what I should be getting at each of these terminals during the lock and unlock process.

Thanks very much for your help its very much appreciated.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    What happens when you press the lock buttn next to the shifter? Only verts came with power lock on the glovebox.

The BECM as you call it is properly known as a ZKE module. When you're dealing with burnt wires it can be tough to diagnose things. My best guess is that your ZKE is faulty. The control modules in these cars are generaly pretty tough but all that cycling of the trunk lock may have burned out a transistor or some other component in the ZKE circuit board. I would start by pulling it out and taking the cover off so you can see if it is indeed damaged.

My Cars
    1995 328i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    What happens when you press the lock buttn next to the shifter? Only verts came with power lock on the glovebox.

The BECM as you call it is properly known as a ZKE module. When you're dealing with burnt wires it can be tough to diagnose things. My best guess is that your ZKE is faulty. The control modules in these cars are generaly pretty tough but all that cycling of the trunk lock may have burned out a transistor or some other component in the ZKE circuit board. I would start by pulling it out and taking the cover off so you can see if it is indeed damaged.
    Thanks for your respons mate. Ive taken the cover off the zke module and cant smell or see anything out of the ordinary. I too was wondering if the module has failed. When I do operate the dirvers door lock I can here the relay inside operating and it is causeing the correct voltages where it should however I am sure we should be getting something to our white wire. I think this is where our problem lies but without knowing what voltages I am meant to get it makes it difficult to diagnose.

Hmm I didnt realise there was a lock button by the shifter. I will hunt for it and see what I find. If this is unplugged could this cause our problem??

Can you use any zke module from any e36 bmw or are there different versions.

Again thanks for you help.

My Cars
    1995 328i sedan
    Just remembered I noticed my battery was dead flat after hooking up my jump pack I noticed the light in the sunroof switch was stayin on. Is this light controled by the zke module.if so I wonder if it related?

My Cars
    1995 328i sedan
    ok did some basic testing. i checked for every wire that related to my cars central locking and made sure it went where it was meant to. I found no faults there. i noticed i had an issue with my battery going flat and found the ZKE module was continuing to supply power to the sunroof switch relay even with the key off.
    remedy was i replaced the module and all my issues were fixed. central locking is sorted as well as now my sunroof switch turns off as it should so no more dead batteries. what a weight off my shoulders.

thanks for your input guys