Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turbo M5 S62

My Cars
    E39 S62

Turbo M5 S62

To make long story short I am a Chevy guy living in France. I have a friend drifting with BMW.
    When he saw my twin turbo Chevrolet he had the stupid idea to ask me to turbocharge his M5 S62. I din't know this engine but said him I would do it.

Now I am glad we finished this M5. I made the thinking and manifolds, he made the building.
    We test drove it yesterday and it is a little bastard on the road.
    This is a E39 M5 with the "famous" S62 engine.
    We run a PT7168 with the big 0.96 hot side. This spools at 2800 RPM.
    A/A intercooler
    We have 100lbs injectors for E85 fuel, Link Storm ECU, 2 Bosch 4 channels ignitors for the stock coils (dwell at 4ms).
    CR is the stock 11/1
    The cams are the stock ones hydraulicaly locked (ICL 110°, LCA 112). Those are about 205°@.050" but the heads seam to flow very well.
    We now run at 10.5 AFR with 21° timing at low boost. We will dyno it soon in order to limit it to what is admited to be a safe limit 550 - 600hp.
    If one day he wants to sleeve the engine and buy some pistons everything is ready for 800 HP just turn up the boost.

[/URL]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    That looks very promising. More photos and details would be great. You've eliminated VANOS - any particular reason why? Nice work
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    This is rad.

Please post more pictures (manifolds, downpipes, and such).
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Nice, I'm liking the setup.
    Not liking a few of the colors on the motor, but hey, it's not mine to complain about.
    How much boost are you guys at right now? Should easily handle 500whp with E85
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    E39 S62
    I deactivated the vanos because we needed a stand alone ECU. This is a low budget build and my friend didn't want to spend the money for a MOTEC.
    I also wanted something I could program myself easily.

To do this we removed the solenoid controls, leaved the inlet solenoïd normaly closed and machined the outlet solenoïd fully open. Then we machined some calibrated cylinders to limit the Vanos travel to the rigth position for each camshaft. So only the backside is pressurized. Starting the engine this make some noise for 1 second and then quiets when the cams are locked. This is way cheaper then a Vanos suppresion kit at 900$.

The cams timing is about what we have on chevy engines. So this gives a lot of torque at low RPM, the engine is still pulling very strong to the rev limit. The real problem will be to limit the torque all over the RPM bandnot to destroy the block.

Here are some more pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We are around 4 - 5 PSI now. This is about the minimum the wastegate can control.
    Last edited by alexS62; 07-18-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2017 F250
    So how much did this cost?

My Cars
    E39 S62
    The cost of the manifolds, pipes, bov, waste gate, turbo, intercooler, ECU, harness, 2 044fuel pumps, injectors , throttle body etc etc... is under 5500 Euros + a lot of work.
    The complete intake manifold for example costs 350 Euros (do it yourself!)

My Cars
    PT6466 05M3, 99M3, 00M5
    Nice to see the s62 getting some turbo love.
    But how is a 7168 w/.96 AR making full boost @2800rpm? Did I misread that?

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    He said it spools, probably when they start to see pos pressure. Good job, looks great!
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Quote Originally Posted by dreikraft
    Nice to see the s62 getting some turbo love.
    But how is a 7168 w/.96 AR making full boost @2800rpm? Did I misread that?
    Full boost of 4psi

My Cars
    2004 Chevy Trailblazer
    I absolutely love some DIY turbo. Anyone can buy a kit....But only dedicated enthusiasts can do some true quality DIY work. Nice!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Stock coils at 4ms dwell

My Cars
    E39 S62
    Thanks for the comments.
    The turbo starts to create some boost at 2800, I think we can see full boost at 3500 RPM.

Concerning the dwell, I didn't found any dwell table so I lined it up with what we do on chevy's. Any recommendations will be welcomed ! Maybe 4ms are too much ?

My friend will drift with this car and wanted some "Mad Max" look to show off a bit ! I also don't agree on all the project lines but as said this is also not mine. I will try to make some video tomorrow as we will drive it a bit more to adjust some parameters before the dyno (next friday)

Just to share with you, here is a pic of my chevy engine. The dyno graph is while smoking the tyres on the rollers ! I enjoy US cars and engines but I really love the German technologie.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Stock coils at 4ms dwell

Please tell me what you think about this dwell. I understand something sounds wrong for you .

Thanks
    Last edited by alexS62; 07-19-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Awesome build!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Quote Originally Posted by alexS62 View Post
    Please tell me what you think about this dwell. I understand something sounds wrong for you .

Thanks
    Dwell should work anywhere between 1.8 & 2.4. I got misfire set at 1.8 on warmup but was fine at running temps. Start there and any misfire should go away before 2.4 if nothing else is wrong. I am currently at 2.0 with no misfire, breakups, hesitations or anything. This is on a m62, t66, 7.5 psi and total advance of 22.1*.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Dwell for 12v - 14v should be around 2.5ms

My Cars
    E39 S62
    Whaa !
    I will fry the coils with 4ms.

Thanks for information, I put it immediately at 2.2ms.

Lughed, what fuel do you run with this timing ?

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Lughed, what fuel do you run with this timing?
    93 octane

My Cars
    E39 S62
    Could someone confirm me the HP limit of this bone stock S62. I read some pro kit builder saying 550 crank hp.

We tested yesterday at a steady 7 PSI and 17° timing (we have troubles limiting to 4 PSI with the TIAL wastegate) and feel like we make some heavy torque (a lot more than without the turbo). Firts gear is useless and second can start a burn while driving.
    I think I have to limit something before braking the block.

We will wait for the dyno to tune more.

My Cars
    M5 E39
    Could someone confirm me the HP limit of this bone stock S62. I read some pro kit builder saying 550 crank hp.

We tested yesterday at a steady 7 PSI and 17° timing (we have troubles limiting to 4 PSI with the TIAL wastegate) and feel like we make some heavy torque (a lot more than without the turbo). Firts gear is useless and second can start a burn while driving.
    I think I have to limit something before braking the block.

We will wait for the dyno to tune more.
    The s62 stock internals are ok for up too 600bhp. I am running 9psi without any issues, any more than 10psi and i think you will need to look at rebuilding the internals incase something blows, the big bearings are a weak point

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ltr View Post
    The s62 stock internals are ok for up too 600bhp. I am running 9psi without any issues, any more than 10psi and i think you will need to look at rebuilding the internals incase something blows, the big bearings are a weak point
    You are running 9 psi from a supercharger which doesn't make boost nearly the same as a turbo setup - turbo setups will make a lot more torque. It's torque that kills engines not horsepower.

I would try and keep the motor below 450 ft lb of torque especially at lower RPM as the S62 has been known to have rod bearing failure. Low RPM + high torque + low oil pressure (due to low rpm) = Failure.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    You are running 9 psi from a supercharger which doesn't make boost nearly the same as a turbo setup - turbo setups will make a lot more torque. It's torque that kills engines not horsepower.

I would try and keep the motor below 450 ft lb of torque especially at lower RPM as the S62 has been known to have rod bearing failure. Low RPM + high torque + low oil pressure (due to low rpm) = Failure.
    Good advice.

--Peter

My Cars
    E39 S62
    Is there any oil grade recommandation to retard the bearings breakage?
    It is not uncommon on our Chevy engines to go as thick as 20W50 on very heavily loaded engines.(sure we also increase the clearance a bit to have enough flow to cool the bearings).

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Is there any oil grade recommandation to retard the bearings breakage?
    It is not uncommon on our Chevy engines to go as thick as 20W50 on very heavily loaded engines.(sure we also increase the clearance a bit to have enough flow to cool the bearings).
    Don't increase the bearing clearance on an S62; ask me how I know!

Castrol TWS 10W60 is the traditional best choice for this engine.

--Peter

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by itsabimmerthing View Post
    I absolutely love some DIY turbo. Anyone can buy a kit....But only dedicated enthusiasts can do some true quality DIY work. Nice!
    Yes, anyone with a spare $15K.

Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Awesome build!
    +1
    Last edited by BigM62; 07-20-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast