Thread: Accessing vacuum to fuel pressure regulator without removing manifold?

My Cars
    1994 325iC

Accessing vacuum to fuel pressure regulator without removing manifold?

I'm trying to check & replace the vacuum line that goes to my fuel pressure regulator, on a hint that it could be causing other problems my car is having.

However, in an attempt to access it, I find myself unable to touch it with a finger, let alone pull it off & replace it.

Here's a photo of what I'm looking at:

The vacuum line I'm attempting to check & replace is #11 on this RealOEM parts screen.

Is there a way to remove the big "tray" hanging down over the engine easily? I only need it to move a few inches:

Surely there's a way to access this line without removing the entire manifold, isn't there?

Thanks!

PS: It's a 1994 325iC.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Pop off the vent grilles, there are two? screws that hold the wire harness box.
    If that's not enough room, remove the vent cowling (two? screws on each side, and sticky stuff holding the rest).
    I remember removing the cowling - do it. This rids half of the frustration.

I used a coat hanger to feed the new hose. Had one of my kids attach the hose ends.
    It's easier in the dark with a good small flashlight, and small mirror.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    Pop off the vent grilles, there are two? screws that hold the wire harness box.
    If that's not enough room, remove the vent cowling (two? screws on each side, and sticky stuff holding the rest).
    I remember removing the cowling - do it. This rids half of the frustration.

I used a coat hanger to feed the new hose. Had one of my kids attach the hose ends.
    It's easier in the dark with a good small flashlight, and small mirror.
    So the grilles just pop off?

I have a hesitation about tugging on plastic bits as I've found this car to be riddled with plastic tabs that just love to break under the slightest amount of pressure.

Edit: Do I also need to remove the wipers?
    Last edited by dataxpress; 08-09-2012 at 04:12 AM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by dataxpress View Post
    So the grilles just pop off?

I have a hesitation about tugging on plastic bits as I've found this car to be riddled with plastic tabs that just love to break under the slightest amount of pressure.

Edit: Do I also need to remove the wipers?
    There's one or two finger tabs on each grille.
    I forget where, but they are visible around one of the edges.

Edit: you Do Not have to remove the wipers.
    And the "cowling" screws are on the engine bay's firewall.
    This cowling is what the wire harness box is screwed onto.
    Hope that helps more.
    Last edited by epmedia; 08-09-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    There's one or two finger tabs on each grille.
    I forget where, but they are visible around one of the edges.
    On my grille it looks like one big plastic piece that stretches from the driver side to the passenger side, with three plastic flat "screws" on either end of it. Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot?

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    On my grille it looks like one big plastic piece that stretches from the driver side to the passenger side, with three plastic flat "screws" on either end of it. Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot?
    Oh gosh, I think you're correct, I was thinking of a different setup.
    I think there may still be two or more finger tabs, so watch out for those.
    It is the plastic grille under the wipers I was referring to.
    Last edited by epmedia; 08-09-2012 at 04:25 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Oh gosh, I think you're correct, I was thinking of a different setup.
    I think there may still be two or more finger tabs, so watch out for those.
    It is the plastic grille under the wipers I was referring to.
    This is the plastic grille under the wipers! Looks like it comes off with 6 plastic screws + removing both wipers.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    This is the plastic grille under the wipers! Looks like it comes off with 6 plastic screws + removing both wipers.
    Woa - looking at your pic, that is way different than the '94 325i.

Well, if that's what it takes it may still be easier than removing the intake manifold?

You will still need small hands or be very creative.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Woa - looking at your pic, that is way different than the '94 325i.

Well, if that's what it takes it may still be easier than removing the intake manifold?

You will still need small hands or be very creative.
    Ah. I've found two screws accessible via the vent holes that release the box being held below the cowl in the middle:

Update: "This guy" is a box chock full of wires. Removing the screws only let me move the box forward a few inches (and more in the way).

Past self: If you're reading this... Don't remove those screws. They won't help you. You will only have sadness.

Further update: Got the hose off, but, it's brittle as hell and about 1/4" of the hose is still around the nipple on the FPR. Trying hard to get it off but I don't want to break it and have a piece of rubber fall into the unknown. If I cut it and it falls straight down, will there be problems?

Even further update: It seems the old brittle hose is also stuck on the nipple of the bottom of the intake manifold, and refuses to come off. Anybody have any tricks for getting these fuckers off in such tight space?
    Last edited by dataxpress; 08-09-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    I find it takes a little longer but not as frustrating to remove the fuel rail, the reason being if the vacuum hose is that bad, it's good practice to change the short piece of fuel hose from the regulator. Regarding the removal of the vacuum hose under the manifold, remove the throttle body to give more room to reach under there and twist it with you finger tips. Consider changing out all of your fuel hoses and filter in those areas while it's apart. Use hose rated for high pressure fuel injection.

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by motion View Post
    I find it takes a little longer but not as frustrating to remove the fuel rail, the reason being if the vacuum hose is that bad, it's good practice to change the short piece of fuel hose from the regulator. Regarding the removal of the vacuum hose under the manifold, remove the throttle body to give more room to reach under there and twist it with you finger tips. Consider changing out all of your fuel hoses and filter in those areas while it's apart. Use hose rated for high pressure fuel injection.
    I actually finally got it a few minutes ago, by chipping away at the remaining bits of hoses with a screwdriver and my fingertips.

Here's the approximate schedule of how long it took me to replace that hose:
    1 hr: trying to dismantle the upper section above the manifold (wiring harness + wipers)
    1 hr: figuring out how to fit my hand around the FPR
    15 min: removing intake tract up to and including the elbow
    5 mins: pulling off old hose and leaving broken pieces on both the FPR nipple and the manifold nipple
    2 hrs: slowly chipping away at the pieces left on both nipples
    5 mins: installing new vacuum
    25 mins: victory drive around town

My Cars
    -02 530i
    Oh, you got it to work? Congratulations!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Did that fix your problem? I ve bee telling people about that hose for a long time.

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    I actually finally got it a few minutes ago, by chipping away at the remaining bits of hoses with a screwdriver and my fingertips.

Here's the approximate schedule of how long it took me to replace that hose:
    1 hr: trying to dismantle the upper section above the manifold (wiring harness + wipers)
    1 hr: figuring out how to fit my hand around the FPR
    15 min: removing intake tract up to and including the elbow
    5 mins: pulling off old hose and leaving broken pieces on both the FPR nipple and the manifold nipple
    2 hrs: slowly chipping away at the pieces left on both nipples
    5 mins: installing new vacuum
    25 mins: victory drive around town
    Sounds like a character builder.

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by motion View Post
    Sounds like a character builder.
    HAHAHA Yes! Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Did that fix your problem? I ve bee telling people about that hose for a long time.
    I'm not sure if it caused the problem. I have to get an emissions test to find out.

Related question: My car backfires* for just a moment as soon as I let off the throttle while in-gear. It also does it at idle when cold but not when warm. Is this normal or is it indicative of a problem?

*By "backfires" i mean it makes a very distinct exhaust tone - a deep booming that sounds like a very low subwoofer. It has a stock exhaust. Is this a backfire ("afterfire"?) or some other phenomenon? If I put my hand behind the tailpipe (I don't recommend this) there's a very strong puff of air that goes along with the tone.
    Last edited by dataxpress; 08-09-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Sorry about those two screws.
    Removal of those was first step to remove the cowling to give you more room to work with that hose.
    I'm surprised you could get your hand in there!

Glad you got it done.
    Did it seem that working in the dark for this hose helped?
    Tbd

My Cars
    1994 325iC
    Sorry about those two screws.
    Removal of those was first step to remove the cowling to give you more room to work with that hose.
    I'm surprised you could get your hand in there!

Glad you got it done.
    Did it seem that working in the dark for this hose helped?
    Oh. I was too scared to unplug all of the wires so I just put the tray back in place. It actually wasn't as bad to put back as I had thought it might be. Not too sure how working in the dark would help, I could see the line fine with my work light on it.

I really only had to remove the elbow boot, MAF, and air box to do it - namely just to get the manifold end of the hose. I connected the FPR end of the hose first, then pushed it down around the back of the manifold and hunted for it with my other hand under the manifold.

Here's the old hose, which did this after being only slightly bent. If replacing this didn't fix SOMETHING... I'd be surprised.

This is the manifold with the piece of hose on it: (Upon looking at this photo, it looks like this connector comes off some how, but it's too late for that...)

Here it is with the bastard old hose extracted:

Anyway, I still have that backfiring issue mentioned a few posts up, but I'm thinking maybe that it's related to the ICV (since it only occurs when the pedal is all the way up). Unless it's normal.

My Cars
    1993 325i

The other end is under the intake?

Mine fell off the hose fell in back.
    If you completely remove the fuel rail how do you get the fuel hose back on with that wire box in the way.
    did you remove the throttle body to reach under the manifold.
    I was going to buy a new bmw but it is off the list.
    there is more wires coming from underneath that box so how can it move out of the way.

How much will a dealer charge to replace that vacuum line?
    the whole thing seems insane.

Ah. I've found two screws accessible via the vent holes that release the box being held below the cowl in the middle:

Update: "This guy" is a box chock full of wires. Removing the screws only let me move the box forward a few inches (and more in the way).

Past self: If you're reading this... Don't remove those screws. They won't help you. You will only have sadness.

Further update: Got the hose off, but, it's brittle as hell and about 1/4" of the hose is still around the nipple on the FPR. Trying hard to get it off but I don't want to break it and have a piece of rubber fall into the unknown. If I cut it and it falls straight down, will there be problems?

Even further update: It seems the old brittle hose is also stuck on the nipple of the bottom of the intake manifold, and refuses to come off. Anybody have any tricks for getting these fuckers off in such tight space?