Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap DIY Cam locking tool for Vanos install

My Cars
    1996 328is

Cheap DIY Cam locking tool for Vanos install

I had to fix the vanos on my car a few weeks back because the previous owner didn't install it properly. I didn't feel like buying the $100 cam locking blocks so I decided to make my own tool and it worked GREAT! no more check engine light.

What you need is
    Two 2" C-clamps Harbor Freight brand cost $1.50 each
    and one 6.5" long piece of 1/4" key stock. you should be able to get this from any industrial supply store.

You have to modify the C-clamps as pictured by making them thinner in the area that the key stock will be. I used a file to do this.

Then Follow the procedure on how to get your Car to TDC and lock the flywheel. Then lay the key stock across the cams and lock it in place with your modified C-Clamps.

If you know how to do geometry you will understand why this works just as good as the expensive cam blocks.

Notice the grooves I made with the file

Installed!

I used half a channel lock for my exhaust cam sprocket rotating tool.

Hope this helps someone out!!
    Last edited by vincedahl; 04-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I like both. Very creative.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    That's great! I'm definitely going to do this when I rebuild my vanos

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You are a god. Do you have any idea how many people need this? Subscribed

My Cars
    1997 323i
    Very helpful, will bookmark for when I refresh my vanos!

My Cars
    1996 328is
    It's kind of a trick to hold the key stock in place and put on the C-Clamps but with a second set of hands it shouldn't be a problem!

Thanks for all the comments! Share the Knowledge!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    We need more of this stuff. I always do jobs that require special tools that can be avoided with some simple creativity. Love it

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Wow very clever Too bad I bought real ones already...

My Cars
    1996 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kody View Post
    Wow very clever Too bad I bought real ones already...
    me too

My Cars
    e39 528iT..e28 535i.Seta
    Thank you! I was going to purchase or rent but was holding off until I needed them.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    It's amazing how much they over price these tools, for what simple tasks each individual tool actual does.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Nice thinking. Have you tested the flex in the key stock?

On another note, I found this special tool rental package for $15/month + shipping and $100 deposit. Has TDC pin, cam blocks, chain pre-tensioner, and sprocket wrench. http://www.r-mracing.com/catalog/pro...products_id/41

Seems pretty cheap, but nothing beats DIY special tools that you can keep!
    M50 3.0L stroker project: https://imgur.com/a/l8owP?nc=1

Confucius say: Buy the best, cry only once.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Good Idea! I made one out of angle iron but took much more trial and error.
    I found a cheat for the timing chain tensioner tool, Instead of buying the chain tensioner tool to put tension on the chain while timing the primary timing chain to the exhaust camshaft (head gasket job). I instead used the original tensioner, took the inner cylinder and spring out and put a 1 1/2"ish bolt in the tensioner housing and screwed into the hole to tension the chain guide, but be sure not to use a bolt that will damage the housing or the guide (common sense for most). Worked very well and makes the specialty tool seem a little less special.

My Cars
    1994 e36
    I just clamped vice grips on the rough cast parts of the camshafts plus marked all the orientations with a Sharpie to make sure I got it all lined back up. I think they make this way to complicated.
    1994 325i Auto
    2014 Mazda 6
    2014 Ram 1500 4x4
    2003 Nissan Sentra
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1968 Mustang Convertible
    1927 Model T Sedan

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008 View Post
    Nice thinking. Have you tested the flex in the key stock?

On another note, I found this special tool rental package for $15/month + shipping and $100 deposit. Has TDC pin, cam blocks, chain pre-tensioner, and sprocket wrench. http://www.r-mracing.com/catalog/pro...products_id/41

Seems pretty cheap, but nothing beats DIY special tools that you can keep!
    Key stock is a pretty stiff material, you would really have to be cranking on your cam gear to bend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Landerex View Post
    Thank you! I was going to purchase or rent but was holding off until I needed them.
    No problemo!

Quote Originally Posted by xdgt03 View Post
    I just clamped vice grips on the rough cast parts of the camshafts plus marked all the orientations with a Sharpie to make sure I got it all lined back up. I think they make this way to complicated.
    That would probably work too, this is just a way to ensure its positioned correctly.
    Last edited by vincedahl; 04-05-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Brilliant, indeed.
    Another great thing is that it turns the cams square as you tighten the clamps, instead of tweaking on the cams to slip the alignment tool in-place.

I used a piece of scrap aluminum, cut from specs that the haynes supplies. It was a little tough to make it square, but it works
    Tbd

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Great idea! Never thought of the channel locks too.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i
    i welded my own tools, but this is muuuuuch easier! subscribed for future reference.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325i
    This is incredible. Harbor freight down the road and I was Guna get these tools for $100 cheapest. One last thought, anyone have a solution for a homemade TDC pin?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have used the back end of a drill bit for a TDC pin. I think it was 1/4 or 5/16. It is just there to idiot proof your work. You should be using the mark on the front cover lined up with the mark on the front timing gear attached to the crank damper.

While I like the clamp method, how do you know the bar is exactly parallel to the rear surface of the head? I think I would want more bars stacked up going all the way down to it. One degree off is easy. Tops of square blocks on back of cams must be exactly square to back of head as well as to each other.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 05-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have used the back end of a drill bit for a TDC pin. I think it was 1/4 or 5/16. It is just there to idiot proof your work. You should be using the mark on the front cover lined up with the mark on the front timing gear attached to the crank damper.

While I like the clamp method, how do you know the bar is exactly parallel to the rear surface of the head? I think I would want more bars stacked up going all the way down to it. One degree off is easy. Tops of square blocks on back of cams must be exactly square to back of head as well as to each other.
    They are mounted at the same level in the head. Therefore if the cams are square they must be square to the head.

My Cars
    '94 330is, '13 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmfwd View Post
    Therefore if the cams are square they must be square to the head.
    Are the cams always perfectly square?

The cam-locking blocks I've seen hold the cam faces perpendicular to the head, but they don't incorporate the other faces of the cam ends. This implies the faces are parallel, but not right angles. Has anybody measured a few to see if they're perpendicular?

Besian Systems Procedure:

BMW TIS:
    Last edited by carwiz008; 05-10-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    M50 3.0L stroker project: https://imgur.com/a/l8owP?nc=1

Confucius say: Buy the best, cry only once.

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Can any of you guys explain the necessity of the flywheel locking pin? I'm not arguing whether it's important or not, but why would the crank turn at all? It's attached by chain to the exhaust cam sprocket and the exhaust cam doesn't move, so...?

Also, how to get to the hole to insert the locking pin? Driver's side from underneath?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by filmy View Post
    Can any of you guys explain the necessity of the flywheel locking pin? I'm not arguing whether it's important or not, but why would the crank turn at all? It's attached by chain to the exhaust cam sprocket and the exhaust cam doesn't move, so...?

Also, how to get to the hole to insert the locking pin? Driver's side from underneath?
    You can use a screwdriver, its not a necessity.

I believe it can be accessed after you've removed the air intake manifold. If its never been touched, there's supposed to be a little cover/grommet over the hole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast