Thread: VIN Recall check WBSBL93422JR14386

My Cars
    Red 01 330I/Wht 08 528XI

VIN Recall check WBSBL93422JR14386

Is there any awesome BMW Techs out there that have access to BMW’s service logs and would like to tell me if any major recalls have been performed on this 02 M3 VIN WBSBL93422JR14386? Especially, Rod Bearing/SMG/Vanos/Sub frame. I Know I could call the dealership, but I don’t want the bland "there are no recalls open for this vehicle" response!

Thanks!!
    Flyguy

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    None of those were recalls.

FYI:

Type

Value
    VIN WBSBL93422JR14386
    Type code BL93
    Type M3 (USA)
    E series E46 (2)
    Series 3
    Type COUPE
    Steering LL
    Doors 2
    Engine S54
    Displacement 3.20
    Power 252
    Drive HECK
    Transmission MECH
    Colour PHOENIXGELB METALLIC (445)
    Upholstery TEILLEDER W.N./SCHWARZ (N5SW)
    Prod.date 2001-11-20

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
    S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
    S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
    S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
    S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
    S490A LEHNENBREITENVERSTELLUNG Adjuster, backrest width
    S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
    S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
    S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
    S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
    S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
    S640A AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG Preparation f tel.installation universal
    S674A HIFI-SYSTEM HARMAN/KARDON Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
    S692A CD WECHSLER I-BUS VORBEREITUNG Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
    S793A SMG DRIVELOGIC Sequential M transmission Drivelogic
    S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
    S210A DYNAMISCHE STAB. CONTROL (DSC) Dynamic stability control
    S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
    S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Green windscreen, green shade band
    S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
    S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
    S550A BORDCOMPUTER On-board computer
    S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
    S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M sports steering wheel, multifunction
    S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
    S785A WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN White direction indicator lights
    S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
    S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
    S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
    S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment
    Last edited by lmtfi; 08-13-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    There is most certainly a rod bearing recall. The recall affected '01 through '02 cars and the warranty coverage was later extended to '03 cars as a courtesy. I think BMW eventually included the '03 cars in the actual service.

If you take the VIN to a good BMW dealer, they should be able to tell you if the recall has been done.

The SMG updates are software updates and are optional. The updates are part of the voluntary emissions service bulletins -- there are at least 2, but I think only one actual SMG software update version included with both voluntary recalls. Voluntary and if it hasn't been done, a car without it can have it done no charge really easily.

VANOS issues are possible, but not a recall per-se. You'll have to do your own research on that.

If I recall correctly, the subframe thing came out of a lawsuit settlement. You'll have to hit Google for that one.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM3SMG View Post
    There is most certainly a rod bearing recall. The recall affected '01 through '02 cars and the warranty coverage was later extended to '03 cars as a courtesy.

The rod bearing was a BMW Service Action - not a Recall.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
    The rod bearing was a BMW Service Action - not a Recall.
    The effect on the consumer is nearly identical. Ok, so BMW can call it a "service action" because it wasn't ruled a safety issue and the NTSB didn't get involved.
    Symptoms include long-crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the “Service Engine Soon” light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode accompanied by a tone and the illumination of the “Engine Malfunction” light.
    subsequent premature failure if vehicles are driven at higher engine speeds over an extended timeframe. This condition will cause a total engine failure.
    Which one of those sounds like a recall and which sounds like a service action? Now how similar are the end results and which sounds less safe?

BMW's shenanigans with recall vs. service action doesn't change what it is: a recall.

And the OP needs to check to make sure it's been done on the car.
    Last edited by GeorgeM3SMG; 08-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM3SMG View Post
    The effect on the consumer is nearly identical. Ok, so BMW can call it a "service action" because it wasn't ruled a safety issue and the NTSB didn't get involved.
    Which one of those sounds like a recall and which sounds like a service action? Now how similar are the end results and which sounds less safe?

BMW's shenanigans with recall vs. service action doesn't change what it is: a recall.

And the OP needs to check to make sure it's been done on the car.

Except that it wasn't a recall. So when the owner walks into a BMW dealership (as the OP did in this case) and asks if there are outstanding"recall" actions on the car - and the dealer accurately answers the question asked and says "No".

Because the OP asks the wrong question - he doesn't get the right information. Is that what he wants? No.

Words matter. You can recommend that he use the word "recall" - but since there weren't any - he will blissfully walk away thinking he has the information he wants - when in fact he doesn't.

A "recall" is quite different from a Service Action in several ways - not the least of which are that a recall has the force of federal law, a third party is involved (the government) and has regulatory oversight authority, the dealer must apply it, notify owners and must implement it according to the terms agreed to with the government. And under a recall - owners have certain rights and can have expectations as defined in the recall.

A Service Action has NONE of that.

Words do matter when you are trying to get information.
    Last edited by lmtfi; 08-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    Red 01 330I/Wht 08 528XI
    Good points on both ends! I will in the future, use the correct terminology . I did however, get all the in service info i needed from BMW, rod bearing repair was completed (main thing), thank god. I do plan on having the car inspected properly for all other issues. Thanks guys for your inputs!
    Flyguy

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyguyBMW81 View Post
    Good points on both ends! I will in the future, use the correct terminology . I did however, get all the in service info i needed from BMW, rod bearing repair was completed (main thing), thank god. I do plan on having the car inspected properly for all other issues. Thanks guys for your inputs!
    and don't forget the subframe inspection. i know the dealers were doing a curtousy inspection and possible warranty but that expired over a year ago.

make sure they check it.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    None of those were recalls.
    Except that it wasn't a recall. So when the owner walks into a BMW dealership (as the OP did in this case) and asks if there are outstanding"recall" actions on the car - and the dealer accurately answers the question asked and says "No".
    Then, much like your original response, I'd say that dealer is being extremely unhelpful by verbatim adherence to the exact question without regard to what the customer actually wants -- which doesn't take the Amazing Kretzkin to figure out.

Perhaps if your original answer was "Those were service actions and here's what I found so it looks like the critical rod bearing recall wasn't done", I might not have jumped in.

It also appears that the OP did not go to a dealership because he was hoping to avoid the bland response you provided.

OP: I apologize for my apparently critically misleading information that dealers will apparently answer like a hostile witness under cross examination. You need to ask if those service actions have been completed on your car.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    You want to ask for the "warranty vehicle inquiry". That report will give you ALL the work BMW did on the car. Recall, warranty whatever. Any dealership should be able to print it off for whatever VIN you give them. Whether they will print it for you depends on your relationship with the dealer.
    I had an East coast dealer print one for a car I was interested in on the West coast.

My Cars
    Red 01 330I/Wht 08 528XI
    My local BMW dealership printed me off all SIBs completed on the car based on the VIN I provided. He pointed out that the report did show no outstanding recalls. I’m pretty sure everything is legit with car, and droving it today was a blast! I bout broke my neck in first gear. Love this car!!!!!!!
    Flyguy