Thread: Replacing Dash, tips?

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan

Replacing Dash, tips?

In about 6 months I want to change over my interior in my 98 4/5 from dove grey to black. I have everything but the dash (current dash is dove grey)and want to replace it to match the new interior.

1. Is it worth replacing to match the new interior?
    2. Any tips or things I should know before I do this?
    3. Aside from the radio and steering wheel are there any upgrades I should look at making?
    4. Does anyone in the tri-state area wanna help me with this that I will gladly pay for?

Thanks!

My Cars
    BMW
    1. If you'd like a black dash then yes it is
    2. Rear as many DIYs as you can find, go slow, and make notes of where each bolt, screw, and nut came from as you go.

It's a fairly tedious process in the E36. HERE is a great diy that I used when pulling the tan dash out of my car and replacing it with a black one.

3. Sounds like you're on the right path

My Cars
    '98 M3
    It's not that bad of a job, just a lot of small nuts and bolts here and there. Only advice I have for you is if you need to do anything with the heater core or blower, do it while you're in there.

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    The hardest part is just removing and tightening the 4 bolts/screws at the top of the dash under the windshield vent trims. Pickup a right angle screw driver from harbor freight and a really short Philips screwdriver. You should be fine after that. Everything else is a breeze.

Last edited by JCooper; 08-20-2012 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    Awesome appreciate the help and info!

Basically what I'm hearing is grab a buddy or two, 1x30 rack and take a weekend to knock it out.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Question: Is it worth replacing to match the new interior?

Answer: If it is important to YOU, yes.

In my book (see my sig) personalization is priority. I am the proud owner of a 1995 M3, WITH tilt steering. Is the range of tilt worth the effort? H#LL no! Was the effort worth the value of being different? You bet.

My advice- buy some extra fasteners, and plan to clean up the mess of wiring back there (zip ties etc), a can of spray paint for any rusted tube steel etc-- I re-worked my HVAC foam connections while I had my dash apart, ran wiring for future gauges, and added aux wiring circuits for future misc. electrical doo-dads. Also added insulation to HVAC lines (for the heck of it).
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    Great stuff, thanks guys. I think it'll be good to just clean everything out and replace some old and beat up parts.

This will be apart of a complete (well almost complete) transformation. Looking at new wheels too! Just don't know what I want yet. New cat back and upgrade the front sway (took the rear out after I wen to coil overs). I'll post pics when complete.

My Cars
    99 M3 vert w/man,01 F350
    I think those M-Parallel wheels look pretty sharp on your 4-dr! I had them on a 94 325i vert and thought they looked darn good. Quite different from the usual M3 wheel varieties. Good luck on dash replacement; sounds like something I would not/could not even begin to think about.
    1999 M3 vert, Rogue SSK, Conforti intake, SS replica catback, UUC adj rear control arms, Eibach springs, Konis, Beyern rims, cross-drilled Zimmermans w/Akebono Euro ceramic pads, ASC delete, Bosch Euro lamps, ZKW Euro foglamps

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    I like those M Pars as well, however, that black car is a track rat now and I don't think I can make those to on the DD, so they will be up for sale/trade soon, still deciding on what wheels I wan and would look good.

My Cars
    M3's, CTS-V
    I thought about replacing my dash with a black one from tan in one of my e36's. I was going to replace it either way, so I sprayed my dash, glove box, everything associated with the dash with interior paint to see how it looked. People think its OEM.. Just a thought it you dont mind not having a Authentic color dash and would rather not go through the hassle of removing and replacing. Also, its cheap!

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan
    That's a good idea actually. I might try that. Worst case is that I don't like it and I replace it anyway. Do you have any pics you can post so I can take a look?

My Cars
    M3's, CTS-V
    I wish I had actually snapped some pictures of the dash, never thought to. I recently sold the car. The dash still looked as good as the day I sprayed it. I did it 3yrs ago and it survived the FL heat with no problems. The hardest part was prepping around the windshield so I wouldnt get over spray on it. I took off the kick panels, glove box, anything attached I sprayed separately. If I had another e36 with a dash other than black, I would definitley spray it. I believe I used a satin black.
    Well heres you can see some of the parts I painted from my thread selling the car. Car was my DD, dont mind the seats lol.

Last edited by lowoctane; 08-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.