Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW HPF full CARBON FIBER E46 Hood GROUP BUY with AGRESSIVE STYLING - $1650

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i

Thumbs up HPF FULL Carbon Fiber BMW E46 Hood

We only build the best and our NEW HPF FULL CARBON FIBER BMW HOOD is no exception to that rule. Our extremely strong Carbon Fiber hood is being built by the same company that builds several of our NEW Carbon Fiber parts. For those who have received them, they will notice that they are EXTREMELY strong, EXTREMELY light, EXTREMELY thin, they fit PERFECT and the finish doesn't fade ever. They've been building extremely complex high quality carbon fiber parts for the aerospace industry for years and have also produced some remarkable hoods that I've seen that meet ALL the requirements listed below and then some. These parts have a much higher melting point as virtually no resin or fiberglass is used and they don't fade even in hotter climates with tons of sun.

The following are our requirements for the HPF BMW E46 Hood.

• It MUST work for most E46's.
    • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
    • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
    • It MUST be fade resistant
    • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
    • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications

Updates are coming soon.

Chris.
    Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - sales@horsepowerfreaks.com

My Cars
    '97 M3
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Out of Service

My Cars
    1999 M3
    FYI

All carbon parts use resin, even pre-preg. It is just another term for the plastic matrix. Perhaps you meant polyester resin (besides the gel coat).
    Joe

My Cars
    a few e30s
    How aggressive is it?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Coming SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed
    Ah NO.

Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh
    how aggressive is it?
    The center section will be raised quite a bit more than factory and the vents will look amazing.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Estoril View Post
    FYI

All carbon parts use resin, even pre-preg. It is just another term for the plastic matrix. Perhaps you meant polyester resin (besides the gel coat).
    x2.... lol
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

My Cars
    '03 M3
    Why "Must have vents"?

Vents for function are one thing but you described these as "that aggressive look".. Vent-less would be cleaner. If you still had an engineer working there maybe then you could design a hood with proper venting by design with out eye sore vents in the middle of the hood.... Sorry just hate the vents in Vorsteiner and the like.
    xbox live: STYLES 7
    game on!

http://rattlesnakebmw.org/BMWblog/

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Styles Spec View Post
    Why "Must have vents"?

Vents for function are one thing but you described these as "that aggressive look".. Vent-less would be cleaner. If you still had an engineer working there maybe then you could design a hood with proper venting by design with out eye sore vents in the middle of the hood.... Sorry just hate the vents in Vorsteiner and the like.
    It will have a proper venting design. I will have various pictures up to look at in the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    Hope to see pictures of these soon, specifically the sedan version.
    Pictures will be coming soon. We just had our first team meeting on the hoods. The hood will be CNC'd shortly and after we update the designs I'll post up a few different rendered versions and let you guys give me feedback.

The style most of us like the best is for the center section recessed with a raised bevel right before the center. Then to have functional side vents on each side. The placement of these is really up for discussion as well.

We always want to show off our engines with our hood open. But nobody wants to have an UGLY hood underside with either resin or cut fiberglass sections that hold the hood together. The HPF hood will be two layers with the underside made of the same CRYSTAL CLEAR SHINY CARBON FIBER.

We won't be making a Sedan version at first. Once we sell through the Coupe version we can take a look at the demand for the Sedan.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer
    I want ur HOOD!

-Trip
    I can't wait to get this hood moving. I want our new hood on both HPF race cars.

Chris.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    fshd
    nice job![IMG]http://www.**********.info/7.jpg[/IMG]

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by cahn935 View Post
    nice job![IMG]http://www.**********.info/7.jpg[/IMG]
    Thanks.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    Excellent excellent, can't wait to see the pics.
    Thanks.

The factory hood is being CAD scanned tomorrow and we will be meeting with the designers to discuss the direction and design next week.

Chris.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhk79 View Post
    No pics? A bit pointless...
    We met with the company yesterday that is building our carbon fiber hoods. We have assembled a great team of minds to attack this project and will be bringing an amazing product to market. We are taking a "real" look at aeromdynamics of this hood and hope to improve downforce, improve flow through the engine area w/increased cooling, and reduce the pressure gradient that cause some of the aftermarket hoods to shake wildly at high speeds and want to blow off . We are also bringing forward a class "BMW" looking race design that I think will impress. It is similar to other hoods but takes everything one or two steps further. The underside will utilize carbon fiber as well so when you open your hood, it will look amazing underneath. The hood will NOT require hood pins to stay on the car. The hood will have reinforcements for the hinge and attachment areas and will not flex in those areas when opening and closing the hood. The hood will fit perfect every time and will be made here in the US.

I may raise the retail price of this hood over $1,995 once we release it. However... I will guarantee the group buy price of $1,650 to everyone that pre-orders. I will have pictures up next week so stay tuned.

Chris.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Update: We will have hood designs for review next Monday/Tuesday.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    E36 M3
    all aboard the failboat

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    all aboard the failboat
    You poor guy. It must suck to be negative all the time.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
    You poor guy. It must suck to be negative all the time.
    What sucks is your marketing.

You advertised a new hood 25 days ago and you still don't have pics. I fully understand that you want to get people excited about a new product but I think you jumped the gun a little. I can't get excited about a hood when all I have to go off of is a written description. Meh, I'm negative anyway. I'll just go get a Vorsteiner.

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    What sucks is your marketing.

You advertised a new hood 25 days ago and you still don't have pics. I fully understand that you want to get people excited about a new product but I think you jumped the gun a little. I can't get excited about a hood when all I have to go off of is a written description. Meh, I'm negative anyway. I'll just go get a Vorsteiner.
    There's two theories at work here. Your theory is design your own hood in private and release it and hope everyone loves it. My theory is to involve the community and let them help me make a better hood through information sharing.

It must be SO HARD for a negative person such as yourself to not open this thread. The wisest people are those that listen before they speak. Might want to go to Vorsteiners website before you get too excited about their E46 M3 hood.

Chris.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    E36 M3
    There's two theories at work here. Your theory is design your own hood in private and release it and hope everyone loves it. My theory is to involve the community and let them help me make a better hood through information sharing.

It must be SO HARD for a negative person such as yourself to not open this thread. The wisest people are those that listen before they speak. Might want to go to Vorsteiners website before you get too excited about their E46 M3 hood.

Chris.
    You have already decided to market the hood and are taking pre orders before anyone sees it. So, aren't you designing it in private and hoping everyone loves it? Or am I missing something here?

I wasn't planning on buying a Vorsteiner hood. Apparently I can't even buy one as you mentioned. I just thought it was ironic that you would give a potential buyer some flack, especially seeing that I own an E46 M3.

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    You have already decided to market the hood and are taking pre orders before anyone sees it. So, aren't you designing it in private and hoping everyone loves it? Or am I missing something here?

I wasn't planning on buying a Vorsteiner hood. Apparently I can't even buy one as you mentioned. I just thought it was ironic that you would give a potential buyer some flack, especially seeing that I own an E46 M3.
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev
    all aboard the failboat
    Don't be a keyboard warrior and expect not to get a response out of me.

Chris.
    Last edited by HPF Chris; 07-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I believe your first comment was directed at me was it not?

Chris.
    Just like the first two posts mentioned, all you have to do is post pics of the hood.

Did you not expect negative feedback when you make a half assed attempt at a new release?

Try delivering the goods rather than coming off negatively towards me.

I would expect a vendor to have enough respect for a potential customer to ATLEAST provide pics of the product if you ask them to spend $1700.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Well I always told myself one day I'd go the HPF route with an e46 m3... but this thread just changed my mind.. thanks Chris!

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    Just like the first two posts mentioned, all you have to do is post pics of the hood.

Did you not expect negative feedback when you make a half assed attempt at a new release?

Try delivering the goods rather than coming off negatively towards me.

I would expect a vendor to have enough respect for a potential customer to ATLEAST provide pics of the product if you ask them to spend $1700.
    Patience is a virtue. I had just finished posting I will have pics next Monday/Tuesday.
    Last edited by HPF Chris; 07-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    We met with the company that is designing and building our carbon fiber hoods earlier this week. They brought a lot of great ideas. The drawings below are their conceptual ideas before they take it to CAD. I'd like to hear your freeback on these concepts below and the hood designs as I want to maximize the overall market for our hoods.

My Requirements

• It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
    • It MUST work for most E46's.
    • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
    • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
    • It MUST have venting on both sides
    • It MUST be fade resistant
    • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
    • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications
    • Vents should be less wide but more of them
    • Vents should be in a location that doesn't affect the electronics
    • Hood should seal to the rubber strip at the top of the hood that seals in the electronics.
    • HPF Should be embossed on the underside of the hood in a clean manner that is noticeable if you look but doesn't stand out

Their Ideas

• The aftermarket hoods on the market are simply a copy of the factory hood and can be better designed using the full capabilities of composites and re-designing the hood from scratch.
    • With the center section lowered and the webbing removed like it is on some aftermarket hoods, the torsional reinforcement is gone. This causes the fluttering of the hood in the back.
    • Torsion beams on the underside of the hood must tie the rear hinge points to the front hinge points. These designs are shown in the pictures below.
    • Core material should be designed into the hood to provide these torsion beams. This core material is extremely lightweight and provides extreme rigity.
    • Some hood designs below also add a structural reinforcement on top of the hood (the lip running from side to side) as well to make it extremely strong and also provide downforce.
    • Molded in vents should be produced in such a way that they are sharp and clear cut. Other aftermarket hoods have vents that have slow radiused curves into the vents which makes them look not as aggressive.
    • The sides of the hood should retain the original 4 rubber bump stops that allow the hood to lock in snugly against the body of the car.
    • The underside of the hood should be as amazing to look at as the top side. You can see separation between the top and bottom parts of the hood on many of these aftermarket hoods out there and as a result the hoods are not as strong. When the hood is designed as one composite piece you get an extremely strong hood that is very lightweight.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast