Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my m52 build

My Cars
    1996 328i

my m52 build

hi all. i am in the middle of boosting my m52.

i am building the motor with
    wiseco 8.5:1 pistons
    going 20 over on bores to make sure they are round which i believe makes it a 3.0?
    molnar rods
    bearings
    caps
    hardware
    and seals

i have a few questions considering i have never even re built a motor in my life. sure you guys are probably laughing. hehe

1. are oem bearings okay for a forced induction motor or should i go more expensive with vac or something?

2. i have been doing research and a lot of people are saying that the f1 stage 4 clutch kit off of ebay is actually pretty good? anybody here ever used or have any experience with this clutch? Driveability? gear chatter with lighter flywheel?

3. i dont want to run the charge pipe underneath the car. so i have seen some people rout it basically right underneath the manifold alongside the block, is this an acceptable way or does it get too hot?

3. any other questions or comments you guys have feel free. im gonna figure out how to put some pics up. my computer skills are limited. hah

and i am building on a budget but i want to do it right.
    Last edited by ziptied; 02-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by ziptied View Post

going 20 over on bores to make sure they are round which i believe makes it a 3.0?
    molnar rods
    bearings
    caps
    hardware
    and seals

i have a few questions considering i have never even re built a motor in my life. sure you guys are probably laughing. hehe

1. are oem bearings okay for a forced induction motor or should i go more expensive with vac or something?

2. i have been doing research and a lot of people are saying that the f1 stage 4 clutch kit off of ebay is actually pretty good? anybody here ever used or have any experience with this clutch? Driveability? gear chatter with lighter flywheel?

3. i dont want to run the charge pipe underneath the car. so i have seen some people rout it basically right underneath the manifold alongside the block, is this an acceptable way or does it get too hot?

3. any other questions or comments you guys have feel free. im gonna figure out how to put some pics up. my computer skills are limited. hah

Looks like your on the right track, the OEM bearings will work just fine.

What is your horsepower level ? Manifold, Turbo Sizing, Inter-cooler, etc.

-George Kakaletris

My Cars
    1996 328i
    i need info not smilies!!! lol

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    How much horsepower are you looking for ? Pump gas, Daily driver ?

Need more specific's

My Cars
    1996 328i
    well i am having some serious thoughts about going top mount now i feel it is much more practicall and oil draining is just better, and to be honest i have never dealt with a turbo besides a little with my diesel cummins. so im rather novice. hahaha

horsepower goals are 400 to 550
    turbo is a turbonetics t3/t4
    i will be ordering a 30x12x2.5 intercooler, seems like a good size to fit behind the bumper.
    i deleted all the ac components
    technica motorsports tune
    and im trying to deside on wastegate according to what manifold i get.
    and pump gas for now

side note: i originally purchased a little "kit" from some guy off of craigslist for 500 bucks........... lesson was thoroughly learned from that one. stupid i know. but i need to finish strong and do it right, for my own good.
    Last edited by ziptied; 02-03-2013 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

molnar rods
    bearings
    caps
    hardware
    and seals

1. OEM bearings will do just fine

2. The F1 clutch will hold some power BUT if you are speaking of the full stage 4 kit w/ single mass flywheel I would suggest stepping down to the stage 3 . The stage 4 kit contains a unsprung disc, this will work well w/ your factory DMF. The stage 3 full kit has single mass flywheel and sprung disc.
    *running a unsprung disc and single mass flywheel will result in a noise and vibration*

3. Running the charge piping along the block will do just fine. A great setup would be a SPA manifold T3 and a GT35R turbo. Should give you a reliable 500 rwhp and plenty of clearance. I wrapped my charge pipe with header wrap and haven't had a problem whatsoever.

Only advise I have is if your on a budget (which most of us are) build yourself a nice reliable setup. Once you start chasing the BIG numbers to keep up w/ the neighbors its going to get costly quick and will consume you.
    450-500 rwhp is an awesome setup for the street and will put a HUGE SMILEY on your face.

