Thread: Cleaning up the air pump wiring DIY

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon

Cleaning up the air pump wiring DIY

I replaced my air pump with a simulator last summer but was never happy with the recommended wiring so a month or so ago I finally got around to cleaning it up. Thought someone else may be interested.
    Because of where the air pump plug is the recommended wiring was to run two wires from the simulator out of the DME compartment to make the connection. That's just ugly. What I did was pull the wire that runs to the air pump and the ground wire that runs with it back through the harness and make all the connecitons inside the DME housing. When I did it at first I tried using one of the DME mounts as a ground point and at first it worked but I left the car running for a few minutes and it eneded up dying and wouldn't restart. After a little while trying to figure it out I realized that I had a bad ground so I grounded right to the body and no problems since. I'm not sure what that wire is a ground for but obviously something important.
    Here is a pic of the final result with everything tucked up. If some of this doesn't make sense feel free to ask any questions. Don't mind the small white wire running out form where the air pump used to be. That is for my alarm siren.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EfiniMotorsport; 01-03-2013 at 08:22 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    I did the same thing when I installed my air pump simulator.

Its def the way to go.
    1996 328is Sport package
    S52 cams/M50 manifold
    Conforti CF Intake
    Conforti Tune
    3.91 LSD