Thread: M5 bumper question

My Cars
    1994 bmw e31

M5 bumper question

Quick question for you guys, I bought m5 bumper for my 99 540 and about to send them for paint, well after speaking to my neighbor that own the same car told me I need the impact support I think that's what it's called to be able to install the bumper.

Do I have to buy the (impact support) or I can use the stock one off the 540.

Thank you guys.

My Cars
    12 S5 / 83 911sc
    No you do not simple swap, I would recommend a pre-fit prior of paint depending which brand
    Last edited by Roman Empire; 07-19-2012 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    1994 bmw e31
    Thanks man , I will .do you know a good place to buy the inner fender from an m5 as far as I know those need to be replaced..

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsbmwe31 View Post
    Thanks man , I will .do you know a good place to buy the inner fender from an m5 as far as I know those need to be replaced..
    This may be helpful if you have questions about install. It is one of the better DIYs with pictures. It may not show every little detail, but it is pretty good.
    http://www.540isport.com/DIY/M5front...umperparts.htm

Also regarding the fender liners. A lot of people have done the conversion without changing them so you don't have to. But the fitment between the bumper and fender liner will be better with the M style ones. It sounds like you might have a sourced of used parts, but if you are getting new fender liners there are the M5 versions and the M tech versions. The M tech versions have cut outs for directing air back to the brakes. Prob not a big deal unless you are tracking the car and even then they will not be as good as true racing style brake vents.

You can really make the conversion as involved and as expensive as you want. It is up to you. But just in case you are unaware there are some other M5/M tech specific parts. There is an M specific belly pan (lower engine cover) and pork chops (metal silver pieces referred to as air brake channels in the above link). You can also order an M specific font air duct or trim the existing one (see above diy).

There are a bunch of really good write ups and parts lists on the forums if you are interested in all the little M5/Mtech specific bits. I will warn you though it can get complex. If you want more info or have trouble finding info with searches, let me know I did a ton of research before my conversion.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    01 540iT
    Does anyone know the specific fasteners (clips/screws) part numbers for fastening the M5 fender liners to the bottom of the bumper? There are 4 on each side.

http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/ is a good place for parts. They are a vendor here and they usually have the best prices.

BTW, I just swapped mine earlier this week. I am only replacing the fender liners. The 540 belly pan and pork chops seems to suffice.
    Pretty straightforward installation until I decided to keep my headlight washers and that was a headache rotoziping the cutout so the washer piece fits and locks in place. If I could do over I would just delete them.
    Last edited by yersole; 07-19-2012 at 11:39 PM.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by yersole View Post
    Does anyone know the specific fasteners (clips/screws) part numbers for fastening the M5 fender liners to the bottom of the bumper? There are 4 on each side.

http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/ is a good place for parts. They are a vendor here and they usually have the best prices.

BTW, I just swapped mine earlier this week. I am only replacing the fender liners. The 540 belly pan and pork chops seems to suffice.
    Pretty straightforward installation until I decided to keep my headlight washers and that was a headache rotoziping the cutout so the washer piece fits and locks in place. If I could do over I would just delete them.
    Regarding the fasteners check out this post I think those are the ones you need. There are part #s and pics of the fasteners. Let me know if you are in Western MA near the NY border. I can check and see I think I may have some extra screws and clips.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=7

Yeah you can definitely make it work with non M parts, there just may be some gaps. Also the M pork chops are helpful if you are going with the M bellypan as they are one of mounting points supporting M bellypan. And if the brake ducting is important to you they serve as rear section of the air channel and line up with the vent cutout in the M tech fender liners.

Next time you are under there snap a pic of how the 540 bellypan meets the M bumper. I am curious as to how it lines up. Also you will probably know more once you mount the M fender liners, but you may have to trim the 540 belly pan with the M liners.

Regarding the cutouts this is more for future people reading this as this does you no good. They do make versions of the bumper with and without headlight washer cutouts, at least with OEM bumpers. I am not sure about the reps though.

I am guessing people are going to be using furious method to check prices. But I do want to give a shout out to http://www.getbmwparts.com/ they are extremely helpful, respond quickly to questions and their prices are usually pretty hard to beat (sometimes others have lower prices depending on the part though).
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

My Cars
    01 540iT
    Here's another thread I found - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1804767 and I believe these are the right ones (or at least they should work). Will head to the dealership tomorrow to get them since I need to get the fender liners in asap.

Sure I will take pictures on the fitment of the 540 belly pan with the M bumper and M fender liners. Plan to work on it tomorrow as I am working from home .

No headlight washer cutouts nor PDC on aftermarket M bumpers. For PDC, rotoziping the bumper is easy as you simply need a big enough hole for the sensor to pass through (the locking mechanism is on the impact strip) and it will be hidden behind the impact strips. I did buy OEM impact strips with PDC though. Well I bought my aftermarket bumper kit from Bavauto up in NH and had them price match to umnitza so I can pickup and save on shipping. They also sent me the OEM PDC impact strips included in that price.

Last edited by yersole; 07-20-2012 at 01:14 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M5
    Solo is correct about the fasteners.
    But I don't recommend to use them because the are expensive.
    I was quoted $8 each from the dealer (I'm sure they would be cheaper in the US). I just bought panel clips with the correspoding screws from a hardware store.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by yersole View Post
    Here's another thread I found - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1804767 and I believe these are the right ones (or at least they should work). Will head to the dealership tomorrow to get them since I need to get the fender liners in asap.
    51-71-8-218-852 & 51-71-8-218-323 are the same screws only 852 is slightly longer. They are used for the bellypan and fender liners. I think you are supposed to use 2 or 3 of the longer ones and the rest are shorter ones. I don't remember where the longer ones go though or if it is really necessary.

If you look at that link I posted earlier there are pics of the two screws as well as the clips. You may want to get the circlips too I mentioned in that post as it might make installing the screws easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mech9t8 View Post
    Solo is correct about the fasteners.
    But I don't recommend to use them because the are expensive.
    I was quoted $8 each from the dealer (I'm sure they would be cheaper in the US). I just bought panel clips with the correspoding screws from a hardware store.
    I remember you posting about that. I still can't believe your local dealer marked them up that much since the MSRP is $3.21. Which is still a little expensive for screws.
    Last edited by Solo12; 07-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    01 540iT
    Dealer gave me these 07129925731 (body nut) and 07119901299 (hex head screw), and the liners went on fine.

Pic of 540 belly pan with M bumper and fender liners.

I didn't buy any parts at all when I replaced my front and rear bumpers, it was a straight swap and everything fit perfect.

My Cars
    15 328xi
    I just bought expanding rivets to replace the ones I broke while trying to separate the bumper from the reinforcement bar. They were like .30 cents each.

My Cars
    1994 bmw e31
    Thanks guy, this helps alot parts are going for paint on Monday hope to get them by the end of the week and put them on and will post pics then, and hope to buy my bbs lm nextvweek lol.

Thank man very helpful , and I will keep you posted.

QUOTE=Solo12;24743348]This may be helpful if you have questions about install. It is one of the better DIYs with pictures. It may not show every little detail, but it is pretty good.
    http://www.540isport.com/DIY/M5front...umperparts.htm

Also regarding the fender liners. A lot of people have done the conversion without changing them so you don't have to. But the fitment between the bumper and fender liner will be better with the M style ones. It sounds like you might have a sourced of used parts, but if you are getting new fender liners there are the M5 versions and the M tech versions. The M tech versions have cut outs for directing air back to the brakes. Prob not a big deal unless you are tracking the car and even then they will not be as good as true racing style brake vents.

You can really make the conversion as involved and as expensive as you want. It is up to you. But just in case you are unaware there are some other M5/M tech specific parts. There is an M specific belly pan (lower engine cover) and pork chops (metal silver pieces referred to as air brake channels in the above link). You can also order an M specific font air duct or trim the existing one (see above diy).

There are a bunch of really good write ups and parts lists on the forums if you are interested in all the little M5/Mtech specific bits. I will warn you though it can get complex. If you want more info or have trouble finding info with searches, let me know I did a ton of research before my conversion.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by paulsbmwe31; 07-21-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost