Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: e39 Push start install overview

My Cars
    1999 540i sport

e39 Push start install overview

Advanced Keys push start install E39 overview

http://www.advancedkeys.com/

Well a few weeks ago I installed a push button start in my 540. The kit is made by Advanced Keys and it uses two antennas placed at the front and the rear of the car to sense the smart key fob. Once the key fob is sensed the car can be set to automatically unlock, and when you leave sensing range the car will automatically lock. When the key fob is in range the push start button illuminates and its ready to be used to start the car. If you press the button once without the brake depressed it will put the car into acc mode if you press it again it puts the car in the on position and if you press the button again without the brake it will turn off everything. When you put your foot on the brake and push the start button once the car starts right up.

The e39 install is just like installing a remote starter, it requires.

556U immobilizer bypass
    Advanced Keys 104B
    2 relays
    Solder/soldering iron

The ignition has :

2 green wires ON position
    1 purple wire ACC position
    1 yellow/black wire starter crank
    3 red wires constant 12v hot

These wires connect to the Advanced keys push start unit, the exception here is that the Advanced keys push start module cuts the ACC while the car cranks. This will cause the car to not start; you must wire a relay from the ON position to power the ACC during the cranking to allow the car to start.

The 556U immobilizer bypass connects between the cars factory ews antenna. This allows the ews system to read the transponder in the bypass unit only while the push start is active. The factory ews ring antenna that is located at the tip of the ignition sends out a signal to read the factory key since the factory key is no longer used you need to pop the ring antenna off the ignition and wrap it in aluminum tape to shield the antenna.

Wiring locations and colors:

Tachometer wire, black thin wire located at pin 1 of service diagnostic port under hood.

Door lock wire blue/red located in drivers door on the power window switch.

Door unlock wire black/white located in drivers door on the power window switch.

The door lock/unlock outputs from the Advanced Keys unit are negative and the e39 needs to have a positive pulse to trigger the door locks. You need to use two relays to invert the lock pulse polarity to a positive pulse.

Trunk pop grey/black located on trunk pop button in drivers kick panel.

The wheel lock must be disabled via a drill, I used a drill and then I drilled and tapped the locking pin and inserted a bolt to hold it securely.

I mounted the push start button in place of the fog light switch and I made another switch to turn the fogs on and off.

This is a basic rundown of the e39 specific installation requirements outside of the normal install, feel free to ask me questions.

The system works well and its very nice to not have to take you key out to start the car.

-Anson

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alpina540i; 07-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    00 528 sport;e34 540-RIP
    hell yea, THANKS!

"Never let the bastards wear you down!"

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Very nice. It looks like it was made for your E39 - matches the shift knob & pedals.

I'm impressed!
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    will work with stick shift? lol

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Where is the fog light switch located after your install?

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    yeah it will you just have to wire the "ground when in park" wire to your clutch so when the clutch is pushed in it will start.

Quote Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
    Where is the fog light switch located after your install?
    I did not use the actual round fog light switch again when I remounted the switch.
    I put it on a toggle switch beside the drivers kick panel. I never use the fogs anyway so its not like I need super easy access and this way you can't see the extra switch.
    Last edited by Alpina540i; 04-04-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    yeah it will you just have to wire the "ground when in park" wire to your clutch so when the clutch is pushed in it will start.
    oh really....

this would be nice with the fading halos on lock/unlock + folding/unfolding m5 mirrors with unlock.

hmm.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Great work!

Where did you get the idea for the button's location?

My Cars
    00 528 sport;e34 540-RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    Great work!

Where did you get the idea for the button's location?

hahahahaha. I JUST read through your threds linked through your sig.

You have balls sir.

But I still think the james bong cigarette lighter is the best place for the start button. That would complete the inability for anyone else to be able to drive it, hahaha

Ooo and sooo much respect for thinking of the arcade button. Thats like the best button ever designed...

"Never let the bastards wear you down!"

My Cars
    E39 2001 525i a
    nice job man! You said the fog light switch is by your kick panel, so whats the on off switch by the wiper stalk for? I also like the accent silver trim I assume you did this yourself?

My Cars
    03 540i
    this is pretty neat!.... if you are up for it, do you mind taking a video of it in action?

and are there any features at all that you would lose from not using the OEM key? is the car still going to have the same level of security?

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    I didn't want to have to open the cigarette lighter every time I started or stopped the car so that was not going to work plus I already am using the cig lighter hole to house another switch for Angel eye steady on or off or fade on off with interior lights via a 3 pos switch.

I thought about mounting the switch in the lower dash but I just thought the silver bezel around the button would look good flanking the gauge rings and I never use the fogs anyway.

The on off switch by the steering cover is an on demand back up camera that when switched on will override and display the image of the camera on the nav. It also works in reverse but I like to watch the scenery zoom by while driving sometimes...lol Yes I have gone a little nuts with silver thread and suede recently.

I will see if I can shoot a video, the key fob uses rolling code rfid encryption plus the factory ews system is still active when ever the key is not in range, in addition to the factory security system that is still active with motion detector.

-Anson
    Last edited by Alpina540i; 04-04-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    15 328xi
    Looks like it belongs there.

My Cars
    13 C250
    Awesome! Kinda funny I was just thinking if something like this was possible and bam here it is. Thanks for the info and great looking install/interior.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Very nice! More information on your gear selector please.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Modified oem BMW sport shifter about 100 dollars new.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    1997 528i
    i think i just drooled a little bit..
    do my car next?!

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Well I shot a video but my cellphone is being dumb it dosen't have audio when I play the file on the computer, I will have to take another tonight with my camera.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    97 SC 540ia / 09 TL SH
    So what kit did you order from the site

Would love to get the package with all the bells and whistles. Eg security

Ps.how difficult was install

Reminds me of an s600 key card

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina540i View Post
    Modified oem BMW sport shifter about 100 dollars new.
    What modifications exactly? Does it have a button? Any links to the item?

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkid View Post
    So what kit did you order from the site

Would love to get the package with all the bells and whistles. Eg security

Ps.how difficult was install

Reminds me of an s600 key card

I ordered the smart entry+push button start unit

It was time consuming but doable it took longer wraping all the wires in felt tape and routing all the wires than hooking everything up.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    2003 530i - 2010 328i
    That is soooo kewl...
    Albo's Official Upgrade Thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige w/ Retrofitted Black Plug Sport Seats) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 AC Schnitzer Type II Wheels w/ 245/40/18 Tires - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bars - Beastpower Rear Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow 14816 Muffler - Dinan Cold Air Intake - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - EMP Stewart Water Pump - ECS Tuning Aluminum Water Pump Pulley - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters - E90 Shift Knob + More to Come!!

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    What modifications exactly? Does it have a button? Any links to the item?
    Yes it has a button and the shaft that moves has to be cut and adjusted to e39 length. I can't seem to find it online right now.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5

This is what my wife would say if i got this!
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2001 M5 Carbon Black Dinan Stage 3 - Sold
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold
    1995 /// M3 Alpine White - sold

My Cars
    03 540i
    this has been on my mind all day... anyways looks like advancedkeys arent the only ones making this setup. there are a few other companies too. I checked on youtube for a video of how all this works and noticed all the other brands.... not sure which one is the best

---

Is disabling the steering lock necessary? I really don't like the idea of taking a drill to it.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast