Thread: Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement (Blades from Dealership Parts Dept.)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement (Blades from Dealership Parts Dept.)

My brother did a great wiper blade replacement DIY a while back without pics. Today I replaced my blades and decided to take some pics and do my own DIY thread. I picked up the OE wiper blade refills at the dealership for just over $3.00 USD a piece (Part# 61-61-0-154-441). This DIY focuses on the passenger side wiper as it is more involved and requires trimming of the blade and stiffeners.

- Unlock and remove the wiper assembly.

- Use needle nose pliers to squeeze and release the locking mechanism at the top of the stiffeners and slide the blades and stiffeners out from the wiper assembly.

- The OE blades come with three plastic clips that hold the stiffeners in place in grooves. Slide the clips off and take the stiffeners out of the channels.

- Use the old stiffeners and blade to measure the correct length for the new blade and stiffeners. The stiffeners have notches that make it very easy to snap the stiffener to length without the use of any tools. Be careful to measure carefully. Snap the stiffeners off at the correct length.

- Trim the blade to the correct length using wire cutters or comparable tool.

- Place the stiffeners back into the channels and slide the three clips back into place before inserting the blades into the wiper assembly. Even if you're very careful, the rubber lip closest to the wiper blade can come out of the swiveling clamps leaving only the stiffener secured. While this still won't allow the blade to come free from the assembly, it may cause streaking on the windshield. Either pull the blade back out and try again or you can carefully push the lip back into place.

- Make sure to pull the blades through all the way until the stiffener locking mechanism locks onto the last holder at the top of the wiper assembly.

- Place the completed wiper assembly back into the wiper arm and slide the lock switch back into the locked position.

The driver side is the same without the trimming steps.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Thanks much. Good timing. NorCal rains will begin soon. Some will be caught with their knickers down with dried-up blades.

Which reminds me - get to the dealer for some inserts, and pull my knickers up!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Great DIY James.
    Nice writing on the tool box!

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    I need to do this. Have the inserts in my garage for 1 year now, and learned to live with streaks.......
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    99 528iT - 85 Nissan720
    Wish I'd seen this a few days ago. Paid $50 for new Bosch wiper blades on Sunday. Saved the old ones in case I could find refills, so next time ill have them ready for this DIY.
    Guy at auto parts shop said refills are no longer available. What's the whole truth?

My Cars
    2014 Nissan Maxima
    Cool DIY....just did mine about 2 weeks ago.
    '02 BMW X5 (wife's) - Steel Grey w/Black Leather - Auto
    '04 Harley Davidson RoadKing Classic

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereiracycles View Post
    Guy at auto parts shop said refills are no longer available. What's the whole truth?
    Get them at the dealership parts dept.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereiracycles View Post
    Wish I'd seen this a few days ago. Paid $50 for new Bosch wiper blades on Sunday. Saved the old ones in case I could find refills, so next time ill have them ready for this DIY.
    If you're in sales, the truth is you want to sell the 50$ unit as opposed to the 3$ unit.
    James picked up the inserts from the dealer - he mentioned that, so they are available. If you ask the counter guy, he will try try to sell you the most expensive thing. Hey, he might even tell you you need the whole arm.
    But if you ask like James: "Hey mate, please get me the refills p/n 61618217711", he has no choice but to sell what YOU ASKED for.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    A good reminder thread

the refills are quite cheap, I paid about $15 each for mine. I change them every year or they start to streak.

absolutely NO REASON to replace the entire whiper arm, the OEM BMW whiper arms are proven to work over 150mph with no lift, streaking, etc. and all you do (like above) is pull out a little rubber strip
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    A good reminder thread

the refills are quite cheap, I paid about $15 each for mine. I change them every year or they start to streak.

absolutely NO REASON to replace the entire whiper arm, the OEM BMW whiper arms are proven to work over 150mph with no lift, streaking, etc. and all you do (like above) is pull out a little rubber strip
    The stiffeners are a bit of a PITA, but with the plastic clips they're not a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    If you're in sales, the truth is you want to sell the 50$ unit as opposed to the 3$ unit.
    James picked up the inserts from the dealer - he mentioned that, so they are available. If you ask the counter guy, he will try try to sell you the most expensive thing. Hey, he might even tell you you need the whole arm.
    But if you ask like James: "Hey mate, please get me the refills p/n 61618217711", he has no choice but to sell what YOU ASKED for.
    True. I always do research and know exactly what part numbers I need before calling (thanks to this site and the helpful members here). I'll go ahead and add the part numbers to my OP.

Part# 61-61-0-154-441
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    2001 530i 5sp
    Yeah, I remember when these new "warranty" inserts first became available about 5-6 years ago, they were $3.00 a piece. Today my local dealer is ripping me off to the tune of $15 a piece. Screw 'em, I'll find some other solution.
    Keith
    2001 530i 5sp; 2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Yeah, I remember when these new "warranty" inserts first became available about 5-6 years ago, they were $3.00 a piece. Today my local dealer is ripping me off to the tune of $15 a piece. Screw 'em, I'll find some other solution.
    That's definitely a bit high.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-07-2012 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Sport
    Old thread, but figured I'd mention: I just did this with fillers (i think the brand is Trico?) bought from my local Advance Autoparts store, about $8 for a box of 2.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Potentially clever... anyone try this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j28FHrAb6Mc

My Cars
    '11 528 Msport, '95 840i
    That video is so terrible I couldn't even watch it.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by redimension View Post
    That video is so terrible I couldn't even watch it.
    The video uses a camera that is taking 3 or 4 frame per second, with lots of up-close rapid hand movements. If you are prone to motion sickness, don't watch it. If you are annoyed by bad quality or poor production values, don't watch it. If don't like watching a five minute video for 30 seconds worth of information, don't watch it.

Basically it says to buy new Bosch micro-edge blade assemblies, remove the rubber insert, and install in your original blades.