Thread: Back Window Trim Repair

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster

Back Window Trim Repair

Has anyone repaired something like this? I tried silicone sealer, rubber cement, and trim glue. As soon as I put the top down, the sealant comes off. Any suggestions?

-Allen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BREWDAD55; 08-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.

My Cars
    2001z3 2.5
    Emmm it's new window time... I believe that plastic edging is a part of the window, if it's coming off you need a new window. Not sure anyone has made a repair that glues that back on?

I got my window from a vendor on EBay, OEM. fit well, not terrible to install.

Good luck

Phil

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    + 1 on new window time. Do a search on rear window and read up on it--there are options and install notes.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I guess I'm looking for a new window then. Thanks!

Anywhere other than ebay where I can find it?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    do a search of the forum on "rear window" and you'll get more than enough information--it's a subject that has been thoroughly discussed. Search thread titles, not posts.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 08-10-2012 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Dakar Yellow
    Local autobody shop repaired mine, the top was starting to come out of the tubing. It was a glue of some sort that was applied. They stripped the old adhesive from under the window trim, cleaned it with a wet cloth and some alcohol based cleaner then let it dry. A couple of hours later they had applied the glue and popped the fraying top back in and let it cure overnight. Seems as if it is holding really well. I will try getting the name of the glue they had used.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepZ3 View Post
    Local autobody shop repaired mine, the top was starting to come out of the tubing. It was a glue of some sort that was applied. They stripped the old adhesive from under the window trim, cleaned it with a wet cloth and some alcohol based cleaner then let it dry. A couple of hours later they had applied the glue and popped the fraying top back in and let it cure overnight. Seems as if it is holding really well. I will try getting the name of the glue they had used.
    That's a different situation than the one the OP is facing. That happened to me too and was an easy fix.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    '00 M Roadster
    Here in Charleston there's a guy that does nothing but work on rag tops - turns out that actually does much of the local dealership work right in his own garage. Been doing it for a couple of decades.

May be a guy like that in your town as well, might be worth a yellow pages search.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I got a genuine BMW window from Bimmerzone for less than 1/2 of what the local dealer wanted. It took about 35 mins to install using the write-ups from this forum.

I also had that black trim flopping around. I recommend you replace that window NOW. I let mine go for a bit, and the top started to fray where that trim was missing. That made installing the new window a bit tougher as the top would not sit under the new trim in those areas. There's only a few mm of material to fit under the trim, and it doesn't like to stay put once its fraying apart.

-Todd

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster

Question Mr. Bingley

Can you please post a picture of the EMIATA Window Trim? I am interested in how it compares to the OEM Tirm.

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    If my top was cut, I'd be looking into something like this.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ask and ye shall receive...

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Looks great!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Now my top only goes up a few times a year--for washing the car, for winter storage, and if I get caught in the rain, which doesn't happen very often, as I don't drive it if there is more than a 10% chance of rain, and I park indoors. So, I don't really care so much about the OEM look of the rear window trim--I just want it to keep out the elements when needed and be clear. I have a hard top for late fall and early spring driving, and a speedster cover that makes putting the top up a 10 minute chore in any event. If your car spends time with the top up (like if you park it outside) you may care more about the trim. Kinda like the emiata trim though--I don't like the black rubber bead so much.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. I'm going to go with that window.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Read through this thread: link

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster

Z3Window rear window replacement

Has anyone tried the Z3Window replacement rear window with the rubber trim for @$205? I like the design better than the emiata and the price better than the OEM.