Thread: The norm, or a bad apple?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i

The norm, or a bad apple?

Hello everyone,
    I purchased an 07 328i in February, 2011 with 60k on it. It now has 80k miles. Since I bought it, i have had to replace the oil pan and the water pump, and now I believe that i need to replace the VCG. I feel like these aren't repairs I should have to make back to back, within a teo year period. Is it common for the 3 series to have all of these repairs around this mileage, or is it possible that I may have purchased the red headed step child (no offense, step children with no hair). Should I keep making the repairs, or should i try to trade it in before any major issues arise? Any insight you guys could give me would be great.

My Cars
    2012 F30 335i
    I had over 74,000 miles on my 2007 328i.

The only repair other than brakes & oil services was a replacement shifter as it wasn't toggling to sport mode.

My car had no other issues.

2012 335i Sport Line

My Cars
    20 BMW 230i Coupe
    I have 88,000 on a 06 325 and I haven't had those repairs to make.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    My car has 126,000 miles and It hasn't had any of that done, except my VCG is leaking and one of my belts is slipping. Indy told me to replace them within the next quarter of this year. In fact other than a couple headlights, brakes and rotors and tires, a hydraulic pump failure, passenger seat occupancy sensor failure, and some failed locking systems early on in the cars life it hasn't had anything wrong with it. Routine maintenance seems to be the trick (most of the time).

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Thanks everyone. I keep up with the routine maintenance. It always seems like right after I get the car serviced, something comes up. I appreciate all of the input. Please keep it coming. That last thing I want to do is unload the car, but if it seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth, then I really don't have any other options.

My Cars
    The repairs you've had to make are very normal. I've seen water pumps go out at 30k, or last 120k. But they all fail at some point. An oil pan gasket usually won't start leaking till higher mileage, but it's not undheard of. And valve cover gaskets are routine maintenance on a BMW. Their rubber gaskets suck.

Just be glad you didn't buy a V8. They leak oil from everywhere!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 335i - Montego Blue
    I currently have 72k on my 335 and had the water pump go last year at this time at around 62k miles. Just had the service engine light go on last week for T-Stat (2EF4). Really glad I picked up a 3rd party warranty.
    2008 335i - Montego Blue
    JB4 + BMS Dual Cone Intake