Thread: DRL's dont like them

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90

DRL's dont like them

I want to disable or unprogram my DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). I called the dealer and they said they cant do it because its a safety feature
    Not too sure how DRL's work for safety when theres sun outside. . But I know people have done it before and I know its not a requirement to have them here in California. . Anybody know a way on how to do this ? ? Help will be greatly appreciated. .

My Cars
    Buy the BMW scanner 1.4.0 from xcar360.com for ~$30. Extremely easy to use

You'll also need the 16 to 20 pin adapter which is $10
    Last edited by smeli; 10-30-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    m54 sport, m30, 1000cc
    Quote Originally Posted by MozMan08
    I want to disable or unprogram my DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). I called the dealer and they said they cant do it because its a safety feature
    Not too sure how DRL's work for safety when theres sun outside. . But I know people have done it before and I know its not a requirement to have them here in California. . Anybody know a way on how to do this ? ? Help will be greatly appreciated. .
    Iirc its for situations when the sun is a blinding factor instead of just light. I.e. When you're cresting a hill with the sun behind you, someone 40 yards up trying to turn into your lane has a problem seeing you because of the sun. They are supposed to help then.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325xi 5spd.
    Get a USB KKL 409.1 Vagcom cable with an FT232RL chip, its the one with the blue cable. I have a thread on ebay sellers that use this chip. If you're skeptical, just email them and ask "does your cable use the FT232RL chip?" and they will tell you. This should cost you < $15.

Once you receive it, quickly solder Pin 7 and Pin 8 together, it takes about 5 minutes to open up the cable, solder the pins, and put it back together.

Continue with the mod shown on this page:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1505990

Once that's done, set up a computer with NCS Expert/INPA/Ediabas. Here's a guide that works on how to do it correctly:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...winxp-t102843/

You can get NCS Expert/INPA/Ediabas as a package online through downloading, just look around.

You can use NCS Expert to turn off DRL's.

I highly suggest learning how to update your Daten files, and learning how to use NCS Dummy which decodes the German on the module files.

| CSL 18" Reps | H&R Coilovers | UUC EVO3 Short Shifter | Conforti Shark Injector | Magnaflow exhaust | TMS Power Pulleys | CAI with Custom Built Box | Drilled/Slotted Rotors | ZHP Shift Knob | Brushed Metal Trim | ECS Carbon Fiber Brake Handle | Black Grilles | Angel Eyes | DIY Clutch Stop | DEPO Smoked Corners | DEPO Sidemarkers | DEPO Smoked R/C/R Tails | DIY AUX input | DIY Red Needle Mod | CDV Delete | Front License Plate Delete | Debadged |

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90
    Cool.. Thank you guys.. Youve all been really helpful.. Really appreciate it..

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Pull the bulbs out

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    Pull the bulbs out
    LOL! ! The funny part is that for some reason yesterday when I posted this, I had a feeling that some one was gonna come out with a smart ass answer like yours. .
    Of course I could do that, but I wouldnt want any warning light of bulb failures on my dash. .

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Call another dealer
    Last edited by WoLF; 11-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90
    I called 3 different dealers.. All said no because of safety features by BMW.. One dealer charges me $142!!! I dont hate my DRL's THAT much to spend that much money.. Hahaha.. $142 for something that won't even take 5 minutes to do.. Crazy..

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MozMan08 View Post
    I called 3 different dealers.. All said no because of safety features by BMW.. One dealer charges me $142!!! I dont hate my DRL's THAT much to spend that much money.. Hahaha.. $142 for something that won't even take 5 minutes to do.. Crazy..

You've spent WAAAY more than 5 minutes trying to do it youself without much luck. maybe it's time to let the pros handle it. (Although, I will say that the charge should be about half of that number or less for the programming that is required to turn off your DRLs).
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MozMan08

$100.00 to show up, and $21.00 to remove each bulb...

Guess this explains why the owner of my local BMW Dealer just built a 16,000 square foot house on a $900,000 piece of land. I guess removing drl's adds up!
    Last edited by AAfan; 11-01-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    JH//2005 Oxford Green Metalic//325ci//5spd auto// all stock// for now

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Removing bulbs will cause a error on the dashboard no doubt. You could install resistors to bypass the errors but that is just as much work as buying all the connectors and getting a program to recode your DRLs yourself. I would just pay to go to the cheapest dealer and get it done with. DIY also doesn't ensure it may work.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325Ci
    Sorry your dealers Suck so bad. The one near me enabled my alarm and programmed my key fob for free. That small act of kindness earned them some of my business for sure!

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by MozMan08 View Post
    LOL! ! The funny part is that for some reason yesterday when I posted this, I had a feeling that some one was gonna come out with a smart ass answer like yours. .
    Of course I could do that, but I wouldnt want any warning light of bulb failures on my dash. .
    Thats what tape is for. Cover the warning light, problem solved

Seriously though, if they bug you that much, get the scanner and code them off. Very easy and it opens a world of other options you can turn on and off.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by smeli View Post
    Buy the BMW scanner 1.4.0 from xcar360.com for ~$30. Extremely easy to use

You'll also need the 16 to 20 pin adapter which is $10
    I can't find the DIY for this, the thought of spending $50 to be able to reprogram some things in my car kept me interested. Do you mind providing a link to a DIY or which 20 pin adapter to look for?

My Cars
    http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-20pin-to-...connector.html

You need that adapter for pre 2001 cars.

The software is pretty straight forward. It's just checking and unchecking boxes. There are some walkthroughs on the forums. I think there's a prettygood one on e46f.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    You've spent WAAAY more than 5 minutes trying to do it youself without much luck. maybe it's time to let the pros handle it. (Although, I will say that the charge should be about half of that number or less for the programming that is required to turn off your DRLs).
    I agree. I checked with the dealer and I was told $79. I want the DRLs off and the stupid autolock function turned off. Shouldn't be $142.