EDIT. Go atleast 3 inch core size on intercooler; )
    GREAT CHOICE ON THE TECHNICA TUNE
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 02-03-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    well i am having some serious thoughts about going top mount now i feel it is much more practicall and oil draining is just better, and to be honest i have never dealt with a turbo besides a little with my diesel cummins. so im rather novice. hahaha

horsepower goals are 400 to 550
    turbo is a turbonetics t3/t4
    i will be ordering a 30x12x2.5 intercooler, seems like a good size to fit behind the bumper.
    i deleted all the ac components
    technica motorsports tune
    and im trying to deside on wastegate according to what manifold i get.
    and pump gas for now

side note: i originally purchased a little "kit" from some guy off of craigslist for 500 bucks........... lesson was thoroughly learned from that one. stupid i know. but i need to finish strong and do it right, for my own good.
    Budget build.

SPA T3 Manifold (Port the Waste Gate Port to avoid boost creep)
    SPA 38 MM Waste Gate or a CX Racing unit.
    Precision 6262 non ball bearing (or a Holset HX35 off a ******** Diesel)
    CX Racing Inter-cooler, get yourself a 3.0 core
    3.0 Turbo Back will work
    2.5 Charge Pipe
    3.0 Cold Side Charge Pipe
    Walbro 255 Kit (Fuel Pump)
    Rally Road Engine Bracket
    F1 Clutch, I have never used but have heard will hold the power

What else ?

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525

I offered a welcome wave to a familiar face...
    not just ANY old smilie, Captain.

You've only asked THREE (3) questions (#1, 2 & 3) here in this thread
    and those topics have been covered here in FORCED INDUCTION subsection for years. A few searches will answer them quickly.

Welcome to the forum again...
    and once you've finalized the simple hardware/kit decisions you've already talked about
    (you obviously have more than innocent, minimal knowledge of BMW turbo set-ups )
    start a build thread and so we can enjoy the progress and photos.
    Last edited by milKt; 02-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    okay this feedback is priceless for me!! rather excited.

Butter stotch: im not too worried about making this a comfortable ride its not my daily driver, the only thing i would be worried about is the stage 3 being weak for my needs? that would suck lol and when you routed your charge pipe did you weld a ninety on your compressor housing then weld the piping on? im just worried about any silicone joiners melting and causing havok.

i have a tune from technica and along with it came the pump so i think that is taken care of.

Both: once again thanks so much for the feedback.
    and are you guys agianst the t3/t4?

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    I offered a welcome wave to a familiar face...
    not just ANY old smilie, Captain.

You've only asked THREE (3) questions (#1, 2 & 3) here in this thread
    and those topics have been covered here in FORCED INDUCTION subsection for years. A few searches will answer them quickly.

Welcome to the forum again...
    and once you've finalized the simple hardware/kit decisions you've already talked about
    (you obviously have more than innocent, minimal knowledge of BMW turbo set-ups )
    start a build thread and so we can enjoy the progress and photos.
    haha i see i see. i figured i would start a new thread to see if i could get some feedback and some interest! and as soon as bimmer forums allows me i will be up loading photos and videos of my progress and regress lol
    Last edited by ziptied; 02-03-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    okay this feedback is priceless for me!! rather excited.

Butter stotch: im not too worried about making this a comfortable ride its not my daily driver, the only thing i would be worried about is the stage 3 being weak for my needs? that would suck lol and when you routed your charge pipe did you weld a ninety on your compressor housing then weld the piping on? im just worried about any silicone joiners melting and causing havok.
    My GT35r has a 90 welded on. As far as the silicone joint melting, I did experience this. What I did was wrap the silicone coupler in header wrap. Since then no problems at all.

As far as the clutch goes, I've given my $.02 . A solid hub disc with a single mass flywheel will be harsh.

Looking forward to your build
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 02-03-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    My GT35r has a 90 welded on. As far as the silicone joint melting, I did experience this. What I did was wrap the silicone coupler in header wrap. Since then no problems at all.

As far as the clutch goes, I've given my $.02 . A solid hub disc with a single mass flywheel will be harsh.

okay cool! im sure if i ceramic coat the manifold as well that would help a bit too.

and as soon as i figure out how to upload some photos i wont hesitate to do so.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d

My silicone 90* melted too. super aggravating. So I also have a 90* aluminum elbow welded on too. The 90's can be found on eBay for 20 bucks and i cost me 60 to have it welded. Cheap insurance.
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821

Aren't you looking to step up your game ? Sell him the manifold, charge pipe and your GT35R and go to the SPA T4 and 4094R !

-George Kakaletris

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ICS Performance View Post

Aren't you looking to step up your game ? Sell him the manifold, charge pipe and your GT35R and go to the SPA T4 and 4094R !

-George Kakaletris
    I've been thinking about it, but I feel a 4094 on a 2.8 may be a little too much and lag might be an issue.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

are you guys agianst the t3/t4?
    What T3/T4 is it? The T4 compressor could be well matched to the T3 turbine or it might not be so well matched.

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    I've been thinking about it, but I feel a 4094 on a 2.8 may be a little too much and lag might be an issue.
    Yes it will be, I forgot your on a 2.8 !

My Cars
    turbo m3

Probably so! But, a gt4088r with batmowheel and some s52 cams would be very nice!
    Hell, s52 cams would just be a nice addition.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1996 328i
    haha you totally should sell it to me!!
    for some reason im having an issue finding a t3 spa manifold

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post

Probably so! But, a gt4088r with batmowheel and some s52 cams would be very nice!
    I have a set of S50 cams I picked up from a brother on the forums.
    Ill install soon.

haha you totally should sell it to me!!
    for some reason im having an issue finding a t3 spa manifold
    I have been toying around with the idea of twin T60-1's . That would be a cool little project that could fit the budget.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 02-03-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    i got those too!! going in when i put the head back together.
    thinking of that does anybody know if i need to get m3 valve springs? due to the squanch? or is it not that durastic of a change?

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    What T3/T4 is it? The T4 compressor could be well matched to the T3 turbine or it might not be so well matched.
    its the turbonetics t3/t4. i know it sounds crazy but im not sure what the ar is or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    My silicone 90* melted too. super aggravating. So I also have a 90* aluminum elbow welded on too. The 90's can be found on eBay for 20 bucks and i cost me 60 to have it welded. Cheap insurance.
    alright that makes sense.
    but what about after the welded ninety? there was a silicone couple there? or what was there? v band clamp maybe?

and i am seriously thinking of going top mount now? anybody have pros and cons with this?

i was thinking the obx top mount, reasonable priced.

i think the oil would drain better, i could rout the charge pipe easier and the turbo would be in your face, easy for maintenance.

cons would be heat in the engine bay but there are solutions for that,
    Last edited by ziptied; 02-03-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There are a few variations on a T3/T4. Some work better than others. You need to find out what you have.

My Cars
    turbo m3

I have a set of S50 cams I picked up from a brother on the forums.
    Ill install soon.

I have been toying around with the idea of twin T60-1's . That would be a cool little project that could fit the budget.
    Great!

Will s50 cams fit in m/s52 trays?

IIRC, they will. But, it won't work the other way around.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    1996 328i
    can anyone give me an opinion on this? pretty please

and i am seriously thinking of going top mount now? anybody have pros and cons with this?

i was thinking the obx top mount, reasonable priced.

i think the oil would drain better, i could rout the charge pipe easier and the turbo would be in your face, easy for maintenance.

cons would be heat in the engine bay but there are solutions for that,
    Last edited by ziptied; 02-04-2013 at 12:20 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    I have the OBX top mount with a gt35r in a coupe.. I havw issues with opening the hood because of it, but when i had it in the sedan i did not have any issues at all. I did make the mistake of using the thick OBX gasket it comes with, im going to switch to a metal one and see if it helps at all. The fit is very tight though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast