Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drove with the E-brake on!!!!

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe

Drove with the E-brake on!!!!

Oh jeez. Drove 200-300 yards with the e-brake on... like fully on.
    I thought the rpms were dipping rather quickly between shifts...
    Nothing seems to be wrong... car still runs strong. Just thought it was funny. Should've seen the look on my face when I realized what had happened.

regards,
    Hankthetank94

My Cars
    '74 tii, '85 & '86 535i
    My wife does this too regularly. You/d think the bright red warning would be a head's up...
    John in VA
    BMW CCA member
    National Capital Chapter
    '74 tii "Juanita"
    '85 535i "Goldie"
    '86 535i "M-POSSTR"
    '00 328i "Fern"
    '03 530i "Titan"

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Make sure you don't have a rattle when going over bumps.

The park brake springs will overheat and loose tension, you might also notice the inside of the rear brake discs will rust from the overheating.

Sounds like you might be ok, as you didn't drive all that far.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    E30 M3, E36
    Best thread....ever!

Haha I kid. With a manual it's harder to do
    USMC...R
    Current: 1988 M3 Alpine
    1995 325i hellrot
    2013 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    Past:1993 325is 5MT Alpine
    1996 328is 5MT Swartz
    2007 350z Touring MT
    2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD 6MT
    2011 Honda Ruckus
    2007 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
    2005 Triumph Speed Triple
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R600
    2003 Honda CBR 600RR

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    My wife does this too regularly. You/d think the bright red warning would be a head's up...

I'd also worry about what other warnings she may ignore.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    How about this: don't engage the e-brake/parking brake unless you're parked on an incline.

Think about it.
    Last edited by SwiftSmooth528; 09-29-2012 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSmooth528 View Post
    How about this: don't engage the e-brake/parking brake unless you're parked on an incline.

Think about it.
    Thanks man I'll try it and let you know how it goes

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I did this on my G35, had a foot brake and a good amount of power, so didn't really feel the drag.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    M5 dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthetank94 View Post
    Nothing seems to be wrong... car still runs strong. Just thought it was funny. Should've seen the look on my face when I realized what had happened.

regards,
    Hankthetank94
    everyones done this before. Just when I did it I only went maybe 20 feet. I was like WTF it feels like I'm dragging an anchor then the light came on.

Believe it or not a trick to driving a stick is to pull the ebrake halfway up when stopped on a hill so you don't roll back.
    I don't think it would cause much damage at low speeds. If you take it up to 40 mph then you might have a problem but at 5 mph NBD

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd

regards,
    Hankthetank94
    wait a minute, did i see that this car was for sale in another thread?

not to self: dont buy hank's car
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    wait a minute, did i see that this car was for sale in another thread?

not to self: dont buy hank's car
    haha yeah topaz you did...

Guys come on. I drove 200 yards with the ebrake on. relax. probably the worst thing I've done to the car.

regards,
    Hankthetank94

Quote Originally Posted by DUNNE44 View Post
    everyones done this before. Just when I did it I only went maybe 20 feet. I was like WTF it feels like I'm dragging an anchor then the light came on.

Believe it or not a trick to driving a stick is to pull the ebrake halfway up when stopped on a hill so you don't roll back.
    I don't think it would cause much damage at low speeds. If you take it up to 40 mph then you might have a problem but at 5 mph NBD
    Dunne... learn how to drive stick dude. don't you ever pull that e-brake again to help you on a hill.
    Last edited by hankthetank94; 09-29-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M5 dinan
    haha yeah topaz you did...

Guys come on. I drove 200 yards with the ebrake on. relax. probably the worst thing I've done to the car.

regards,
    Hankthetank94

Dunne... learn how to drive stick dude. don't you ever pull that e-brake again to help you on a hill.
    Hank is a so smart he goes around saying how he beats the shit out of his car and then brags saying he bought it for 9200 then posts it for sale for 11000
    Hank do yourself a favor and shut up about your car. If your serious about selling it post how great its driving and no problems with it and that you bought it for $1 million but are willing to take a loss

This method I used when I was learning. Now I'm so good I don't need too.

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    Hank is a so smart he goes around saying how he beats the shit out of his car and then brags saying he bought it for 9200 then posts it for sale for 11000
    Hank do yourself a favor and shut up about your car. If your serious about selling it post how great its driving and no problems with it and that you bought it for $1 million but are willing to take a loss

This method I used when I was learning. Now I'm so good I don't need too.
    Dunne... relax. What I said about stick was me playing around with you. Obviously I prefer if you could actually catch yourself on a hill but whatever floats your boat. I'm not trying to make fun of you. And just fyi, I never beat the shit out of my car. driving 200 yards with the ebrake on was the worst thing I've done to it. And no offense, but your reply didn't make a lot of sense. Honestly I think you should appreciate the fact that I even admit to my wrongdoings with my 540i. Do you know how many people lie through their teeth when they sell a car? exactly.

relax and happy shifting,
    hankthetank94
    Last edited by hankthetank94; 09-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    M5 dinan
    Dunne... relax. What I said about stick was me playing around with you. Obviously I prefer if you could actually catch yourself on a hill but whatever floats your boat. I'm not trying to make fun of you. And just fyi, I never beat the shit out of my car. driving 200 yards with the ebrake on was the worst thing I've done to it.

happy shifting,
    hankthetank94
    Yea I take things personal sometimes. Sorry

I love to drive my car like it was made to be driven. I don't see the point of a sports car if you drive it like a mini van. That doesn't mean I don't love my car because everyone who knows me knows it goes Car, Golf , Girl in that order.

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    Yea I take things personal sometimes. Sorry

I love to drive my car like it was made to be driven. I don't see the point of a sports car if you drive it like a mini van. That doesn't mean I don't love my car because everyone who knows me knows it goes Car, Golf , Girl in that order.
    Dunne my friend... your talking to the right guy. Love to get out and play sometime - PM me if your ever in the trenton area I'm a member at Trenton Country Club.... not for nothing, but I'm also scratch

regards,
    Hankthetank94

My Cars
    M5 dinan
    Dunne my friend... your talking to the right guy. Love to get out and play sometime - PM me if your ever in the trenton area I'm a member at Trenton Country Club.... not for nothing, but I'm also scratch

regards,
    Hankthetank94
    Ok man I'll play you for pink slips. I'm number 6 in mass for D1 high school golf. I'm actually a scratch. I'm on the belly putter band wagon. But since its going to be illegal next year I have the next big thing. Its better than a belly putter.Ivan Lendl owns some of the company. I'm just a salesman kinda don't tell the NCAA but I might get paid to use it. They're lauching it next year so you haven't heard of it yet. I GOT the prototype

My Cars
    '04 525i

regards,
    Hankthetank94
    on my car the red warning lite on the cluster illuminates and the gong will sound repetitively till the e brake is released......?aural and visual warning.....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iA TiAg
    Does yours not make the "bong bong" sound like when the door is open and the key is left in the ignition? Mine makes that sound when the parking brake is left on and the car starts moving. Same deal in my mom's 1999 528i.

"Serena" Current mileage: 150,157. 15 years celebrated 09/20/2015.

My Cars
    '98 M3/5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigil750il View Post
    Does yours not make the "bong bong" sound like when the door is open and the key is left in the ignition? Mine makes that sound when the parking brake is left on and the car starts moving. Same deal in my mom's 1999 528i.
    I would argue that it's more of a "ding ding" than a "bong bong"
    And nah... I mean I didn't hear it obviously.

My Cars
    '00 M5, 79' 633csi, 5.0
    I believe the proper term is gong. C'mon guys, it says so in the secret menu thing its a gong test.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ2sQAKrh94[/ame]

I don't know what the confusion is all about. Mine sounds just like this sound clip.
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 09-30-2012 at 03:27 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 M5
    e-brakes suck on this car that's why you couldn't notice
    instagram: @narvinbeans

My Cars
    e24, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Narvin View Post
    e-brakes suck on this car that's why you couldn't notice
    So I am not crazy thinking my E-brake sucks. It wont hold my car still at all. (auto)
    635csi - SHRKATK - Zinnoberrot

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    If you install and adjust it properly, it works like a dream. If you negelct it and do a hack job maintaining it, it will fail just like any other system in a car.

My Cars
    M5 dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2sqakrh94

i don't know what the confusion is all about. Mine sounds just like this sound clip.
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast