Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recycled '82 e21

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is

Recycled '82 e21

About 25yrs ago my dad bought me my first car. The 1980 Zyprussen Green 320i pictured above. I drove it for about 6 years. During that time added a BBS air dam and Momo steering wheel but that was about all I could afford. Eventually I upgraded to an '86 325es and the e21 was sold. That was the end of the story for my '80 320i. This is where story of my '82 320is starts.

I always knew the e21 had more potential and I longed for the European versions that I read about in magazines. I still have some of those magazines and the articles that inspired this project. A couple years ago it hit me that i needed to revisit the e21 and do it the way it was meant to be done. I located a rust free version. The goal was to keep it period correct and get performance that aftermarket tuners of the 80's would have provided. Approaching 2 years into this project I feel like I've got a substantial about of work done but a long way to go before it is on the road. Here is how it sits today.

A couple set backs this week. I got the bill to shorten the drive shaft(ouch). Also the windshield installer tore my brand new headliner.
    I thought I'd take a minute to recharge my battery and share some photos and appreciate whats been done right.

Here is the subject the day I towed it home. A '82 hennarot 320is.

I drove it for a month before the center support bearing let go and the drive shaft started flopping around. It was time to start the tear down and prepare for the color change from red to white(not recommended).

The photos I enjoy the most are the before and after...

engine bay before and after.

brakes before and after.

subframe before and after.

seats before and after.

seat tracks before and after.

euro sheet metal rear panel. before and after.

Visit this link for more photos.

A word of caution. This is not an Alpina vehicle. The only genuine Alpina parts are the mudflaps which I have not installed yet. I've always been against what i refer to as "stickers and stripes supercars" (cars with the badges and logos but no increased performance). This white palette needed something to make it pop. In this case I've made an exception and have forgiven myself. I hope you can forgive me to. end of apology to purists.

M20 motor swap is in place but still need to sort out just about everything. Motor is an fairly stock rebuild. S-eta lower end with an "i" head on top. Mild cam. Many thanks to the guys at Oceanside Motorsports for their work on that.

Urethane bushings and mounts throughout. Thanks to Jester.

Paint and bodywork done by Derek at Patrick Flynns in Vista, CA

Bumpers, Seats etc, from Dave at Aardvarc Racing.

Wheels and trim done by Dan at Speedway Polishing and Coating in Santa ana.

Had to give credit where credit is due.

I will update as I progress. Some of the remaining systems to sort out are fuel, exhaust, brake lines, cooling, harness, stereo, etc.

I'm still not comfortable with the term "restored". When friends ask what I've been up to I typically respond that I've been building a car. Restoring is more appropriate for those who bring back to life important cars that are far more gone than mine. I'm referring to the mind blowing build threads where it appears rust won the battle. A more accurate description of my project would be "recycled". Not in the to be confused with go green save the environment recycle. I'm recycling this cause i'm not impressed with new cars that lack style and separate the driver from the road. To quote a phrase..."simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

Thanks for looking.

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    I'm at a loss. The only word that comes to mind is WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    '71 2002, 1989 325i(sold) 1983 Alpina B6 2.8
    Love the zypresgrun color. I had a '79 Alpina the same color.
    I also love the color change. Ive been contemplating the same choice with my hennarot. White just looks fantastic!
    Cant wait to see the final product!

My Cars
    '81 320i
    Thank you very much for sharing. This is absolutely wonderful and I'll be following it closely. Hope all goes to plan if not better. Also, if any help is needed let us know...even though I doubt I'll be able to do much, you never know.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Where did you get the new windshield and how much was it installed?
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    1986 325e
    Awesome!!!!!

My Cars
    72' 3.0 CS 82' 320iS
    I had an 82' AlpineWeiss 320iS and it never came close to looking as nice as yours! If it did, I might have kept it white...

Congrats on all the hard work and what you have to show for it! Looks like you went for genuine OEM on many of the replacement parts and I know that usually adds up to a lot of $$$! Keep going and keep us posted on your progress!

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    WOW!!!! Wonderful to finally see some pics of it. You going to be out at Neil's BBQ at the shop this weekend? I would love to pick your brain some more about some before/after stuff.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is
    Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm motivated daily by all the other e21s I see posted on this forum. Not just the perfect magazine quality builds but also the bondo'd, rusted imperfect cars that members are putting their blood and sweat into.

Quote Originally Posted by amarino View Post
    Where did you get the new windshield and how much was it installed?
    The windshield was an after market unit. I supplied the new after market gasket and chrome insert and the installer charged $200 for the glass and installation.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbimmer View Post
    Love the zypresgrun color. I had a '79 Alpina the same color. !
    vtbimmer, I love your old '79 with the recaros. I almost changed gears on my color choice when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by npover72 View Post
    Looks like you went for genuine OEM on many of the replacement parts and I know that usually adds up to a lot of $$$!
    I used OEM parts where ever I could. Lots of shipments from Bavauto, Walloth&Nesch, etc. I added it up at one point and I think I've ordered parts from 7 different countries.

At one point I even purchased uberpanzer's wheels on craigslist... 2years after they were stolen off his car.

Uberpanzer, Say Hi to Neil from me. I can't make the BBQ. Too much work to be done.

My Cars
    83 320 14 335ix
    Quote Originally Posted by kdonn View Post
    A more accurate description of my project would be "recycled". Not in the to be confused with go green save the environment recycle. I'm recycling this cause i'm not impressed with new cars that lack style and separate the driver from the road. To quote a phrase..."simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

Thanks for looking.
    very nice work.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    I like the comment on color change. HA! Even subtle changes are a PITA to do it right.
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    BMW 320i ('83), BMW 318ti ('98), BMW 3.0 CSi ('72)
    Excellent work. Great documentation of progress and inspiring.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    i like the idea of using contemporary 80's performance parts/ideas. i want to be transported back in time when driving the old e21. the original sights, sounds, movements/feel, and smell will put a big smile on your face. sort of like recreating your own review from an old 1977 car magazine. to each their own. you are doing a super job. good luck.

My Cars
    e9 / e21 / e36
    Great car and work done so far! I too like your efforts of having everything period correct. That audio equipment looks amazing, is it all NOS?

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by DEZIAC View Post
    That audio equipment looks amazing, is it all NOS?
    Ah yes, car audio. So glad you asked. That is just another 25 year old itch this project allows me to scratch. Just another playground to let my ocd/add/hoarding disorders run wild.

The components pictured are not NOS, but as close to NOS as you will find. Still with original boxes and paperwork. I assume equipment such as this was installed in a high end vehicle of the day then maybe replaced with upgraded versions so the owners boxed them up and put them on a shelf or in a closet etc. A little internet search will turn up audiophile forums discussing the sound quality of this Nakamichi deck paired with these a/d/s amps and speakers.

My original plan was to save weight and remove all stereo equipment. I love the look of radio delete plates. I believe an Ipod and external speaker would give me all the sound I need. This route gives me a chance to re-visit cassette tapes and the "lost art of the mixtape".

I always loved the fact that A/D/S labeled their components with model numbers to mimic BMW's. (320i speakers, CSI crossovers, 300is etc.)

My Cars
    '82 320i
    Wow! Amazing build so far. Actually a real restoration, and not just a freshening. Very impressive!
    '82 320i M10 Turbo with VEMS
    '95 525i with VEMS M50 PnP
    '99 528 Wagon

My Cars
    e9 / e21 / e36
    Ah yes, car audio. So glad you asked. That is just another 25 year old itch this project allows me to scratch. Just another playground to let my ocd/add/hoarding disorders run wild.

The components pictured are not NOS, but as close to NOS as you will find. Still with original boxes and paperwork. I assume equipment such as this was installed in a high end vehicle of the day then maybe replaced with upgraded versions so the owners boxed them up and put them on a shelf or in a closet etc. A little internet search will turn up audiophile forums discussing the sound quality of this Nakamichi deck paired with these a/d/s amps and speakers.

My original plan was to save weight and remove all stereo equipment. I love the look of radio delete plates. I believe an Ipod and external speaker would give me all the sound I need. This route gives me a chance to re-visit cassette tapes and the "lost art of the mixtape".

I always loved the fact that A/D/S labeled their components with model numbers to mimic BMW's. (320i speakers, CSI crossovers, 300is etc.)

Wow...amazing stuff! The build of those components already scream quality and theses are decades old. Those amps reminds me of 80's NAD home stereo equipment. I love the look, I hope you install them where they can be showcased and appreciated.

My Cars
    77 E21, 92 MR2 Turbo
    very nice car! I'm in your area, would love to see it in person sometime.

1977 320i - BBSs, Recaros, LSD, Zender bits

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
    very nice car! I'm in your area, would love to see it in person sometime.
    It will be awhile before it is out on the road but you are always welcome to swing by and check it out. Most weekends you'll find me in the driveway under a car or two.

pm'd ya.

My Cars
    80 320is, 98 328is
    wow awesome build!

My Cars
    1981 BMW Coupe
    Probably the best build i have seen to date.

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is

I crave U.S. bumpers

Just like tequila shots after the 1st one settles one more seems like a great idea...

I came across an opportunity to own an unmolested alpine white '83 320is and i couldn't pass it up. It came with a all the fixings to do a m20 swap. The plan is to keep it as stock as possible and enjoy the ride. The m20, trans, etc. will go up for sale in another post this week.

Back to the story at hand. I made some forward progress on the '82 installing the shortened drive shaft, relocated the battery to the truck, and refinished my sport steering wheel.

21 pound Braille 3121. I still need to bolt down the ground strap.

Don't tell anyone where I hid the kill switch.

and now for a before and after shot. The image quality doesn't do it justice but I sanded and re-dyed my steering wheel leather and also dyed the plastic spokes. I used a Leatherique kit and am extremely happy with the outcome.

and finally credit must go to cheap320i for restitching these visors. I link I'm going to need another set. Thanks Mike. Quality product, great price.

two tone. black top and white underneath done in original material.

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320is

one step forward, two steps back

Did you ever pick up a stray dog/cat and get stuck with a huge vet bill? I never have but I imagine it feels something like this...

I took a gamble on the wheel in the CL parts car Euro Lovin brought to our attention a couple weeks ago. It's a Momo but not an Alpina. And if it is to see any more use I will need to rebuild the foam. I'm brainstorming ways to do it on my own. I've already been quoted $385-$750 to have the grip rebuilt and recovered in leather.

I think I will be doing some experimenting with urethane and try to pour a mold myself and leave the leather works to someone else(cheap320i).

The good news is I was able to pick up a Hardy&Beck horn button on Fleabay. Nice patina. Just what I was looking for. This gives me motivation to get this Momo back to former glory.

Now I have a question for those running spacers. My staggered wheel set up does not work with the Massive front brake kit. The 15x6 rubs on the caliper, the 15x7 works fine. I bought 6mm spacers from Ireland Engineering but because the inside of the wheel is beveled there is not enough support from the hub. It appears no one makes hubcentric spacers under 10mm. Do I need hub centric rings in addition to spacers? Pardon my ignorance, I didn't think spacers would get this complicated.

and now for some pretty photos cause it is too hot to do any real work but never too hot to wash a car and take pictures...

My Cars
    (2) '83 320iS, '97 528i
    You can get closed cell polyethylene foam sheet in 1/4" & maybe thinner. Seattle Fabrics (I think) has a good selection, as well as others on the web. You could cut strips and wrap & glue them in sections, or do a strip that goes around the circumference & cut reliefs in it so it doesn't pucker when wrapped around te rim. You could add layers to ge the dia you want. 3M's high strenght 90(?) spray adhesive works good on it. Once covered it wouldn't come undone and the closed cell pe would be more durable than polyurethane. Certainly it would be less work than making a mold and pouring urethane.

Just an idea.

Oh yeah, you could also put a resistance heater in it & have the first e21 with a heated steering wheel unless Lasvegascop has done it already. He always sooo amazes me.
    Last edited by e21Terry; 08-21-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    "The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By dilligent effort, I learnt to like it." Sir Winston Churchill

My Cars
    83 320i
    Did you ever pick up a stray dog/cat and get stuck with a huge vet bill? I never have but I imagine it feels something like this...

I took a gamble on the wheel in the CL parts car Euro Lovin brought to our attention a couple weeks ago. It's a Momo but not an Alpina. And if it is to see any more use I will need to rebuild the foam. I'm brainstorming ways to do it on my own. I've already been quoted $385-$750 to have the grip rebuilt and recovered in leather.

I think I will be doing some experimenting with urethane and try to pour a mold myself and leave the leather works to someone else(cheap320i).

\
    Man after my own heart. I've been pondering this solution too. I think you're on the right track. It would be nice to have a model in good shape to take a mold from. Otherwise build one of modeling clay and mold that.
    Last edited by cheap320i; 08-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast