Thread: E36 Alarm Problem

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon

E36 Alarm Problem

I drive a Euro 01/97 E36 323i SE RHD Climate Control with AC, Auto.

My problem is that a couple of years ago my alarm fob got wet and broke with the alarm still turned on. I can use the key to open the doors and drive, but the alarm is still on. I removed the siren (which was broken anyway) and disconnected the hazzard switch connection, so now I can use the car with no alarm sound or flashing lights. This suits me fine, the only problem is that I leave the car for extended periods and the alarm is draining the battery. So I would like to turn it off.

My alarm is fitted from the factory and integrated into the ecu, so there is no seperate alarm unit. I spoke to the BMW tech and he said that to turn off the alarm they would have to remove the ECU and piggy back it with another, then program a new fob. Of course they quoted a ridiculous price to do the work.

Is there anyway to turn it off through the OBD port. I have a cable and the software I used to fix my SRS, I believe its called INPA (thats the windows shortcut I use). Is it possible and what software do I need.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    According to the ETK, the factory installed alarm is part of the ZKE (central module) IV. You can try to recode the ZKE (not the Engine Control Unit / DME) to not provide an alarm. Alternatively, you can try pulsing the ZKE's IR remote control unlock input which should also disable the alarm. That is, when you write that you can "open the doors" you don't mean you can still open them by remote control (a big difference).

If you have a retrofitted alarm, for example, this one, you can extirpate the alarm's control unit.

PLEASE NOTE: the factory alarm has the fob built into the key; the retrofitted alarm has a separate fob. What do you have?
    Last edited by johnf; 04-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    It's possible that you might be able to access the alarm with INPA. It's worth a try. What about pulling fuses? I bet there is a fuse for the alarm

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon
    I had a fob, the key is a coded one, so I can still open doors and drive the car as the EWS is satisfied. When the fob broke it would not open the doors, when the fob was working I would lock the doors with the fob which turned on the alarm, I could also deadlock with the fob.

The alarm was included in the SE package, and I'm sure there is no alarm unit as in the diagram. If I use INPA and try to talk to the E36 alarm module from the list it cannot make a connection. My guess is that I dont have one, or it cannot be accessed when the alarm is on.

I will try activating the central locking with INPA when it stops raining.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    If you have a fob that is separate from the key, I would expect you have an alarm control unit, somewhere, that is separate from the ZKE, a separate alarm control unit that you can unplug. But I'm not familiar with some of the equipment exported to (or the things that were added in) the UK.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I don't know a ton about the euro alarm systems but I thought they were all built into the ZKE and the all used buttons on the key to lock/unlock. Is this a BMW alarm? If it's aftermarket you should be able to find and remove the control module or pull the fuse out of the harness. Alarms are pretty passive. They shouldn't drain your battery very fast

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon
    It is a BMW alarm, says so on the window and on the siren. It is a standard equipment model for the E36 96-98 323i/328i SE. The alarm is definatly integrated into the ZKE as is the central locking (no seperate module).

I have tried INPA on the central locking, but it wont lock/unlock the doors.

The BMW tech told me it had to be done with the remote as it was a rolling code. They could not program a new remote without turning off the alarm, hence the need to remove the ECU.
    Last edited by fjb66; 04-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    What about just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? And like I said before you could pull some fuses to see if it stays off when you put them back in

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon
    I tried disconneting the battery with no success. With regards to the fuses, on the fuse board there are 4 fuses listed for the anti theft system, any idea which of the 4 is for the alarm?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Sorry...I have a us car

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Last edited by johnf; 04-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by fjb66 View Post
    It is a BMW alarm, say so on the window and on the siren.
    So does the retrofitted, DWA V system for Germany.

It is a standard equipment model for the E36 56-98 323i/328i SE. The alarm is definitely integrated into the ZKE as is the central locking (no separate module.
    The alarm was either an ordered option or an added kit. I could suppose either from what you have reported. The factory-installed ZKE system would appear on your car's build sheet as option 302. If it's not listed, I probably can't suggest anything more. I tried!
    Last edited by johnf; 04-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon
    It may have been the dealer who added the alarm or it was added when the car came into the UK, but I do not have a seperate alarm unit, it is coded into the ZKE. In the UK the 323i SE was an official model and came with climate control AC, alloy wheels alarm and a few other things as standard, the only option added to mine was a CD changer. The same as today I could go into BMW and buy a 325i SE and it comes with an alarm as standard equipment. The dealer can see from my VIN that I have an alarm.

How do you pulse the ZKE's IR remote control unlock input?

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by fjb66 View Post
    ... How do you pulse the ZKE's IR remote control unlock input?
    Apply 12V to connector X13253 pin 4 (the ZKE's 26 pin yellow connector). To be safe, you can apply the 12V through a 1–2.2K resistor.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-09-2012 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1997 E36 323i SE Saloon
    I dont want to try applying voltage in case something goes wrong. I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible