Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: Euro 6 speed swap group buy

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5

Feeler: Euro 6 speed swap group buy

Im trying (unsuccessfully) not to go off topic on others threads so since I have been getting questions about this a lot lately, I figured I'd start a new thread.

THE GOODS

I have a line on reconditioned (all new internals) euro 6 speed transmissions. AFAIK, it comes with an upgraded, performance clutch assembly, what ever that means. It does come with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. All updates will have been done. I believe this is as close as you can get to a new transmission as it gets. As anyone who has researched this swap knows, there are a lot of questions and posts about the subject and a lot of wrong information in those posts.

I was planning on offering a group buy on these transmissions along with all the necessary parts to make this a bolt on swap. Everything that needs to be cut/welded would be sent to you along with the other necessary miscellaneous parts and pieces. This would also most likely include a UUC short shift kit as they have been very helpful and willing to make parts specific to this swap. Rougue Engineering might have something to offer soon according to mpire, but as of 2 weeks ago, was not interested in making a kit.

THE BADS

The only part that I do not see as being included in this buy is the driveshaft. It needs to be shortened and balanced. This could be shipped to me, modified, then shipped back or just taken someplace local to you.

There might also be a core charge for your old 5 speed which would need to be shipped back to my supplier of the transmissions. This is not yet confirmed.

CONCLUSION

I haven't worked out all the numbers yet because I want to finish my swap first. I also want to test out all the parts and pieces, make sure all cut/welded parts fit, SSK is aligned right and worth the money. I also want to test out the "performance" clutch that comes with the transmission. I know nothing about what it is, it's street ability, or hp rating. I have a new stock clutch to put back in if it is not to my liking.

I think I can offer the above package for around $2500.00 give or take a hundred or 2, not including shipping or core charges. For this price, I have to order in batches of five or more. Anything less than five, the price per transmission goes up by $500.

Is there anyone truely interested in this swap at this price or should I just finish mine and call it a day? The only person making any profit on this deal is the transmission supplier, not me. I have saved a bunch of money by those on this forum, this is just my way of giving back. If no one is interested, my feelings will in no way be hurt. I figured after doing all the research, finding part numbers and suppliers, coming up with the bolt on kit was pretty painless.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    How will the payment work?

Down payment and pay remaining while delivery, or pay in full, sit and wait?

Is your supplier in the US?

I would also like to know about "upgraded performance clutch assembly". I'll be due clutch soon, If this kit has a brand new, plus upgraded clutch included, I might be interested.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I could be very interested. ... now all you need to add to the package is a 3.73 lsd diff.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 5-speed
    If I grenade my stock 5-speed tranny I'd be very interested... but as of now, that's a little too pricey for me. $2500+shipping for 1 more gear is alittle much as long as my stock tranny is working well.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Perfect time for me to do this since I'm due for a new pressure plate. I just wish I had the funds.

Thanks for considering putting this together...I know I would be all over this if I could.
    -Phil

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I am interested. I thought there was already a kit out there, or am I mistaken? I assume this would be a bolt on for the S52? I have only vaguely been following the other threads--what is the advantage to the euro 6 speed over other 6 speed alternatives? I too would like to know more about the clutch package. If its a good clutch kit, that really makes your package a good deal. Since it is rebuilt, I am guessing this covers the shift pin fix to boot. Does this include the shift knob--lighted? Do you run stock motor mounts and a different trans mount, or all different mounts? Anyway, price seems good at first blush--definitely want to know more. This and a stage 2 kit for my SC are next on the list. Thanks for the effort and commitment to the community.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 5-speed
    Follow-up question.

What would be the gear ratio's?

My Cars
    2000 E39, 2000 E36/7
    It is a bit pricy for me as well. On top of that I still need to order Randy's kit.
    If you can setup a payment plan, I'm down.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I am interested. I thought there was already a kit out there, or am I mistaken? I assume this would be a bolt on for the S52? I have only vaguely been following the other threads--what is the advantage to the euro 6 speed over other 6 speed alternatives? I too would like to know more about the clutch package. If its a good clutch kit, that really makes your package a good deal. Since it is rebuilt, I am guessing this covers the shift pin fix to boot. Does this include the shift knob--lighted? Do you run stock motor mounts and a different trans mount, or all different mounts? Anyway, price seems good at first blush--definitely want to know more. This and a stage 2 kit for my SC are next on the list. Thanks for the effort and commitment to the community.
    Here is the other kit: http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...ode/6SP000.htm

$2500 is a lot to pay for one more gear but the price is very good for what your'e getting (assuming you don't have to ship back your old 5-speed)

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I wouldn't want any ZF crap in my cars.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    To try and answer questions.

1. I do not know anything about the clutch. It came as a surprise that there was 1 included. I ordered the transmission thinking that it did not have a clutch and bought an OEM clutch, pp and TOB. I am holding on to them until I know more about this clutch. Things are a little hush hush from the company as these come from Germany and have to deal with customs and all that crap. Mine should be here soon so I can have pics as soon as I get the call. Time from order to now is about 4 weeks. I was told 2 weeks when I ordered but we all know how that goes.

2. I think payment would be in 2 phases. ~2/3 maybe to cover ordering the transmissions and then once they come in, the rest of the money due and I'll get everything else and get it sent out.

3. Gears 1-5 are essentially the same as our ZF transmission. 6th is a true OD with a .83 ratio.

4. Talk to mcoupemindy about your diffs. I am rebuilding mine at a 60% lockup with his stuff.

5. This should bolt right up to any of our cars except the 1.9's I believe.

6. This does require a different transmission crossmember but you can reuse your existing mounts or replace/upgrade as you wish. Mine were new this spring, I'm reusing mine.

7. No new shift knob. You'll have to find your own. I ordered a ZHP M 6 speed knob for $65 from leather Z which should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by Wertles; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    Not to sound negative, but I'm personally very hesitant about overseas group buys.

Is it being shipped directly to you, or do you have a contact person in the US?

I'm wondering how would the customs taxes and tariffs be for that. Any idea about customs?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    It is not really an overseas group buy. There just aren't euro 6 speeds in the US. My buddy owns a transmission shop, he is getting these through one of his regular suppliers. As for the customs taxes/tariffs, I'm not sure, they just quote me a price delivered to his shop.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    That was my question. So there's a contact person in the US, cool. B2B would be different than a person ordering 6 trannys shipped to his garage.

Depending on the clutch situation and delivery times, I am interested. It would seal the deal if we could get some of the money back by donating our 5-sp transmissions. If not, I'd like to keep it and probably sell it privately.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Yeah, when I did the last transmission group buy I paid for the crazy expensive air freight delivery and had them delivered in a week.

I did have one guy back out at the last minute.

And another guy sued me 5 years to the day in small claims court because he said the transmission didn't work.

So good luck to you, and I hope you don't hate us all when this is all done.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Yeah, when I did the last transmission group buy I paid for the crazy expensive air freight delivery and had them delivered in a week.

And another guy sued me 5 years to the day in small claims court because he said the transmission didn't work.

I remember reading those old posts. Hopefully I don't run into any of these problems. Payment will be through the transmission shop, not me. The warranties and such will be covered through his business. I have worked with this shop with great results in the past (built my diesel transmission to hold 1200 ft-lbs of torque and pull 18 K pounds through mountains all day long) for about half of what the big named transmission shops are charging.

Again, I'm not making a penny on this so if no one wants it, my life is only less complicated and my car more unique.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire

I can draft a release that ought to cover the group buy coordinator and donate it to the cause-/no guarantees on releases, but I've been doing this for 20 years now and have gotten pretty good at it. I would just assume hang onto my 5 speed as a spare for a 2nd M Roady I'm putting together. Looking forward to pics--especially of the clutch. We can come up with a way to deal with the back out problem by using an escrow agent or other intermediary for the final disbursement of funds.

My Cars
    Dinan BMW M ROADSTER, FERRARI 355/ E46 M3
    I'd be interested if the price was little less.
    drive it like you stole it

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by madturk View Post
    I'd be interested if the price was little less.
    Guess I should have started out at 3 large ones.

My Cars
    goes vroom vroom
    I'm in if the 2500 covers all shipping...

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Guess I should have started out at 3 large ones.
    Haha, don't worry it's not for everyone.

But yeah let's see how yours comes out first....

Also, I'd be really worried sending this kind of amount to someone not in the states local to someone...

I'm still waiting on a group buy gone sour - sport skirts.. it's been maybe over a year now with no sign of the money returning.

My Cars
    Dinan BMW M ROADSTER, FERRARI 355/ E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebrakel8 View Post
    I'm in if the 2500 covers all shipping...
    I too am in for $2500 shipped!!
    Thanks
    drive it like you stole it

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    i'm in!

only thing that concerns me is the clutch set up. what will it hold since i'm S/C'd and hope to go over the 500hp mark real soon

if the supplied clutch/pressure plate don't work out can i get it with out it?
    Last edited by MC28REPSOL; 08-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    Maddog

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    I'm intrigued for $2500 shipped, although it doesn't really sound like that will be the price at this point.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    I'm intrigued for $2500 shipped, although it doesn't really sound like that will be the price at this point.
    +1
    1999 M Coupe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast