Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really hate BMW right now...

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5

Do I really hate BMW right now...

And all the plastic crap they use for the cooling system

Replacing the 2 plastic engine hoses has been a pain... aside from all the time I've spent searching for the huge leak...

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    Good Lord, which hoses were you replacing?

Other cars that don't matter, and then..
    '01 530i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather(My 1st love)
    '02 540i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather (German bitch)
    '06 330i Sport/Comfort (Sweetness!)
    '08 535i/6 Sport/Premium/Comfort/Nav ()
    '99 528i Sport Touring (Repaired the Previous owners garbage and let her go)
    '02 525iT Premium/Nav/Cold Weather/Alpine/Supercherry
    '90 325i e30 sedan schwarz (1st e30 project!)
    '90 325is e30
    '06 X5 4.4
    '04 325i Sport
    '04 330ci
    '89 325IX 31k Original Miles!
    '04 330i e46 coupe
    '08 550i Sport
    '13 535i Sport
    '13 328i Luxury
    '88 e30 Stroker

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    The 2 plastic hoses that run on the side of the engine under the Intake manifold It's impossible to get to them without dismantling half the engine...

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Do both of them plug into the block behind the water pump? Where were they leaking? At the O-ring end? Looks like this is a job that begs you to also replace the manifold gaskets, CCV, etc. "while you're there."

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Yes... one plugs behind the thermostat and the other behind the water pump housing... I don't know exactly where they where leaking... but the plastic was so deteriorated it was left stuck inside the holes and looked like a poor job at a seal attempt (looked exactly like hardened sealant)

Sad thing is... I replaced the CCV a year ago without removing the intake... and it was a bitch to do it... and this is going to be the second time I replace the oil filter housing gasket... and the thermostat seal...

My Cars
    destiny
    damn now that is a tear down
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Damn, the I6 engines sure do have a lot of plastic parts in some hard-to-reach places! I really wish BMW would have put in a quick-connector or a separate harness for the transmission wiring, it'd be 1000 times easier to remove our intakes!

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    Yes... one plugs behind the thermostat and the other behind the water pump housing... I don't know exactly where they where leaking... but the plastic was so deteriorated it was left stuck inside the holes and looked like a poor job at a seal attempt (looked exactly like hardened sealant) ..l...
    My car has the same plastic pipes but I think these were metal on the earlier six-cyl. e39s. Bummer. Mine are probably time bombs by now, so I think this is yet another preventive job I'll have to just dive into and gain some peace of mind.... And of all the water pipes and hoses, wouldn't you know these two are the most expensive....

My Cars
    '02 525iT, '91 535
    Cricket that's a lot if work. If you don't mind, please link to a diagram on realoem to show us which hoses.

PS: Careful with the F connector for the two vacuum hoses on your intake boot.
    Mine snapped like a crayon when I was replacing the alternator.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Last edited by SwiftSmooth528; 08-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    I'm doing the exact job have been working on it today/tomorrow.
    but u took way too much off lol
    all I did was remove a manifold nuts, 16mm nut at bottom, and dissconect all electrical sensors up front

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    You can't reach the front nut with a ratchet if you leave the oil filter housing on... and considering how half the tube end was left in the engine, I had to flush out all the debris with a hose after I had to chisel it with a flat head screwdriver...

My Cars
    97 528IA
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT
    Yes... one plugs behind the thermostat and the other behind the water pump housing... I don't know exactly where they where leaking... but the plastic was so deteriorated it was left stuck inside the holes and looked like a poor job at a seal attempt (looked exactly like hardened sealant)

Sad thing is... I replaced the CCV a year ago without removing the intake... and it was a bitch to do it... and this is going to be the second time I replace the oil filter housing gasket... and the thermostat seal...
    I would rather remove the intake manifold so much easier.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos1212 View Post
    all I did was remove a manifold nuts, 16mm nut at bottom, and dissconect all electrical sensors up front
    I would appreciate any pics of this job if you are talking about an M52TU or M54 engine.

Some say it's do-able without removing the manifold but I don't see how I would be able to get to those pipes, let alone work on them, without removing the alternator, OFH, and intake manifold. Also, the ends of these pipes apparently just break off in the block when you try to remove them, leaving the extra work of cleaning all that frozen, corroded plastic crap out. Gotta have room to do the job.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    The heater pipe situation is insane. I have a small leak that lets a couple drops of coolant drip down on the steering rack every time it's driven and the heater pipe is the most likely culprit.

Very bad design; that rubber/plastic just cooks in there. Just plain stupid. There should be threaded metal tubes or some other system at the connection points so the job doesn't have to be such a PITA. Those pipes should be attached with clamps.

Somebody like Turner Motorsports should've made an aftermarket improvement on this by now. Anybody know?

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    it could be worse, you could have a 6 inch water pump bolt snap 5 inches into the lower timing cover case requiring you to remove jesus bolt on 540I (my problem, quietly sobbing)

My Cars
    97 528i 99 996 Carrera 05 530i
    Yes, they are metal on the early e39 sixes. Mine is a 10/96 build date, with 307,000 miles and never replaced those hoses. Cool pic, I admire your perseverance.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    it could be worse, you could have a 6 inch water pump bolt snap 5 inches into the lower timing cover case requiring you to remove jesus bolt on 540I (my problem, quietly sobbing)
    Sorry to hear about that, but really, when one is in the midst of a problem like LuisGT, does it ever help them for someone else to chime in and say, "Hey, it could be worse, for instance like MY problem"?

No... it never helps them.

For instance, if you created a thread to talk about your problem and somebody posted, "Hey, it could be worse, your car could have been hit by a crazy bank robber fleeing in Kia Spectra and both cars exploded and burned to the ground (my problem, quietly sobbing), would that be helpful?

Last edited by SwiftSmooth528; 08-07-2012 at 08:47 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Really... just how much plastic does this car have... I was in the middle or reassembling the intake manifold just to find the suction pump broke in half perfectly at the seam Should have had this done by today as I start classes again tommorow

Seriously... I've never had so much go wrong in the 4 years I've had the car... guess driving close to 6K miles in a month and a half was a bit much for the poor girl... and this is just the tip of the iceberg with all the other, less important at the moment, crap I have to fix/replace

Quote Originally Posted by carlos1212 View Post

I don't know how you're gonna do it without removing the OFH... The OFH is completely in the way of the lines

Last edited by LuisGT; 08-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    LuisGT, I appreciate these pics. No consolation to the hell you are going through right now. On the brighter side, you will have renewed trust in your ride once done.

Did the new O-rings require any kind of lubrication other than coolant? When I eventually do this job, I'll probably be worried about breaking the new plastic too.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Surprisingly, it is quite easy to install the pipes, I used very little force and just a bit of water on the O rings. The pipes come with a dual O ring setup ( the old ones broke at the second O ring section, so basically all of the pipe that gets inserted broke in the engine )

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Coolant overhaul on M54 is such an easy task ... looks like not for everyone

I remember when i replaced my Intake manifold i spent full week on this crap

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1376457

GL !
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-07-2012 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Get a Honda - problem solved.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    Coolant overhaul on M54 is such an easy task ... looks like not for everyone

I remember when i replaced my Intake manifold i spent full week on this crap

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1376457

GL !
    So, you replaced these plastic pipes...?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    no

i think the OP will be the first one to replace them on M54

normally they never fail :
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-07-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast