Thread: Need help with INPA SMG Adaptation

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 Coupe

Need help with INPA SMG Adaptation

I tried to do the INPA SMG Adaptation (F9 special tests) on my 2005 M3 today. Car was cold and on a flat level surface. First 2 tests completed with no problem. Then it got to the point where it tells you "foot on brake, start engine" which is when the clutch slipping point adaptation is supposed to start. So I start the engine and it seems like the test is continuing normally but then it stops before doing anything and gives me a results screen without actually doing the last test. The results screen says all tests completed without errors. I don't have any idea what the problem could be. I've tried it 3 times and the same thing happens each time. I took it for a test drive afterwards and now there is a delay after each gear change that wasn't there before. Anyone know how to fix this or what could be going wrong?
    Last edited by BQAD; 03-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    How long have you used it after?
    They can still adapt during use to account for wear and tear etc, so you might find it has done the basic adaptation, but will still be learning the smooth side of things.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    Not long, just a couple miles. It goes into each gear and the clutch holds once it's engaged, but it seems like the computer is intentionally slipping the clutch for a long time (like 1-2 seconds) at every shift now where it never did that before. How long does the learning period usually take? I'm just worried that the test failed and it's going to stay this way. Is it normal for the last test to only take a couple seconds? It didn't seem right to me because the other tests took several minutes each.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    I couldn't say how long it takes, it would need the experience of others, but the clutch thickness is something that would be constantly monitored and adapted to, which means it might get better by itself.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    So I finally got DIS working and decided to try doing the adaptations through there instead. The process was basically the same except you do each test separately (as opposed to INPA that does everything in one shot). The results were also the same, all tests completed successfully. The clutch slipping test only took a few seconds again, so I guess this is normal. Took the car out for a 20 minute drive afterwards and it seemed better than before. It is still slipping the clutch a bit but not as much as before so I think the DIS adaptations worked properly. I think I must have done something wrong in INPA (maybe had it in 1 instead of N during one of the tests or something). Now I'll just have to wait and see if it settles down.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    They might have updated test plans, maybe even the INPA one is a factory new reset, and the DIS is a end user version.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    BMW
    How long will this test last for is the real question. If it keeps slipping that's not good

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 Coupe
    So after 6+ hours and 200+ miles over 5 days it hasn't gotten any better. Still slips the clutch after every gear change. It holds fine once the clutch is fully engaged, but it's almost like it's backwards now. The gear changes are still fast, but slow acceleration = quick engagement and hard acceleration = slow engagement. No error codes. Checked the hydraulic fluid and it looks fine. Pump sounds normal. Swapped the salmon relay just in case and it made no difference. Checked all the values in INPA before and after doing the calibrations and the only one that is different is the clutch position in Analog Values 3, but it's right in the middle of the range and so that doesn't seem like an issue. Any other ideas?