Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E31 Oil Temp and Pressure at MID ( routing cables.. )

My Cars
    850iA - 1990

E31 Oil Temp and Pressure at MID

Hi.

I am in the process of installing a Gert ( rv8flyboy ) box for the E31 :

and have a question about routing a set of cables from the oil filter housing to the cockpit....

The logical path should be through the fuse/relais box... but i do not want to disturb the electrical gremlins... and have not seen an easy alternative...

The idea is to use a "T" like this... ( or something similar )

and connect the original oil pressure switch , plus a temp and pressure sensors...

I will check all of this stuff without routing the cable to the cockpit ( everything connected at the engine compartment and a single cable to the IBus ) , but if it works , routing will be needed.

Any feedback will be welcome.

Regards.

Eduardo.
    Last edited by dudu850; 10-15-2012 at 08:06 AM.

My Cars
    95 240SX SE, 95 E31 840
    do not use brass to make your connections, only use steel or use aluminum on a remote mounting.
    brass will fatigue and can possibly crack/break off...last thing you want is a rattled out motor.

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Hi.

Just connected to the IBus to check how it works.. The are some small issues that will be fixed ( for example wrong characters ( u,s and r )... ) , but looks promising.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-lm9JXbTo0[/ame]

Pressure and temperature are not real... as the sensors has been emulated with a couple resistors... Now routing all cables and moving the box to a location where it can be easily disconnected ( for ROM updates ).

Will update and provide details about connection to the MID ( Ibus = white/gray with yellow stripes cable , power and ground, from radio )

Cheers.

PS: BlackBox Tuning... thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by dudu850; 08-09-2012 at 03:26 AM.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Hi Eduardo,

where did you purchase this box?
    Could be a nice update for my baby once the M73 is installed.

Cheers
    Wolf

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Now thats some sweet stuff. Might have to look into that

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    http://store.bimmerworld.com/oil-dis...ock-p1250.aspx

Yes, route the wires through the rubber grommet underneath the fuse box which is made for this purpose.

Please keep us posted! Where do we go for purchase information?
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Hi guys.

First , thanks for the link to the distribution/sending block.
    I will send an email to the box creator about this post.

Cheers.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990
    well, I guess before I go really commercial, there are some obvious kinks to be worked out.

I got it pretty much working for E32/E34 based clusters. In my car I display engine oil and temp, diff temp, tranny temp, EGS I/O signals, and am currenty installing dual manifold pressure gauges and fuel pressure gauges (sender placement driving me up the wall, no space....)

Main problem is not actually having a E31 based car to work on, ha, don't even have a MID, so have no ability to sniff the packets and see/cause responses. I can only go by documentation that was provided to me on the protocol.

I guess we'll see a few programmed chips fly across the pond before problems are solved enough

My Cars
    '94 BMW 850 CiA
    Might help to put your page up as well http://interfaces4beemers.weebly.com...r-display.html

I'd love to participate in a beta test of some sort if you need anyone!
    Current Cars:
    1994 BMW 850 CiA (2017 km). My black on black Wokke'd 5.4l V12 autobahnmuncher
    1992 Donkervoort S8AT (105k km). The mad dutch "Super 7." 300hp/ton of turbo power!
    2013 VW Caravelle 4Motion (57k km). A dark wine red 180PS/400Nm 2.0 BiTDI rocketvan
    2007 SMC F-Kart 50. 88cc of street legal go-kart hilarity, and a 1968 Cadillac Coupé DeVille Convertible 472.

"The best way to go broke-by-german-car is to buy an 8 series bmw with a v12" - Perc
    "Torque is like pron. You can't really define it, but you will recognize it." - ElToro

My Cars
    BMW 850
    any news on this?

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    any news on this?
    Yes, some minor issues have been fixed after first revision ( characters and degree symbol ) and another chip should be flying to Madrid with latest updates ( expected to be the final one ).

Will update.

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    and, latest updates...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObXWyjwIWVE[/ame]

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Finally ( and after reading information at some german E32 and E38 forums ) i got a modified oil filter cap and installed the pressure and temp sensor on it...

cables have been routed following Bryson recommendation.
    Last edited by dudu850; 10-13-2012 at 04:46 AM.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8flyboy View Post
    well, I guess before I go really commercial, there are some obvious kinks to be worked out.

I got it pretty much working for E32/E34 based clusters. In my car I display engine oil and temp, diff temp, tranny temp, EGS I/O signals, and am currenty installing dual manifold pressure gauges and fuel pressure gauges (sender placement driving me up the wall, no space....)

Main problem is not actually having a E31 based car to work on, ha, don't even have a MID, so have no ability to sniff the packets and see/cause responses. I can only go by documentation that was provided to me on the protocol.

I guess we'll see a few programmed chips fly across the pond before problems are solved enough
    I'd really like one of these to monitor fuel and oil pressure, are they available yet? I can test on my car if you need anymore info.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by dudu850 View Post
    Finally ( and after reading information at some german E32 and E38 forums ) i got a modified oil filter cap and installed the pressure and temp sensor on it...

What is the procedure for changing the oil filter? Looks like you don't have the room to unscrew the filter housing cap.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    What is the procedure for changing the oil filter? Looks like you don't have the room to unscrew the filter housing cap.
    Easy, just unplug the temp and pressure cabling, and unscrew the oil pressure sensor... ( it is a M12x1.5 with a copper ring for sealing )

Last edited by dudu850; 10-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Now thats badass!!!

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Just added a on/off switch ... and worked at the A/C switches ( following revtor post about matching lights at the center console.. ) ... and here we go...

Link to revtor article..

http://e31wiki.org/wiki/HVAC_control...n_illumination
    Last edited by dudu850; 10-15-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Any update?

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Sure !!!

We are now working on refreshing the data every second or two seconds instead of the previous config ( 4 seconds ). The sensor worked perfectly when we ran at the Jarama circuit and no issues with it.

I will post some videos when the new ROMs had been received and installed.

Edu.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    So tell me one thing my friend.
    Where can I get this mechanism?

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Contact rv8flyboy for details...

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Couple short videos taken yesterday...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSfbUdcfWU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHAvvBZyGFs[/ame]

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by dudu850 View Post

I quite honestly don't like the idea of having the sensor bolted into the filter housing cap. Especially since a lot of filter housings have a plastic cap.
    Wouldn't it be possible to use the original oil pressure switch location, eventually using a hose as an extension and re-locate the sensor somewhere in the vicinity?

But other than that I'm very impressed with the result.

My Cars
    850iA - 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible to use the original oil pressure switch location, eventually using a hose as an extension and re-locate the sensor somewhere in the vicinity?

But other than that I'm very impressed with the result.
    Hi Wolf.

Yes, i thought about that approach when installed the temp and pressure sensors, but finally, i got this new filter cap due to the "wow" visual effect... .

Nowadays i have some doubts about this, as the oil temp i get is the one at the oil filter cap ( tested with a digital termometer and it match with the one at the MID ... ), and it is slightly lower than the oil temp at the oil sump ( aprox.. 5 ºC ).

Anyway, for me it is an ended project, as there are some other things to work around ( e.g... swapping from 3.15 to a 3.45 diff ... )

Cheers.
    Last edited by dudu850; 12-30-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast