Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schitzo, RF900rkw.. Radiator Temp vs Pressure test info

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

Schitzo, RF900rkw.. Radiator Temp vs Pressure test info

Oh, just so you don't feel left out (see post #9) Graham you also have my permission to read this post....but only once!

I couldn't get the KTMP above 105 C, it was 48 F outside when I started and 42 F when I finished.
    I didn't bother running any tests with the 1.4 Bar cap. I'll leave the gauge connected and run the test again next summer. I've seen my KTMP as high as 110 C when the AC was on. Test results below pic. July 2013 UPDATE . A few days ago it was 99-100F here south of Boston. I went for a 30 mile drive. The AC was set to 68F on both sides, the KTMP got up to 106C. Not that it really matters but I was using the 2.0 bar cap. The cooling system pressure got up to 18PSI, which should cause a 1.2 bar cap to vent. The PDF has been updated.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JimLev; 07-23-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Had to address the peanut gallery, added July update

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    That is some nice info! So it would seem that the pressures don't get high during winter. I'll be waiting for the summer update. Great job!

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i have never seen mine go past 106c

sometimes when i beat on it, the temp actually drops 1 or 2 as the coolant speeds up.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    i have never seen mine go past 106c

sometimes when i beat on it, the temp actually drops 1 or 2 as the coolant speeds up.
    M62tu has electronically controlled thermostat. When you beat on it, DME will heat up the thermostat causing it to open up sooner.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    M52TU and M54 are similar. It's fascinating to watch KTMP, which normally runs at run at 94C, drop to 86C after WOT in top gear for 10-15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Force View Post
    M62tu has electronically controlled thermostat. When you beat on it, DME will heat up the thermostat causing it to open up sooner.
    Last edited by pshovest; 11-17-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    its because the water pump speed is directly related to engine speed via the belt. Beat on it too long im sure it will start to go back up
    Last edited by topaz540i; 11-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Not on cars with MAP thermostat. DME senses high load, applies 12v to thermostat driving it open, boosting coolant flow. Higher coolant temp improves MPG, lower coolant temp lets engine make more power.

its because the water pump speed is directly related to engine speed via the belt. Beat on it too long im sure it will start to go back up
    Last edited by pshovest; 11-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    yea true it will use the thermostat to try and block the flow of water if the engine cools too much to keep it within a preprogrammed range.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham E39 528i View Post
    JimLev,

I really object to this. Addressing a thread towards certain members?

This forum is for everybody. You are attempting to make it elitist.

Moderator: Please edit the title of this thread, please.

I'm pissed.

GJH
    LOL, think I addressed your concerns, see post #1

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham E39 528i View Post
    JimLev,

I really object to this. Addressing a thread towards certain members?

Moderator: Please edit the title of this thread, please.

I'm pissed.

GJH
    Grow up, look at the treatment Raza got and he had the best E39 on the board
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    Grow up, look at the treatment Raza got and he had the best E39 on the board
    I'm sure he was just joking, as was my response back to him.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    Is this the coolant pressure in the block/heads? Or is it the pressure of the air in the expansion that that is being compressed by the expanding coolant? If there is a difference? I assume there is because air compresses, liquid doesn't?

Where did you attach the gauge to?

Nice too see the pressure so low. Going from 105 to the full 108 is the equivalent of going from 221f to 226f... I would doubt that last 5 degrees is responsible for 10+ more psi in the system, no?

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    It's the pressure in the radiator.
    The Zionsville radiator comes with a port that is 4" below the top of the radiator for the dual temp switch for the non-tu engine aux fans. The tu engines uses a sensor in the lower hose.
    I removed the plug and plumbed the gauge into this port. There is coolant above this port. The system pressure should be similar anywhere in the system whether you are reading it in the top of the expansion tank (air) or at the bottom of the block, as it is a sealed system. It could be slightly higher at the output of the water pump, however that isn't easy to get at.

Edit....Graham you can read this one too....but only once!

Last edited by JimLev; 11-18-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added Graham note, LOL

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    Cool, thanks for the info.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    OK, I'm not suppose to be here but what the heck you can't hit me over the head so I don't care.

So, Jim. What are you trying to demonstrate here? Are you trying to say at 105C with 2.0 bar cap the Zionville radiator only push out 16.5 PSI?

+1000.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    are all tests conducted at sea level? i heard jim was a "hill people".
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Thanks for the numbers Jim. 16.5psi is much lower than I expected for peak pressure however, I doubt this is the max pressure the system sees. I will wait for your summer numbers.
    I did find it interesting the initial 60C rise in temp resulted in a 7.5 psi increase in pressure and the last 5C change (from 100 to 105) also resulted in a 7.5psi increase ( I believe you were driving during the last 5C temp change)

Last edited by Schitzo; 11-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    JimLev has put a lot of time and effort in proving that the 2.0 bar rating on radiator cap does not force cooling system to operate at 2.0 bar, as is widely believed, under all conditions.

