Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 wont start issue

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Angry E38 wont start issue

1996 BMW 740iL. the problem is the car does not start up, there is no click or any noise on the starter position. this happened after recharging the battery because it was drain when I left the car for two weeks.

I have posted a video about my problem. Please check the link below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SC-4RBLXAw[/ame]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Have you tried starting the car in Neutral? Are you sure the battery is charged?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Dear Miguel760ti,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I tried starting the car in Neutral and the battery is fully charged. Also, disconnected and connected the battery. is there a relay for the starter? or any ideas should I begin with?

My Cars
    01 bmw 740il
    Check all your fuses and relays I'm betting it's a fuse

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Make sure battery in key is good...

My Cars
    97 740il/01 VW apr ST3+
    That looks like a bad starter. Tap the starter solenoid with a hammer and give it another try.

My Cars
    2002 745i
    Check to make sure you didn't lose the EWS chip from the key:

Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Make sure battery in key is good...
    I don't think the key battery has anything to do with whether the car will start or not.
    Last edited by slypher25aussie; 06-09-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A redline a day keeps the mechanic away...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I don't think the key is what caused the problem. I did not open the key at all.

I have checked the fuses and some relays by changing their positions. Not all relays have been checked. where the starter relay or the relays that related to the problem? any ideas?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Believe you have to remove a few modules to get to this. This is in the Ebox under the hood, passenger side near the firewall.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E38_EK6324C.htm

Have you tried tapping the solenoid on the starter as suggested?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Dear Mayrchuck,
    I don't have that pacific relay, but I have some other relay which could be the starter relay. it is white color with 5 pins, part # 12631729004. is that what I am looking for?
    No I did not tap the solenoid because it seems there is no order to the starter to work.

Anyone has the same problem before? what is the common problem on this situation? Please I need your help. Thanks
    Last edited by samba; 06-10-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    That part number does not come up on realoem so I can't answer that. I have not dealt with this issue myself but dug around here a little and will offer this until someone more knowledgeable chimes in:

Try jumping the car from under the hood to eliminate a battery/connection issue.

While turning the key, move the shifter between Park/Rev, Neutral/Rev and Neutral/Drive to see if you can get it to turn over.

You can pull the starter and hook it directly to the battery to see if it kicks over. This is eliminate a battery issue.

Do you have any aftermarket remotes in your car or keyring that may be interfering with your BMW remote with the EWS?

Sorry I can't help further. I am sure someone else here will. Good luck

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I think The issue is the EWS and immobilizer .. How can u check that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck
    That part number does not come up on realoem so I can't answer that. I have not dealt with this issue myself but dug around here a little and will offer this until someone more knowledgeable chimes in:

Try jumping the car from under the hood to eliminate a battery/connection issue.

While turning the key, move the shifter between Park/Rev, Neutral/Rev and Neutral/Drive to see if you can get it to turn over.

You can pull the starter and hook it directly to the battery to see if it kicks over. This is eliminate a battery issue.

Do you have any aftermarket remotes in your car or keyring that may be interfering with your BMW remote with the EWS?

Sorry I can't help further. I am sure someone else here will. Good luck
    I will tried all of that tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for your information .. I think the problem is EWS and immobilizer . But how can I check that ?
    Last edited by samba; 06-10-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 740iL

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Hi all , I just found the issue .. It is the EWS . I took it off and opened it to see inside it. It has been burn .. I need to replace it and program it to the key. I hope this is useful for someone else who has the seem problem. Thank you all for your help.

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    yay samba knows now! good man, i was gettin sad for you lol

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Great. Thanks for the follow up.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Any idea how this happened? What provoked it? Series of events?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    lol....
    i'll bet the car was jumped from behind to start it causing the EWS burn out ...
    e39 M5 | e38 740i Sport | e34 M5 | s63 AMG | Porsche 911 Cabriolet 1985 | Porsche 911s coupe 1977 | Range Rover Autobiography

My Cars
    98 740i, 09 Yamaha R6
    Haha, wheres that one guy with his "I TOLD YOU SO" come back?

My Cars
    98 BMW 740iL

starting issues

Hi, im having the same trouble as you were except my 740 will start, but only when it wants too. Everything works but the starter wont engage. I've replaced the starter, ignition switch and now going to replace starter relay but cant find it. I was told it was under the fuse box in the engine compartment, but the relay i pulled out and cross referenced was the horn relay and its a 5 pin. the starter relay is a nine pin. I doubt its the ews because i have two keys and they both act the same.

Please help ive been wrkin on this pos for weeks

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Explain 'starter won't engage'. Are you saying it's spinning but not engaging with the flywheel or you get no spin and no click?

My Cars
    1998 740iL
    I AM SO FOLLOWING THIS THREAD WITH THE NEW GUY ADDED....HIS PROBLEM MAY BE MINE.....(head in hands listening intently, LOL) ive been working on mine for going on 3/4 months with this issue, aint that right Mayor!! haha

740illestluxury, since we have the exact same car, the starter relay is located in the Ebox......there are approx 4/5 relays in the bottom...you have to remove all the top modules to get it...it will be the last relay next to the engine...the first relay near the fender is the ABS(pink), the next 2 relays are various wiper relays (both purple), the last relay is suppose to be light green IT IS the starter relay. The color coding is only useful if the original relays are still there.....I know this is the relay as I have been trying to fix mine for a long time. I found it by this diagram site :
    http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...8old/index.htm .......its a must read for finding relays and such.......keep me posted on if you get yours fixed.....when i turn mine over, I get a click from the relay but nothing from the starter.....(yes starter is good)
    Last edited by westlandguy1983; 12-23-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Strange how these things come in bunches. I always suspect low voltage to the starter first. Starter, solenoid, connections, grounds, starter relay, DME, EWS, iggy switch, immobilizer, key..... Knocking on wood that I am not next.

My Cars
    1998 740iL
    I know right mayor!

My Cars
    98 BMW 740iL

Angry starting issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Explain 'starter won't engage'. Are you saying it's spinning but not engaging with the flywheel or you get no spin and no click?
    no spin and no click. but once the starter "turns on" there's no prob. fires rite up the starter just works when ever it wants. the car has one touch starting and sometimes when i turn the key it will start 10 to 30 secs later. i've already relpaced starter and ignition switch and changed nothing. I wanted to try the starter relay next but cant find it in the car.

thanks

westland

Ya man it sucks!, i've been under the modules and taken the green 5pin relay out a couple times. But i went to replace it and the relay that i bought is bigger and a 9pin. I plugged it in any way and nothing happend I took both relays to a shop to have them cross referenced and the relay i bought is a starter relay but the one i thought was the starter relay came up as an accessories relay.
    Im stumpped
    Last edited by 740illestluxury; 12-26-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast