Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My E34 Touring (new guy)

My Cars
    E46

My E34 Touring (new guy)

Just bought a handsome Arktis grey 525i Touring, its rough but it runs 227k on m50tu
    (so slow, but comfy)

Anyways really good info here seeing as most my buddys hangout on R3V are e30 guys needed more info and the r3v forums 5 series stuff is really young so I came here and low and behold theres a whole pdf of the Bentley manual on the first page SCORE! haha I'm trying to ease in so I'll try make it as pain free and bearable as possible still pretty noob though. Anyways I start my thread off with a couple questions seeing as there some serious ogs here.

My list at the moment.
    1. Kinda getting shit mileage 17-20mpg (city mostly) or my o2 off? havent checked I'm making a list
    2. Follow up as well im running regluar gas atm should I switch to premium asap?
    3. Does a E32 pedal matrix bolt directly into E34 (5spd swap?) getrag 260/280? diffs?
    4. Suspension specifics!!!? Whats the ins and outs of the wagon? any major specifics?

Really just want keep this thing running so it can stay my daily and survive the rainy/winter season in Seattle!
    Last edited by AustinK425; 08-21-2012 at 04:18 AM.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinK425
    3. Does a E32 pedal matrix bolt directly into E34 (5spd swap?) getrag 260/280? diffs?
    It does, but e32 manuals are exceedingly rare. Did you find one for parts already? E34 manuals are much more common. The gearbox has to come from another M50 engine. I don't know the numbers on those, but it isn't 260 or 280, those only fit the big 6's. Diffs are interchangeable among e34's except the 540i and M5. There are several ratios though, so get the right one.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Welcome to the forum! I'm new too and everyone here has been pretty awesome thus far. There's SO much info on this forum and so much to learn. GL keeping the car running!

My Cars
    E46
    forsure I saw your post swiss haha this seems to be the difinitive E34 forums.
    Yeah found an older couple with 2 E32s for sale for $1500. ones is for sure manual and drives downside is it has 300k on it. While the other is a parts car in the garage, need check it out again see if its for sale still hopefully they didnt scrap em yet.

But can all the E32 parts be direct bolt on? pumps hoses etc? if so I have found a very cheap 5spd swap, unless I need to do a rebuild on the tranny.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Haha. Yeah this, place is pretty awesome.

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    Mileage is on par with mine. Driving like you're asleep and freeways help some, but as I've been told: "20 mpg's out of a big car with a small 6 and auto is pretty decent".

I run 89 most of the time, 91 every 4 or 5 fillups. I don't know if I'm wasting money or not.

I believe the rear springs are a different rate due to the added weight, but other than that, there's something to do with the bolt size on the front strut. I think thats a year thing, not a sedan/touring thing. I think the rest is the same between the two?

Photobucket is your friend for pics.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinK425 View Post
    Yeah found an older couple with 2 E32s for sale for $1500. ones is for sure manual and drives downside is it has 300k on it. While the other is a parts car in the garage, need check it out again see if its for sale still hopefully they didnt scrap em yet.

But can all the E32 parts be direct bolt on? pumps hoses etc? if so I have found a very cheap 5spd swap, unless I need to do a rebuild on the tranny.
    Only thing that will work is the pedal box. You could source the transmission from an e36/e34.. not sure about master
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by cddallara View Post
    Photobucket is your friend for pics.
    yeah I know bunt i cant link stuff in yet in yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    Only thing that will work is the pedal box. You could source the transmission from an e36/e34.. not sure about master
    Good to know, saved me the trip of going out to check if those cars were for sale still.

My Cars
    2014 Nissan Maxima
    Congrats and welcome aboard
    '02 BMW X5 (wife's) - Steel Grey w/Black Leather - Auto
    '04 Harley Davidson RoadKing Classic

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    yeah I know bunt i cant link stuff in yet in yet

Copy/paste img tags.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    1990 318iT
    07 MINI Cooper S & 1990 318i Touring.

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Arctic Silver. Yum.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Welcome aboard. Love to see other Tourings added to the fold....

1. Kinda getting shit mileage 17-20mpg (city mostly) or my o2 off? havent checked I'm making a list
    Heavy car, auto-tragic, 4.10 rear end.... 17-20 city... not bad.

2. Follow up as well im running regluar gas atm should I switch to premium asap?
    Recommended to get the most out of the engine, but you probably won't notice much of a difference.

3. Does a E32 pedal matrix bolt directly into E34 (5spd swap?) getrag 260/280? diffs? Pedal assembly should come from any e34. 92's got the ZF310z trans. A bit stronger than the Getrag. Just make sure to get the trans/shifter/linkage and drive shaft for the specific trans. Rear end should be a 3.23 (LSD if possible).... at 85mph you'll be at 3500rpm with a 3.23 The transmissions are a 1:1 fifth, no overdrive.

4. Suspension specifics!!!? Whats the ins and outs of the wagon? any major specifics? Nothing special unless you have Self Leveling Suspension (SLS) Mine had it, it was leaking, it got yanked. Rear springs are a bit heavier as the ass end on the tourings is heavier. I'm currently on stock height rear sedan springs and shocks. Front springs are the same from sedan to touring. BTW the pic below is on H&R lowering springs with no spring pads.
    Last edited by LouieD; 08-20-2012 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    E46
    I still CANT! even though I can do everything else
    how long does it take to have full member privileges!?

Louie did you do this conversion? Grey not silver

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/3172204361.html

whats a fair offer on that transmission
    Last edited by AustinK425; 08-20-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Several of us have done 5 speed swaps into tourings and sedans. There are numerous write ups.... it's pretty simple. The pedals are probably the hardest part.

I have no clue what a 6 speed goes for .... but I'd love to have one.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    Several of us have done 5 speed swaps into tourings and sedans. There are numerous write ups.... it's pretty simple. The pedals are probably the hardest part.

I have no clue what a 6 speed goes for .... but I'd love to have one.
    buddy mine mated one these to an m50 said it was easy but he got his for $500from Germany which costed $700 shipped. yeah I will just focus on suspension right now for the time being, bilstein and h&r sports? don't think I can go wrong with the lifetime warranty.

PICS are up haha crappy cell phone gonna take better ones later this week
    Last edited by AustinK425; 08-21-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46
    Well not that anyone cares buuut I found my oil leak! Not that I mentioned it haha Anyways I got of easy it looks like its the crush ring for the oil pan drain plug hopefully the threading isn't stripped. (Fingers Crossed)

Other news can someone tell me what this hose is for?

http://realoem.com/bmw/ could not figure it out on the diagrams on real oem, someone should link me the part number cause i cant seem to figure it out

80% sure its the vapor feed that goes to the charcoal canister. I haven't had and any problems then a mildly erratic MPG that sorted itself out after a nice full tank of gas. so I'm
    guessing this is the culprit. The hose in question is the one leading up in to the air on the right (with gash/slash) in it.
    Last edited by AustinK425; 08-24-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    I have a 21mpg average so your good

H&R sports are good, try to track down a set of touring sports. check out these rear mounts http://mooseheadengineering.com/#ecw...roduct=5697211 tourings like to destroy rear mounts
    Last edited by pennpen; 08-24-2012 at 02:50 PM.

My Cars
    '94 530iA, '93 525itA

That hose connects to #9, which is under the intake manifold at the center.

Welcome to the fun.
    Give Blood, Play Hockey

My Cars
    Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by mi530i View Post

Welcome to the fun.
    It goes from #9 to #11, swap it out with the correct piece from BMW or use FUEL line, don't use the vacuum line or washer line from the auto parts store.

Oh! and Welcome!!!!

My Cars
    '94 530iA, '93 525itA
    #11 is on the wrong end of the intake in that image....just sayin'

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT

E32 manual trans is going to be mated to an M30 IIRC. That won't work in your touring unless you transplant the whole drivetrain including M30 engine. It has been done and described on this forum. The M30 engine is well suited to the touring and its greater torque will make a real difference. I think only real downside to M30 engine is it gets slightly worse fuel economy and needs valve adjustment every 30K miles. The Getrag trans paired with the M30 is very robust and lasts forever if fluids are changed regularly.

If you want to run the M50 or M50TU engine, you will need trans, driveshaft, shifter, and rear diff from an M50 or M50TU donor car. I have the ZF320 trans from an M3 mated to an S52 engine in my touring. I ran it for the past 2 years with the same trans and M50TU engine. These cars are really improved by doing the 5 spd swap even if you keep stock engine. There are some long posts on this forum in the DIY section that you should search for. A lot of good info there.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by mi530i View Post

Welcome to the fun.
    Thanks haha so guess gotta take out my intake to fix this don't I? Seriously what harm is this doing to my car right now? im still drivnng it back and forth from work. 2 mile trip both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpen View Post
    I have a 21mpg average so your good

H&R sports are good, try to track down a set of touring sports. check out these rear mounts http://mooseheadengineering.com/#ecw...roduct=5697211 tourings like to destroy rear mounts
    23 on the highway but this hose issue is really buggin me....... but yeah the back end its pretty tight (as tight as a oil tanker flippin a bitch) but yeah looking for some good suspension stuff, would this be something I should consider buying to go with go with my strut spring combo? Also where do I find (new) touring sports are they H&R? Fyi I have absolutely no interest in coilovers what so ever. hah

Quote Originally Posted by Mark185 View Post
    E32 manual trans is going to be mated to an M30 IIRC. That won't work in your touring unless you transplant the whole drivetrain including M30 engine. It has been done and described on this forum. The M30 engine is well suited to the touring and its greater torque will make a real difference. I think only real downside to M30 engine is it gets slightly worse fuel economy and needs valve adjustment every 30K miles. The Getrag trans paired with the M30 is very robust and lasts forever if fluids are changed regularly.

If you want to run the M50 or M50TU engine, you will need trans, driveshaft, shifter, and rear diff from an M50 or M50TU donor car. I have the ZF320 trans from an M3 mated to an S52 engine in my touring. I ran it for the past 2 years with the same trans and M50TU engine. These cars are really improved by doing the 5 spd swap even if you keep stock engine. There are some long posts on this forum in the DIY section that you should search for. A lot of good info there.
    Yeahs that's what I keep hearing/reading I would relay like to get it done, but its not something I see myself doing for a while until I have done more research into other options and I'm interested E46 6spd (local r3v guy in my area mated one to a M50 I believe)and the 540i 6spd. My current transmission I have now really blows, I don't get any real mileage til third (1:1 correct?)
    and the m50 just doesnt have enough power in 2nd in the wagon.
    Last edited by AustinK425; 08-25-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: ninja edit

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    Nonono. You don't need to remove the intake. You can fit your hand under the intake from the front of the engine. Just connect the under intake end first. Helps to remove the plastic panel that spans the runners so you can see what you're doing. A few shots of carb/brake cleaner before you start will help clean things up while you're at it.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    Nonono. You don't need to remove the intake. You can fit your hand under the intake from the front of the engine. Just connect the under intake end first. Helps to remove the plastic panel that spans the runners so you can see what you're doing. A few shots of carb/brake cleaner before you start will help clean things up while you're at it.
    ok ok haha I was just really worried .The diagram on realoem just doesn't seem to match with what im seeing on the car. I swear the nub that feeds into the hose is attached the cylinder block/head right beneath the coolant hose. So I really freaked out there but what seriously what are the negatives I should be seeing right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast