Thread: cluster and mid pixels fixed!

My Cars
    2003 525i

Thumbs up cluster and mid pixels fixed!

Had them done by Chris of German Auto Tech at Long Beach yesterday. Offered a good price for both so might as well. Pixel issue not that bad but annoying all the same. Did the removal and reinstallation myself so I guess that saved some time. Said the LCD panels are both messed up as well so LCDs and ribbon cables replaced.

Total wait time: 1hr45min

Waiting area: building lounge(beautiful view of the beach)

Seems to be a stand-up guy and pleasant to deal with.

Initial impressions:
    All pixels back to working order. The mid panel seems noticeably brighter too especially at night.(yes, the dimmer still works but it's brighter in a good way)
    Very happy customer!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    nicee, what did they charge? Im in LB area as well. I usually go to bullet performance in costa mesa but good to know theres another legit place around here

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Since I had both done at the same time, I got them fixed for $200. If only the cluster or the mid, it's $150.

Haven't been to BP since it's far from me.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    but you did the removal and installation yourself? How easy was that?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA Msport
    Wow, that's cheaper than the bimmersonly shop in Fremont. Does he allow you to send it into him since I'm in Nor Cal?

The Fremont shop is advertising ~$230 and you have to send the cluster into them yourself. I'm currently talking to BMWNA about getting financial assistance to get mine replaced by the dealer. Where I take it will depend on how much of it BMWNA will pay for.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    I heard they do good work & the next time I'm in the area maybe I will swing by & get this done to my cluster.

What is the name & phone number of this shop in Fremont & who should I ask for... ? I work at the TESLA plant in Fremont so I could kill 2 birds with one stone possibly...

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    I heard they do good work & the next time I'm in the area maybe I will swing by & get this done to my cluster.

What is the name & phone number of this shop in Fremont & who should I ask for... ? I work at the TESLA plant in Fremont so I could kill 2 birds with one stone possibly...
    I love Tesla! I'm about to put my reservation in on a Model S.

I was going to buy a 2008 Audi S8 until I remembered a few months ago that the Model S was about to launch. The e39 is to hold me over until I get my Model S Performance in late 2013/early 2014 (I'm hoping they will add an AWD option in 2013 or 2014)

Here is the info for the cluster repair shop:
    bimmeronly.com
    41911 Albrae St
    Fremont, CA. 94538
    Phone: 510-214-3813

My Cars
    92 525it, 97 540/6
    +1 for German Audio Tech. I mailed my cluster to them on Monday and had it back on Saturday. It cost 150.00 + 32.00 shipping.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by kmp View Post
    +1 for German Audio Tech. I mailed my cluster to them on Monday and had it back on Saturday. It cost 150.00 + 32.00 shipping.
    Good to hear there is an even less expensive and reputable place to send the cluster if BMWNA does not come through.

But is is German Auto Tech or German Audio Tech? And I can't find them in long beach using google maps? Do they have a web site or phone number?

Thanks,

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    I have ribbons for the MID and cluster and could loan you the tool if you wanted to try a DIY repair. I often commute Oakland to Santa Clara, driving by the Telsa plant.

It's a bit tedious to do the repair but not really difficult. The key is getting the right light angle so that you can see if you have aligned the flexible circuit to the LCD glass.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Sorry just got back from work.

@marky227
    Yes, removed and reinstalled myself while parked. It's not hard provided you have the right tools, like a philips screwdriver and a torque screw(forgot size). There's a youtube video detailing the removal process. e39 cluster removal. The mid panel is easy. Just a quarter turn counterclockwise? to release the lock. Be careful with this as you can go overboard and break the lock.

@Modest,
    Yes, you can mail it to him, just use a bigger box than the cluster size to keep it from being crushed just in case.

My bad, you're correct on the name. Audio instead of Auto.

Search for GAT on ebay and the phone number is there.

@kmp,
    Good to know I'm not the only one.

@djb,
    Was planning to do the repair until I read how holes have to be made and how small the circuit is and chickened out hehe.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA Msport

Searched eBay for GAW

No Luck. Found a bunch of other shops in Cali though, including the Fremont one that does it for $169 on eBay.

Could you post the link to the eBay listing that does it for $150?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Searched GAT on google and found it.

http://stores.ebay.com/German-Audio-Tech

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA Msport

Doh!

I guess it would have helped to search for the right term.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    word.. hes on pine right? Do you have his # or email info? Thanks for the video tip i checked it out and looks beyond simple...

My Cars
    '01 & '02 E39 Sports
    I used VDO Repair out there in Ca. It came out great and has a lifetime warranty. Cost is $179. BUT, IF YOU SEND IN ANOTHER MID, THEY WILL KEEP IT AND GIVE YOU A $45. CREDIT, I sent in two MIDs with very bad pixels and had mine fixed for $105. total with shipping included. Good Deal, I thought.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Give him a call at (562)743-5207. He can remove and reinstall the cluster for you if you prefer.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    that vid was pretty straight forward.. i only need the cluster pixels fixed cuz i have a dyavin head unit. But i cant read any of the obc stuff so its just annoying. Ill hit him up thanks for the # man.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    No problem. Glad to help!

My Cars
    540i/6
    Not to thread jack, but I repair the MID units on Ebay under Bavarian Audio for $99