Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: oil consumption, has it happened to your bimmer?

My Cars
    oil burner and gas drinker

Question oil consumption, has it happened to your bimmer?

That's a second time it happened,

when I turned off the car, the YELLOW oil light came on...

When the light showed up the first time, it took me a while to realize that the car was trying to "tell" me something.

After a week of driving with the light coming on after shutting the car off, I finally checked the oil; it seemed low, so I added a half quart.

Now, the light is back again--didn't see any leaks...

WTF? Any opinions or drops of wisdoBmW?

TIA
    BMW 330Cic, 6-speed, Sport Pkg, black, hardtop

BEST BEER IN THE WORLD...

My Cars
    2003 330I ZHP
    My old 330ci used a lot of oil when it was new. If I remember correctly it used less and less as the car got older. I've actually heard of several cars doing this. I'm not saying that your car doesn't have a leak or something though.

My Cars
    Dave runs outside to check his oil....

My Cars
    '02 M3, '90 325i
    my car is relatively new (28k miles) and about every 5k miles the orange oil light would come on. i have taken it to the dealership to check for leaks and they just said it would burn off about a quart of oil every ~5k miles. so i dunno..

My Cars
    330xi
    I have had what I consider excessive oil consumption on my '01 330xi since day one; so much so that I've contacted BMW of North America.

I literally consume 1qt of oil every 1,500 miles or so. Officially, BMW considers 1 QT of consumption per 1000 miles driven to be acceptable (directly from BMW of N. America). I have had an oil consumption test performed by the dealer and fall within "their" tolerances, so nothing will be done. The oil consumption test will be performed by the dealer for FREE; push the issue until they relent - call BMW of North America if necessary (I paid nothing).

BTW - Do not count on this phenomina stopping; we have about 50K on the car now and it still consumes the same amount of oil it did on day one.

Personally, I am shocked at the oil consumption. My wife drives this car to commute to work and it is not driven hard, only highway miles.

My '00 Acura TL consumes ZERO oil over 6,000 miles between changes.

I like the ride and feel of the car but do not think I will purchase another BMW anytime soon; I will stick with a more reliable Asian car.

2001 330xi

My Cars
    '02 330ci
    My car had the same problem. However, it did get better in my car. Haven't really heard of any remedy.
    330ci Topaz Blue
    Sports Package
    Premium Package
    Active Autowerke Software Upgrade
    Active Autowerke Stainless Exhaust
    ECIS Intake
    H&R Sport Springs
    Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
    Active Autowerke Front/Rear Strut Braces
    Active Autowerke RCCAs

My Cars
    The 3.0 in my Z3 would consume about half a quart every 2000 miles, not excessive... I'll keep an eye on the 330, though...

My Cars
    '96 911; '00 E320
    Check your oil when you put gas in. It's good to keep an eye on things...more data points help you make a better analysis.

My Cars
    oil burner and gas drinker
    Originally posted by dcdude68
    Check your oil when you put gas in.
    I stopped putting gas in because prices are too damn high...:
    BMW 330Cic, 6-speed, Sport Pkg, black, hardtop

BEST BEER IN THE WORLD...

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Conv.

Lemon Law

"I like the ride and feel of the car but do not think I will purchase another BMW anytime soon; I will stick with a more reliable Asian car.[/QUOTE]"

I hear ya, I am actually about 10 months into a lemon law case against BMW. I will never buy a BMW again because of the way they have treated me. This is the second new BMW I have purchased - the first was a 2000 528. You would think they would take care of their repeat customers - they give u all this BS about customer service when you are buying the cars but turn their backs when something goes wrong. The car has also had an alternator stop workin, exhaust system rattling, tire and gas gauges that have been faulty.

I'm really bummed out that they decided to screw me over because I really luv the look of BMW's and now will never own 1 again.

My Cars
    330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by m3lemon
    I hear ya, I am actually about 10 months into a lemon law case against BMW. I will never buy a BMW again because of the way they have treated me. This is the second new BMW I have purchased - the first was a 2000 528. You would think they would take care of their repeat customers - they give u all this BS about customer service when you are buying the cars but turn their backs when something goes wrong. The car has also had an alternator stop workin, exhaust system rattling, tire and gas gauges that have been faulty.

I'm really bummed out that they decided to screw me over because I really luv the look of BMW's and now will never own 1 again.
    Sorry to hear about your problems... BMW

2001 330xi

My Cars
    1999 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by phildo
    i have taken it to the dealership to check for leaks and they just said it would burn off about a quart of oil every ~5k miles. so i dunno..
    That's a load of crap. My 328 with amost 100K miles on it goes through *NO* oil at all. I bought it w/ 65K on it, and went the full 15K interval between changes and the level didn't go down at all.
    1999 328i 5spd Stock
    220K!

My Cars
    330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by havnfun328
    That's a load of crap. My 328 with amost 100K miles on it goes through *NO* oil at all. I bought it w/ 65K on it, and went the full 15K interval between changes and the level didn't go down at all.
    I know; but I dealt with BMW USA corporate themselves. Short of taking them to court, nothing is going to change.

2001 330xi

My Cars
    '72 911S, '01 Z3
    I heard of this happening on a M3...but never had it go down

My Cars
    2003 330I ZHP
    My 01 330CI went through oil when it was new. I've heard of this happening on many of the 330s, so your not the only one. Mine did stop burning oil after a while though.

My Cars
    '04 330xi, '53 MG TD

04 330xi needed oil at only 2300 miles

I've only put 2500 miles on the car sine January and the oil light popped on for me for the first time about 3 weeks ago while at the gas pump. Thought that was odd. Turned the car on and off again and the light went away. It then popped on once again later that evening. This time I checked the oil level after waiting a few minutes for the engine to settle. It the oil coating was light and thin and hard to be 100% positive, but it did seem to be right smack dab in the middle. I tried calling the Road Side Assistance via my BMW assist for advise around 11pm EST, but they were useless and said I would need to consult a dealer during normal business hours. I'm not a daily driver so the car isn’t out too much more than once or twice a week. A few driving sessions in between and no light, but the last time out of the garage a few days ago, the light came on again when I shut it off and again. So I checked the oil level with the car cold and the oil was only covering the small ball below the minimum fill line. Ok, the manual says to check the car while at running temperature after waiting 5min for the oil to settle. Maybe the oil expands with heat, or perhaps the oil check stem doesn’t dip into the oil sump, but to some place where oil will rise too during operation, I simply don’t know, so I go with what the manual says, even though my gut is tell me that the cold level is correct and consistent with the oil light coming on. But come on, how can this super engineered German car be consuming oil with so few miles on it yet. So one again now I call the Road Side number and this time it’s early enough that they conference me in with BMW customer assistance and this guy then set up a conference call with a technician from a west coast dealership who is still open. This guy says that my cold reading is the better reading and that it’s about a litter of oil measurer between fill lines. Add enough oil, about a half litter, to fill it to the in between point when cold, and that should be the right level when hot. They also said what has been mentioned here, that they expect some oil consumption, in the form that is burned up and expelled via the exhaust in the early life of the engine and that should diminish over time. Well that may be, an I guess perhaps without some carbon buildup, high vacuum and super clean rings might not completely seal oil from reaching the combustion chamber. Here is a good list I found of common causes of oil consumption http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/art...rticles185.htm most of with are not likely in my case. But with oil consumption a normal indicator of problems when a engine starts into wear, if there is still all of this normal oil burning going on, these other problem might go un detected. Seems like BMW should be able to make these things NOT burn any.

Well, that said, 2004 330xi, added ½ liter of Mobil One SAE 5w30 at 2500 miles. Will have to see how long that lasts.

My Cars
    04' 330ci, 95' M3
    when i first got the car after about 4k miles the oil light came on and i noticed my oil level was low as well, and i did what you did, i poured in some more, when i took it in for service i asked one of the techs and he said it does that depending on how you drive, after that time however it never happened again, i drive the same but it didnt come back on
    04' 330ci orient blue
    95' M3 avus blue
    03' R6

My Cars
    E46,EX35,Tacoma 4x4
    Same thing happened to me the other day (2004 325ci) with only 5000mi...put in 1/2 quart and light went off...hope this is not a trend...

My Cars
    '04 330xi, '53 MG TD

just a little more - fill update

Checked my oil level before a short trip out of town and back yesterday. Light hadn't come on yet, but the level was definantly at the low line.

Added another 1/2QT at 3341 miles. This didn't raise my fill line as much as I would like, may have to check it again soon. But no oil light as yet.

My Cars
    996tt/330/Element/M3
    This reminds me, my oil light came on earlier today.

My Cars
    '03 330i PP '96 LT4 Corvette
    My car burns about a quart every 7-8000 miles. Not too bad, but a quart at less than 5000 miles would seem excessive to me.

Jason
    ////////////////////////////////////////
    '03 330i ZHP, black on black
    '96 LT4 Corvette, black on gray
    Houston, TX
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

My Cars
    '04 330xi, '53 MG TD

Re: just a little more - fill update

At 3500 did a full change in prep for a DE at the Glen, and then at 5800 level was down mid way and added 1qt more. 1K of that was all interstate driving. This still seems a bit high, but it does seem to be decreasing a little bit. Driving is about 20% city, 40% county roads, 40% highway. It is not being driven daily and sits somtimes a week between runs. I sometimes wonder if that is not good for it.

My Cars
    E46 330Ci

Re: oil consumption, has it happened to your bimmer?

I wonder for all of you that have excessive oil burning, did you follow the proper break-in procedure when you got your car?

Not accusing anyone of anything, just trying to find a common link.

Mine burned about a half quart before I first changed the oil at about 8k miles. Since then I've had no noticeable losses.

My Cars
    '04 330xi, '53 MG TD
    Was extreamly nice to mine for the first 1500 miles. Was diligent about keeping revs low and under 4500. Over reved a few times getting out of heavy snow, but nothing prolonged. For the most part, it got broken in 25% with city and 75% with highway driving.

My Cars
    2005 330XI

Oil Consumption

Hello folks, I purchased a 2001 330xi this past April with 35kmi (off lease BMW certified). All maintainance records were available to me and are in order. I drive it easy and it uses a quart of oil every 2400mi. There is no indication of a leak. I am concerned that this indicates a car that was driven hard and is wearing out. Any suggestions or observations? By the way, I am VERY happy with this car otherwise.
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast