Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW E90 M3 - Maxxis Race Car Project

My Cars
    332iT

BMW E90 M3 - Maxxis Race Car Project

Hi Everyone.

After a successful build of the Crevier E46 M3 SMG and the Total Lubricants 135i, Team SCTS has taken on a new project!!!

We were approached by Maxxis Tire to help them promote their new RC-1 R-comp track tire. We had a chance to test it last year and the tire performed real well.

We decided on the E90 M3 platform and found a non-sunroof 2008 wrecked but fixable with only 10K mi on the clock.

With huge support from our sponsors, a bit of hard work and a lot of luck, we got the car on the track and have raced it a couple times already (Chuckwalla and Buttonwillow).

Scott Cary and I will do our best to keep everyone up to date with the project.

Here are some pictures (before, during, after)...

-Ralph Warren
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    332iT
    Hi All,

For the E90 M3 Race Car build...

Maxxis has finished the first in the video series about the new RC-1 tire and our car/team.

[ame]http://youtu.be/colfs6vfdBM[/ame]

Here's a pic of Scott getting interviewed...

-Ralph Warren
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    332iT
    We are an amateur team thankful to friends, family and sponsors. This project would never have happened if it were not for support from others.

If we can help answer any questions about the build of the car, and the products used, please do not hesitate to ask.

We will be sharing setup and tire information as well.

A special thanks to our sponsors...

Akrapovic Exhaust - We use the standard street exhaust with cats. Incredible titanium quality, sound and light weight.
    http://www.akrapovic.com/

StopTech Brakes - Big Trophy kit front and rear. 4-piston for Prepared-Class legality.
    http://www.stoptech.com/

Hawk Brakes - Brake pads. We use the DTC-70 front and DTC-60 rear on both the M3 and the 135i.
    http://www.hawkbrakes.com/

Apex Wheels and AST Suspension - Eddy has been a huge help. Square setup 18x10.5" wheels. Awesome light wheels. Top-notch AST dealer.
    http://www.apexraceparts.com/

Total Lubricants, USA - Huge help - made the 135i project possible.
    http://www.total-us.com/

Bullet Performance - Best independent BMW repair facility anywhere. Dyno, alignment, mount&balance, fab work, corner-balancing.
    http://bulletmotorworks.com/

Sparco USA - Big help with seat, belts, new helmet, steering wheels, etc.
    http://www.sparcousa.com/

Eibach Springs - Helped with new inventory of springs - does the 135i suspension.
    http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/

HP Autowerks - Harold is awesome. Has been a huge source of great info. Big help with the 135i as well.
    http://hpautowerks.com/

Crevier BMW - OEM parts parts parts - and unfortunately more parts ;-)
    http://www.crevierbmw.com/

VS Engineering - Technical help, wiring, etc. Removable steering wheel with electronics. Did the custom SMG paddles on the E46 M3.
    http://vsetrack.com/

Tsovet Time Instruments - Bad-ass watches - great style. Helped out with the 25 Hours of Thunderhill effort.
    http://www.tsovet.com/

AutoKennel - Paul helped us find the car. Sales and consignment of unique cars. Good guy.
    htp://www.autokennel.com/

BR Raacing - Bruce and Todd know their stuff - big source of setup information.
    http://www.brrperformance.com/

Motorsport Hardware - Ryan has been a big help with studs, lugs and spacers allowing us to perfectly fit the huge wheels and tires on the car.
    http://www.motorsporthardware.com/

-Ralph Warren & Scott Cary

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Why keep the cats?
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    332iT
    We decided to keep the cats so when people heard the car, they would know that they could get the same sound if they chose Akrapovic.

We also wanted an exhaust that would pass sound at Laguna. Not sure about 92db, but certainly 96db. For 92db days at Laguna, we can put the factory center section back in and keep the exhaust rear mufflers.

Akrapovic did some testing and for stock S65 engines or engines with just mild performance upgrades, there is no gain in horsepower.

-Ralph Warren

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Why keep the cats?
    Hey, we all need to do what we can to watch out for the environment.

I'm really looking forward to more info on the RC-1s! More tire choices is never a bad thing.

My Cars
    06 M3 ZCP, 08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanL View Post
    Hey, we all need to do what we can to watch out for the environment.

I'm really looking forward to more info on the RC-1s! More tire choices is never a bad thing.
    Plus one. What's so convincing about the tires to get behind such a project?

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
    Plus one. What's so convincing about the tires to get behind such a project?
    Based on what we've seen so far, this tire is going to prove to be an excellent value for club racers and track students.
    02 M3 SMG - prepared class BMW Club racer
    08 135i - stock class BMW Club racer
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Good stuff! You guys got that thing together pretty quickly. I remember seeing parts sprawled out all over your garage just a couple of months ago!

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Any idea of when these tires will be on sale?

-Robert

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphwarren View Post
    We decided to keep the cats so when people heard the car, they would know that they could get the same sound if they chose Akrapovic.

We also wanted an exhaust that would pass sound at Laguna. Not sure about 92db, but certainly 96db. For 92db days at Laguna, we can put the factory center section back in and keep the exhaust rear mufflers.

Akrapovic did some testing and for stock S65 engines or engines with just mild performance upgrades, there is no gain in horsepower.

-Ralph Warren
    Assuming the message here is that there is no gain in hp from removing the cats? Or from adding the exhaust?
    -Luke

EFFEKTIV Motorsport
    #189 GTS2 - Ground Control / Motorsport Hardware / Hawk Brakes
    Visit us @ https://www.facebook.com/EffektivMotorsport

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
    Assuming the message here is that there is no gain in hp from removing the cats? Or from adding the exhaust?
    From what Ralph told me, there was no horsepower difference between their street exhaust and their lighter race exhaust.

We spent Friday at the LA Chapter track school at Cal Speedway and after Ralph did some laps, we had a special guest driver for a few laps - Boris Said!

He was at the school raising awareness for his new BMW dealership in Murrietta. He also had some good feedback/suggestions for us regarding the car setup.

Last edited by scottn2retro; 05-08-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    you need the new APEX EC7 wheels on this thing!

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Still looking for some info on when these will be available to purchase and what sizes will be available.

-Robert

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Just to continue the legacy that started a decade ago on the East Coast, that new car deserves the honor to be called MadMaxxis ;-)

Those in the "know" will get it... It's an old story ;-)
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Did you get Boris to sign on the car? That would be cool.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorMech View Post
    Still looking for some info on when these will be available to purchase and what sizes will be available.

-Robert
    I think some sizes are going to be available later in the summer, but I'll ask to see if they have some info on the sizes they are planning to make.
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    I'd be willing to try them as soon as I can get some--275/35/18.

#008 CM/GTS4 2004 Carbon Black/Black M3 Coupe
    Perf. Mods: Schrick 280/272 cams; OEM tune (for now), AA Ceramic Headers; K&N 63 w/ECIS Filter and Shield; BW Race Cat-Back Race Exhaust; BW oil cooler; BHS pulleys; Denso Iridiums; Solid Engine/trans mounts; Autosolutions SSK; Odyssey PC680T battery; CDV del.
    Race/Suspension/Brake Mods: Aim MXL Pista data/gauge system; BW Race Wing; Front race splitter; CSL D/S CF bootlid; CSL Diffuser; ACS CF Lip; CF Roof; Welded Race Cage; F/R subframe reinforcements; SPAL fan; A/C and EGR delete; Sparco Evo 2 Plus seat; Schroth profi II-6 harness; Alcon 365mm 6-pot/343mm 4-pot F/R BBK; Moton ClubSport, 850F/400R; Vorshlag Camber Plates; GC racing sways (firm/medium), camber arms, spherical RTABs, delrin FCABs; Cobalt Friction XR1/XR2 race pads F/R; Turner pedals

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    Did you get Boris to sign on the car? That would be cool.
    It would have, but I thought we would have come across a little more star struck than normal, so I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by nolocontendere View Post
    I'd be willing to try them as soon as I can get some--275/35/18.
    That is the size we are running now, so that should be one of the first sizes available.

Some pics from Buttonwillow

Last edited by scottn2retro; 05-10-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    What size is the 135i running, or is that on a different compound?
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    The 135i is also running RC-1s in 255/40x17

Quote Originally Posted by luv4myE36 View Post
    you need the new APEX EC7 wheels on this thing!
    That is a nice looking wheel. I haven't looked to see if there's any appreciable weight difference in the 8's and 7's.
    Last edited by scottn2retro; 05-11-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Are 245/40/18s in the plans from Maxxis?

My Cars
    M3
    I'm interested to hear your progress. I've built a NASA TTA car and was the beta tester of the ast 4200's. The e90 M3 is such a great platform to start with.
    Have you played with swaybars? I am doing ok with proper spring rates and am not quite convinced that I need any more bar. The front
    inside tire already lifts slightly in hard cornering.
    Keep the updates coming.

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    Quote Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
    The 135i is also running RC-1s in 255/40x17
    What a coincidence! I know of a mildly supercharged 325iT which will be running that size very soon.

Here's my son helping to inspect the take-offs from that very car. Thanks to Scott and team for the pallet delivery this morning. I'm very much looking forward to giving some feedback after the Heartland Park "Flat Out Classic" coming up in June.

Jonathan
    BimmerWorld
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    Are 245/40/18s in the plans from Maxxis?
    John tells me to expect the tires to be available late summer and people will be able to get them from the Maxxis eStore.

I hope be able to post a size list tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rkybobby View Post
    Have you played with swaybars? I am doing ok with proper spring rates and am not quite convinced that I need any more bar. The front
    inside tire already lifts slightly in hard cornering.
    Keep the updates coming.
    We're getting some sway bars in now from RD Sport. What springs rates are you running? We've got about a 200# difference front to rear (rear being more).
    Last edited by scottn2retro; 05-11-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast