Thread: HELP! Need answer/solution by the morning time! - Ground wire within steering wheel?

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5

HELP! Need answer/solution by the morning time! - Ground wire within steering wheel?

Have to go to work in the morning, and I have the steering wheel off the car.

Long story short, I am adding AMG paddler shifters to my M-sport steering wheel. I have it ALL wired up and even tested my harness and paddle shifter and it all works great.

BUT! I cannot find a sutiable ground on teh steering wheel.

Where can I ground the two paddle shifter wires too?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    see ground shown here on airbag

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/793194
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    You owe that man a damn beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    Thank you Alpina540i for teh link. BIG help!

I was still not able to get the paddles to work ... Like I said I tested my harness through the slip ring and then paddles and it worked, but now that I am trying to put eveything back together I cannot seem to get the paddles to work....totally confused and hed to just bolt everything back together for the time being

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    All those switchs are doing is touching one of the two wires to ground, so if one wire of the switch is connected to the step wire and the other to ground than it should work, were you in sport mode? shifter slid over?
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    You can not just use the sport steering wheel slip ring. You need to have a heated steering wheel slip ring in order for the shift paddle to work.

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    Yes I have the SMG slip ring. Like I said. I tested the paddles, to slip ring and then to harness. And the paddled were shifting the car just fine.

So I installed everything and now they don't work.... I even check my harness it is still attached with no breakage. Just confused that something so simple is going wrong

Edit******* found the problem

Even the ground used on the airbag (what is in the link) .... For some reason isn't a "good enough" ground .

For future search references:

I found the problem, the ground that is provided in the link above simply was not correct. I do not know why, perhaps that was a stage 1 airbag, I dont know, but in my application that was not a viable ground (I believe it was the ground for the airbag, so the paddles would only work if the horn was pressed LOL)

See picture below: the other "spade connector" is the ground that worked in my application:

Last edited by absolutegtr; 04-06-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Thanks for the update and good work. Personally, I prefer the 3 pedals on the floor