Thread: My Turbo Car Progression

My Cars
    Lots.

My Turbo Car Progression

I was thinking today while out bombing around that I can't imagine owning a car without a turbo. NA power is fun but there is nothing like the kick in the pants delivered by a turbo. Not sure about S/C setups...but given how much I love turbos, I'm not sure I'll ever try one.

I wanted to make a thread to share the progression of turbo cars I have been through and my desire to never be without a turbo car in the stable.

For those who have been around a while, you might remember my last turbo BMW was a built-motor GT35r sedan built by Mike Radowski in 2007 with the first PnP AEM ECU done for a BMW. I loved the car dearly and the insane power it made (535whp and 545wtq), but was always afraid of blowing the HG and it was just such a raw car. I could and did terrify passengers at will. That car started my love for the turbo and I've not been without one since...

After that car I was briefly bit by the redneck bug, though kept the turbo theme alive with a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel with a tuner and full exhaust. It was awesome, yet my wife refused to go anywhere with me as the tires were too loud and she bruised her leg getting in and out.

After that it was another turbo car for the last 3 years: 2005 WRX Wagon. It had a tune, full exhaust, etc and probably made 210awhp on a good day. While I've never driven anything more enjoyable in the snow, the car was fun but not scary fun.

Which leads me to my latest purchase. A car I had been lusting after for the past 8 years. The linear power provided by the K16s and stupid thrust (without wheelspin) is intoxicating. Conservatively pushing 420whp or so (Exhaust & Tune) and ~16psi of boost.

915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very nice.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    335r
    Can you describe your 996 in more detail?

Pros/cons, how hard it is to mod? How do you, personally like it?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3wishin

This ^ and linear power?
    so boost comes in like a s/c ?
    Last one I drove hit hard and pulled through till redline, but was slightly modified.

Love them!!!

FS: GT35R82 T4 $950 (less than 1,000 miles)
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I'd love to see some smokey burnouts with those fikse's in your sig.... with some BOV noises.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3wishin View Post

I just received it a week ago, but thus far its incredible. I had plenty of seat time in an '02 996TT (my father's), so I knew what to generally expect, though my car came with a tune and exhaust which delivers ~80whp over the stock numbers.

They are very easy to mod and very receptive to mods, though mods are expensive given they are subject to the "Porsche Tax" on tuning and kits. If I were to go any further, I would need to go with larger turbos (K16g, 18/24, or even as large as GT30Rs) to see anywhere from 500whp-850whp (depending on turbo selected) in addition to fueling (if exceeding 600whp), boost hoses, bigger intercoolers, etc.

I am content with what I have now and given the costs to get more power, I am not sure I would want to stomach it. It would likely be an easy $6k to take the next step.

The car is very fast and very composed. It doesn't understeer anywhere near as badly as my previous AWD car (WRX), yet I could see the benefit of coilovers for a tracked vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    This ^ and linear power?
    so boost comes in like a s/c ?
    Last one I drove hit hard and pulled through till redline, but was slightly modified.

Love them!!!
    Linear may have been the opposite of what I intended ...

Unlike my previous GT35R experience which had a decent amount of lag and then hit like a sledgehammer right at 4k rpms which caused the wheels to break loose, the 996TT instead builds boost very early (>3k RPMS) and quickly which is deceptive as there is no "big hit" but instead a rapidly ramping of speed. You almost don't realize how fast you are going until you either look at the speedo or simply let off and realize how hard you were pinned into the seat.

40-110 happens in what feels like the blink of an eye.

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    is your avus boosted? i must have missed that in your other thread..the porsche is gorgeous...im picturing colour matched ccw's with polished lips and bolts and some coilovers mhmmmm or any nice/clean/expensive 3 piece wheel with a health dish, and that truck was badass.. id love something like that with a shorter box...you sir have a good taste in motor vehicles.

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3 & 01 996TT
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post

They are very easy to mod and very receptive to mods, though mods are expensive given they are subject to the "Porsche Tax" on tuning and kits. If I were to go any further, I would need to go with larger turbos (K16g, 18/24, or even as large as GT30Rs) to see anywhere from 500whp-850whp (depending on turbo selected) in addition to fueling (if exceeding 600whp), boost hoses, bigger intercoolers, etc.
    k24/20s I hear are the way to go for 600awp the alpha 3076 are 700+.. its soo expensive compared to tuning a M3 but you gotta pay to play.
    2002 911 Turbo k16 billet, JIC Coilovers, GT3BBK, Cobb Mafless, Oz Ultra

My Cars
    2003 M3
    That is my dream car combo right there! One day... lol
    "Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!"

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdshotM3 View Post
    is your avus boosted? i must have missed that in your other thread..the porsche is gorgeous...im picturing colour matched ccw's with polished lips and bolts and some coilovers mhmmmm or any nice/clean/expensive 3 piece wheel with a health dish, and that truck was badass.. id love something like that with a shorter box...you sir have a good taste in motor vehicles.
    Funny, sounds like you were describing the coupe version of my previous M3. No, my M3 is not F/I. It has a lightly built N/A Stickley 3.2 Motor converted to OBD1 with Stickley tuning (230whp on a Mustang Dyno) but no blower or turbo.

The truck was pretty badass. I sold it as I felt it was wildly impractical and figured I wouldn't want another. 3 months later I went and looked at a few 2003 F250s (6.0 motor) but was really focused on the Crew Cab Short Bed as they can get LONG in a CC long bed. Ended up deciding if I do get another truck, it will be a cheap beater and not a diesel (unless I stumble upon crazy money and can afford a dedicated track car, enclosed trailer, and place to keep it).

Quote Originally Posted by E36UC View Post
    k24/20s I hear are the way to go for 600awp the alpha 3076 are 700+.. its soo expensive compared to tuning a M3 but you gotta pay to play.
    I think both of those setups are more than I would find "practical"...but you are right those are the options people seem to gravitate towards now. I considered (2) different cars before buying mine: (1) had the Alpha 30s and the other the 24/20s. Problem with the Alpha 30s is they generate torque so quickly that most everyone agrees that on a stock motor they are a bent rod waiting to happen (including Tony from EPL who seems to tune them most frequently). The downside to the 24/20 seems to be they only separate themselves from 24/18g turbos when using race fuel or E85....neither of which I have ready access to. On pump most seem to say they don't really "shine".

If I were to upgrade the turbos (am I going to look back at this post and think, "That was the moment that I began the process of blowing another $10k on this car? ), I would go with K24/18G to get to 550whp, accompanied by Intake hoses, 997 Intercoolers, Proto Tuning, maybe a larger TB and y-pipe, etc). That setup doesn't seem to induce far more lag, has been proven gentle on the motor in the way it generates boost/torque, and people seem to love it on the street. Essentially an X50/GT2 turbo on steroids with no downsides.
    Last edited by 95RogueM3; 11-13-2012 at 02:59 AM.

My Cars
    TT02 330i, 97 ICSTurboM3
    Quote Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 View Post
    Funny, sounds like you were describing the coupe version of my previous M3. No, my M3 is not F/I. It has a lightly built N/A Stickley 3.2 Motor converted to OBD1 with Stickley tuning (230whp on a Mustang Dyno) but no blower or turbo.

The truck was pretty badass. I sold it as I felt it was wildly impractical and figured I wouldn't want another. 3 months later I went and looked at a few 2003 F250s (6.0 motor) but was really focused on the Crew Cab Short Bed as they can get LONG in a CC long bed. Ended up deciding if I do get another truck, it will be a cheap beater and not a diesel (unless I stumble upon crazy money and can afford a dedicated track car, enclosed trailer, and place to keep it).

I think both of those setups are more than I would find "practical"...but you are right those are the options people seem to gravitate towards now. I considered (2) different cars before buying mine: (1) had the Alpha 30s and the other the 24/20s. Problem with the Alpha 30s is they generate torque so quickly that most everyone agrees that on a stock motor they are a bent rod waiting to happen (including Tony from EPL who seems to tune them most frequently). The downside to the 24/20 seems to be they only separate themselves from 24/18g turbos when using race fuel or E85....neither of which I have ready access to. On pump most seem to say they don't really "shine".

If I were to upgrade the turbos (am I going to look back at this post and think, "That was the moment that I began the process of blowing another $10k on this car? ), I would go with K24/18G to get to 550whp, accompanied by Intake hoses, 997 Intercoolers, Proto Tuning, maybe a larger TB and y-pipe, etc). That setup doesn't seem to induce far more lag, has been proven gentle on the motor in the way it generates boost/torque, and people seem to love it on the street. Essentially an X50/GT2 turbo on steroids with no downsides.
    Nice looking Porsche, that will be my next car a 996 TT or a 997TT nothing like a well set up Porsche.

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Looks kinda funky with the 996 GT3 wheels on there. Any other mods planned for this beast?

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Agreed; a turbo 996 or 997 instead if I can afford it will be my next move. I love those cars to death! There is nothing like them, and the sky is the limit given the wallet can keep up.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Augy View Post
    Looks kinda funky with the 996 GT3 wheels on there. Any other mods planned for this beast?
    I initially thought I would sell the GT3 wheels and get something aftermarket, but these wheels are really growing on me and I will instead be selling the GT Silver refinished Turbo Twists that also came with the car.

No other mods aside from clear turn signals and a rear wiper delete planned for the foreseeable future.