Cooling system pressure depends on 1) coolant temperature, and 2) the amount of air in exp tank. Coolant temp impacts coolant vapor pressure and air in exp tank gets compressed as coolant heats and expands, and heated, raising pressure.

With 50/50 AF & water, if we could vent the air from exp tank after engine is at temp, pressures would likely be under 5 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    .......... What are you trying to demonstrate here? Are you trying to say at 105C with 2.0 bar cap the Zionville radiator only push out 16.5 PSI?........
    Last edited by pshovest; 11-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    destiny
    Jim is flossing that dinan CAI in the picture.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post

So, Jim. What are you trying to demonstrate here? Are you trying to say at 105C with 2.0 bar cap the Zionville radiator only push out 16.5 PSI?
    Alex,
    Schitzo, RF900rkw and I were having a discussion about the different caps in another post, sort of hijacked one of Dunne's post. I had mentioned that I was going to do some testing to see what the pressure was in our cooling systems.

are all tests conducted at sea level? i heard jim was a "hill people".
    Thought you were from the hills? LOL, Hillsborough NJ where the heck in that?
    I'm maybe 75' above sea level.

Quote Originally Posted by TriniSpeC View Post
    Jim is flossing that dinan CAI in the picture.
    You know it, CF always looks nice, it weights less too.

Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Thanks for the numbers Jim. 16.5psi is much lower than I expected for peak pressure however, I doubt this is the max pressure the system sees. I will wait for your summer numbers.
    I did find it interesting the initial 60C rise in temp resulted in a 7.5 psi increase in pressure and the last 5C change (from 100 to 105) also resulted in a 7.5psi increase ( I believe you were driving during the last 5C temp change)

Nice graph, I was thinking about doing it but didn't have time.
    I was flogging it at the end to try and get the temp up, in the summer the KTMP usually is 106-108.
    I expect the pressure to climb more, I'd like to get the temp up to 110-112 just to satisfy my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    With 50/50 AF & water, if we could vent the air from exp tank after engine is at temp, pressures would likely be under 5 psi.
    As long as the temp is below 100 C we could release the pressure without the coolant boiling. I'll give it a try, maybe if the pressure goes higher than 20 PSI the 1.4 bar cap might vent and lower the pressure, however that would lower the boiling point. A 60/40 mix (or higher) would bump it up somewhat.
    Last edited by JimLev; 11-18-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2010 E61 535i Xdrive
    This is nice information and it's interesting to see the graph. Thanks for taking the time to test.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Damn, late to my own party.....

Where jim tapped in is probably the lowest pressure in the system, the pump suction side of the radiator. But since this is the same place that the header tank feeds, it's same pressur ethe cap will see and totally relevant

And Schitzo's graph tells the sorty of what happens when temps are pushed over 100C. A little more temp means you have to cover for a potential of a large pressure rise.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    When I pulled into the garage and shut the engine off I expected that some heat soak might raise the pressure. That didn't happen, it stayed at 16.5 and after a few minutes it started to slowly fall.
    I was thinking about connecting the gauge to the rear crossover manifold on the back of the heads. I'm pretty sure there is a plug back there too.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    50/50 AF & water shouldn't boil at 105C, but it's close. According to graph on page 11, at 105C, 50/50 AF & water has vapor pressure of ~700 mm Hg absolute, less then 760mm atm pressure. The Antoine eqn on same page will calculate vapor pressure more precisely.

http://www.meglobal.biz/media/produc...Global_MEG.pdf

It be great to see the effect after venting exp tank. All you need to do is crack cap and bleed off pressure. Even if it flashes a little, there's no real consequence. It would give us another trick to reduce cooling system pressure when we know system is or will be under stress. Unfortunately after engine cools down, vac relief in cap will open and let air back in.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    ...........As long as the temp is below 100 C we could release the pressure without the coolant boiling. I'll give it a try, maybe if the pressure goes higher than 20 PSI the 1.4 bar cap might vent and lower the pressure, however that would lower the boiling point. A 60/40 mix (or higher) would bump it up somewhat.

My Cars
    98 540i6

yes, water pump speed is related; but, that isn't exactly a good thing - the WP was designed for average use and may decrease in efficiency at sustained high RPM.

also, I've done track days - sustained 4k-6k rpms, and the temp stays around 97ºC when commuting, I average between 107º and 114ºC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast