Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's the consensus on the new Bilstein's?

My Cars
    Lots

So what's the consensus on the new Bilstein's?

I'm thinking of getting a set to use with stock springs. I used to have the old Bilsteins w/ H&R Sports on my 98 M3 and they were STIFF. Hopefully these new sets are much improved? Please provide your feedback!

My Cars
    1988 M3
    What new bilsteins ?
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

My Cars
    Lots
    Quote Originally Posted by JLee
    What new bilsteins ?
    There is a new revision of Bilstein Sports for the E36 M3. Supposedly less harsh ride and properly designed not to ride on the bump stops when used with lowering springs.

old: VE3-4237 new: VE3-A585-H0 (L)
    old: VE3-4238 new: VE3-A586-H0 (R)

The rears are unchanged.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    when was this change over?

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    Lots
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter
    when was this change over?
    Old versions were recalled last year and the new versions have recently come out (see Turner and bimmerparts websites)

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    I have just ordered a set of the new Bilstein struts. Delivery next week sometime and will be my next weekend project. Running stock suspension and will advise how the ride is after the installation.

My Cars
    Lots
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno_M3
    I have just ordered a set of the new Bilstein struts. Delivery next week sometime and will be my next weekend project. Running stock suspension and will advise how the ride is after the installation.
    Great, looking forward to your impressions.

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    As long as the Konis are out there, nobody's gonna pay attention to the Bilsteins

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    I thought about the Konis but I didn't want to go through the effort of cutting up the stock struts. The Bilsteins are pretty much re and re. I think I got a pretty good deal at $236 CDN each. What do you think?

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    I thought about the Konis but I didn't want to go through the effort of cutting up the stock struts. The Bilsteins are pretty much re and re. I think I got a pretty good deal at $236 CDN each. What do you think?
    They're not bad struts/shocks. But the difference in ride comfort and drivability between the two is substantial enough for me to say that I wouldn't opt for the Bilsteins again.

$236 is a good price I'd say...some places will match some prices and others will lower it if you tell them you've found another vendor that sells the struts for less than they do just to get your order.

In any event, they are good, but I wouldn't pick them over Konis...this is from personal experience going from Bilsteins to Konis on my car. The strut cutting isn't all that difficult either; it would add maybe 20-25 minutes to the job.

My Cars
    1988 M3
    Recall...?

Will they replace used struts ?

jeff
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Jeff,

Not recall. Re and re is remove and replace.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Armo95,

When you mention driveability and ride comfort, could you elaborate more on how each compares to the stock struts and shocks?

Have you ever tracked or autocrossed your car?

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Armo95,

When you mention driveability and ride comfort, could you elaborate more on how each compares to the stock struts and shocks?

Have you ever tracked or autocrossed your car?
    I also have H&R sports on the car. Seriously, with the Bilsteins, the ride was extremely harsh. I could feel everything in the road, every slight bump or hole. God forbid if you drive in the city...I think Bilsteins are the perfect compromise for a dedicated track car or a car that hardly sees much street. They're just too harsh on and it gets damn annoying after a while. With the Konis, it's such a smooth ride...

I do a few track events a year, nothing crazy, road courses, no AutoX. The turn-in with the Konis are much more predictable than the Bilsteins. Understeer is a bit less I've noticed with the two track events with Konis, but that's personal preference and we're talking about streets here I assume.

Again, for a street car, I would get Konis...

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Armo95, Thanks for the information. I guess I will find out next weekend.

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Armo95, Thanks for the information. I guess I will find out next weekend.
    I don't mean to put you down about your buy, just giving my personal experience with both...some people actually like the ride with the Bilsteins.

This could also be preference as well...alright, well time to head out, it's friday...

Good Luck!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Have a good weekend.

Don't worry, I wasn't thinking that you were slamming my choice.

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Well the new Bilsteins are supposed to be softer than their predecessor correct? So they shouldnt be as harsh a ride...

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    My Koni double adjustables on my GC kit can range from teeth rattling insane to smooth operator by adjusting bump.

I'd still pick the Koni single adjustables over Bilsteins any day, having had both. Build quality on the Bilsteins is great though.

On an editorial note, I think it's ironic that Bilstein did a product update, after Bilstein and Turner swore up and down that no bump stop cutting was required, and that the harsh ride was 'in your head'. Oh well, it only took Bilstein 7 years to fix their shocks.
    In the slow lane

I rode in a M3 w/ H&R race springs and the old Bilstein shocks, I didn't think the Bilsteins were overly stiff. Then again I haven't been in an M3 w/ the Koni shocks, but i'd much prefer the Bilstiens over the blown shocks that I have now.
    Anno_M3, I can't wait until your impressions on the new Bilsteins.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I'm sort of new to the suspension thing, so I'm wondering... do these Konis and Bilsteins that you guys are talking about have model numbers or anything? Where can I take a look at them? How much more expensive are they than stock struts/shocks?

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    I have Bilstein Sports and H&R Sport springs. I don't have my stock shocks anymore, so I guess my only options to improve the ride quality (and keep the similar lowered stance) would be to get the new redesigned Bilstein struts or to go Koni, etc. coilovers, which is considerable more $$$, or switch to Koni's and finding a set stock front struts just for the housing. Any opinions?
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/4
    Okay, so I picked up the Bilsteins today. Plan to do the installation either tonight or tomorrow. Already have alignment appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

My Cars
    Lots
    Awesome, I was wondering about the same thing. Looking forward to hearing the feedback. If possible, please note ride height changes as well.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Quote Originally Posted by JayM3A
    Old versions were recalled last year and the new versions have recently come out (see Turner and bimmerparts websites)
    Can you point me to where you have seen that the old version has been "recalled"? I have seen that the front is redesigned. Information is appreciated

Bernman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast