Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Notes from Dice Mediabridge with DSP Install in E39 540i Wagon

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Wagon

Notes from Dice Mediabridge with DSP Install in E39 540i Wagon

I installed the Dice Mediabridge (less the spec dock, for now) in my 2000 540i wagon with the DSP option on the weekend and thought my experience might be helpful to others. I should mention that I am a total novice and not mechanically or electrically inclined.

Generally the videos BSW provides links to are very helpful and will guide you through 75% of the install specifics. Some point form notes from my experience:

1) Manuals - It took me a while to find the manuals for the DSP adapter because they were not listed on the page for the product I bought (Dice with Bluetooth): instead they were listed on the page for the regular Dice. Why would I look there? Even still, the manual was a bit confusing because...

2) Part Changes - The DSP adapter has changed and looks totally unlike the one in the manual. Important changes:
    a) Connect the Red wire to the Red/Green wire going into the amp.
    b) Connect the Black wire to the Brown wire going into the amp.
    c) Disconnect the coax from the amp and plug the DSP adapter directly into the amp, no extension or male / male adapter is provided or required.

3) 6 Pin connector - The manual refers to a 6 pin connector. If you have DSP then you don't need that as the DSP adapter provides for that once it's got power and connected to the amp via coax. I wasted quite a bit of time pre-install looking for the 6 pin connector believing it was required.

4) Useless Parts - My kit only came with one mid-way wire connector (for splicing into the amp power wires). The install guide called this is a "T-Tap" which it is not. Mid-way wire connectors are common, you can get them at Home Depot and as I learned they are great for splicing wires that are same gauge. The wires I needed to splice were not the same gauge at all and really required T-Taps. I went to 3 electronics shops in Silicon Valley and could not find T-Taps, the only place that carried them was Fry's and they had 1 package left. Once I got the T-Taps and stopped messing with the useless mid-way wire connectors the power connection went smoothly. I'm sure BSW chose to use the mid-way connector in the kit for a reason but from my perspective it complicates and jeopardizes the entire install.

5) Seat Removal - If you don't have a wagon then seat removal just requires raw muscle. If you have a wagon then you need to remove some trim - there are two tie-down hooks (for lack of a better description) on either side rear passenger seat. Removal is as follows:
    a) Using your hands or a trim removal tool remove the plastic cover, starting at the bottom, then pull out and up to remove the trim.
    b) Using a hex key or hex bit (comes in the BSW toolkit) remove the two hex bolts from the tie-down hooks.
    c) Remove the tie-down hooks by pulling the top away from the seat.
    d) Re-installation is the reverse of the removal, seat bed should come up very easily now.

Besides the things above the install went smoothly and according to the videos. It took me 3 hours (not including previous false-starts) to get the DICE connected and working and all the trim put back in place. I still have to wire in the Spec Dock to the center console but was frankly too sore and tired to do it.

Install could have gone faster if I was aware of the above 5 points, but also I was convinced there was a way to run the DICE cable into the same channels as the other wiring in the car. I gave up because it proved too difficult and would have left me without enough wire to reach the passenger side of the dash. So I just followed the path from the install videos.

P.s. Tools I needed not included in the kit / BSW tool kit:
    1) 10mm socket driver with extension for battery disconnect and some trim panels
    2) T-Taps, wire stripper and crimper
    3) Soldering iron (optional for proper quick disconnect install)
    4) Slot micro-screwdriver (for removing some trim in the wagon bed tie-downs to reveal bolts)
    Last edited by IAmGary; 03-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport
    Thanks for posting this -- I tried to install a MediaBridge kit with the new BSW-branded DSP Adapter today, and this post answered most of the questions that were confusing me!

I am attempting to install the MediaBridge into a 2001 BMW 530i (E39), with a Mk III navigation computer, 16:9 display, DSP and trunk-mounted 6-CD Changer.

The installation of the DSP Adapter was, quite frankly, a b!tch -- after removing the CD-changer, I also had to remove the bracket holding the nav computer in order to access the wires going into the amp, and the single supplied mid-way connector was obviously completely inappropriate. Instead, I cut the wires and made a special trip to Lowes to buy some insulated spade connectors, but they turned out to be too small for the fat power wires going into the amp (as did the terminal block I had kicking around), so I ended up using heavy duty "butt"(!) connectors -- not very elegant, but it seems to work for the time being.

The rest of the hook-up seems to be pretty easy, although so far I've only set it up in the trunk -- after spending a whole afternoon getting the DSP Adapter connected, I didn't have time to run the cable to the front of the cabin or install the mic and spec dock.

The track display also seems a little funky -- the font is much too large to read the track names currently (I recently upgraded the nav computer firmware to the most current version available for the Mk III). Hopefully I'll figure out how to fix that when I complete the installation tomorrow!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport
    I spent another afternoon on this MediaBridge + DSP + Spec Dock installation, and it's just about done -- however, I did run into some additional problems.

Firstly, the Spec Dock that I received had a large rectangular female iPhone/iPod plug on the end (rather than the small round one shown in the BSW videos) -- this meant that I had to drill a series of adjacent holes in the base of the ashtray mount and then file them out to make a large rectangular hole, rather than the quick'n'easy circular hole shown in the video.

Secondly, the MediaBridge's text display on my BMW's 16:9 nav screen is almost illegible, due to the fact that it uses a huge font. I've tried messing around in the MediaBridge menus to change the text display, but it's still dreadful.

Thirdly, I've so far been unable to get my iPhone 4S to pair with the MediaBridge via Bluetooth -- I followed the instructions to the letter, but the iPhone just doesn't find the MediaBridge.

Hopefully the good folks as BSW will have some advice for resolving these issues!

Be sure you have the dip switches set correctly. I was havin the same trouble and every time I went back to the job more was working and now everything seems to work fine but I have no sound I think maybe the coaxial cable is either bad or not connected well. I have a red blinking light at the dip switches and cannot fine any where what that light means.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport
    Thanks -- I have the dip switches set to the recommended setting for cars with multi-line display/navigation radio systems (DIP1=On, DIP2=Off) since I have the 16:9 nav display in my car -- but maybe I'll try experimenting with the other settings.

Dice Mediabridge

What color light are you getting at the dip switches? I did not work on my install this weekend but was going to today and this morning my iPhone would not recognize the BT. Everyday mine does something different, I have other stuff to do so I will try again tomorrow and see what happens. Best of luck to you.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport
    I see what you mean about it doing something different every time you go back to it -- I tried countless times to get the MediaBridge to pair with my iPhone 4S on Sunday without any success whatsoever, then when I tried again on Monday evening, I was able to pair them on the first attempt!

Is it working now?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Wagon
    Firstly, the Spec Dock that I received had a large rectangular female iPhone/iPod plug on the end (rather than the small round one shown in the BSW videos) -- this meant that I had to drill a series of adjacent holes in the base of the ashtray mount and then file them out to make a large rectangular hole, rather than the quick'n'easy circular hole shown in the video.
    My experience as well: I finally got around to installing the SpecDock, and was I ever, EVER ticked off about the change to the connector. I drilled 5 messy holes (placing a small block of wood inside the tray is a good idea, otherwise this is very tricky and may crack your centre trim) instead the 1 nice hole the old connector would require.

This is totally a case where some engineer made a decision oblivious to the real needs of the end user. Just like the inclusion of the stupid mid-way wire connectors.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmGary View Post
    This is totally a case where some engineer made a decision oblivious to the real needs of the end user. Just like the inclusion of the stupid mid-way wire connectors.
    Wait... You got TWO mid-way wire connectors with your DSP Adapter kit? You're lucky -- mine came with just one!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Tonyg99: any luck with the mediabridge? Have an 01 m5 with same issues.. Can't pair phone, txt is a mess.. Just whole system just dosent seem to work correct..

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by lofuel View Post
    Tonyg99: any luck with the mediabridge? Have an 01 m5 with same issues.. Can't pair phone, txt is a mess.. Just whole system just dosent seem to work correct..
    I've got an 01 M5 and I'm trying to get mine to work as well. I'm not even getting any text/sound from the iPod yet but the Mediabridge is getting juice, since it's charging the iPod. Switches are set for 16:9 Navi.

Debadged, Intravee II, OEM Bluetooth, CDV Delete, RP Synchromax, E36 M3 SSK, ///M5 LSD

Sounds like you need to try a new adaptor.

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by gene4jesus View Post
    Sounds like you need to try a new adaptor.
    Ignorance warning: You mean the DSP or the actual mediabridge unit?

Debadged, Intravee II, OEM Bluetooth, CDV Delete, RP Synchromax, E36 M3 SSK, ///M5 LSD

My Cars
    Bavsound
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch09 View Post
    Ignorance warning: You mean the DSP or the actual mediabridge unit?
    Typically no sound would point towards a bad DSP adapter, however you should still be getting text display. Go through and double check all of your connections for the DSP adapter and verify they are firm!
    Jeremy Whittle
    jeremyw@bavsound.com

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
    www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

My Cars
    09 E70 N62 Sport
    It is interesting to come across this thread, I too am having problems with the display text size, and can't seem to get it to display legibly.

Separate issue I'm having is that through USB the input audio must be at 100%, I get terrible gain distortion. When I pipe it in through BT, I can lower the input level on my iPhone, and it sounds fantastic.

Working through this, if anyone has updates about the text size issues, please post up!

tbw

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I just installed a duo kit into my 01 740iL with a 16:9 navi with mk3.
    My text would not work at all in 16:9 setting. With the 4x3 navi setting I get nice large text display and it works perfect. Just a little slow on scrolling. I tried the 2 other possible dip switches position, one of them didn't show any text, and the other put the text in the cluster.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    2001 740iL

Same Install Challenges

I also have a 2001 740iL...and just completed the MediaBridge install. A couple of questions:

1) Did you settle on the recommended dip switch setting (i.e. #1 on or down, and #2 off or up)...or something else?

2) How did you change your NAV head format (from 16:9 to 4x3), so the text would be readable?

3) What text option did you employ using the DSC #4 button options; e.g. BMW single line, BMW multi line, etc?

4) Finally, were you able to get the text to display in the cluster/banner behind the steering wheel? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

My Cars
    M5, 540i-6, 02 X5 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by gnezer View Post
    I also have a 2001 740iL...and just completed the MediaBridge install. A couple of questions:

1) Did you settle on the recommended dip switch setting (i.e. #1 on or down, and #2 off or up)...or something else?

2) How did you change your NAV head format (from 16:9 to 4x3), so the text would be readable?

3) What text option did you employ using the DSC #4 button options; e.g. BMW single line, BMW multi line, etc?

4) Finally, were you able to get the text to display in the cluster/banner behind the steering wheel? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

I need help too, haing the hardest time getting to get the text to display right on my 16x9 E39 MKIV nav. I have tripple checked the media bridge and its installed correct, tried numerous resets..but so far..I only get track stuck on the screen and the info behind its all gargled up! Any help would be great-
    Beau

My Cars
    2001 540i 6spd
    In regards to the OP:

I wish I had come across this thread sooner. I too had a similar situation with the DSP option install in my 01 e39. I'm really interested in where your power / ground wires are hooked up to?

My issue is that even with the car off, the car will try to connect to my BT device (android phone) every minute or two. While playing music from my speakers on the phone, the connection will occur then drop right away, causing the music to stop because the phone thinks it's connecting to the car. This really worries me because it means the car is feeding power to the unit even while off! I messaged BSW already and they told me to unplug the 3pin adapter for an hr, I unplugged it for a day, but the problem still occurs.

Maybe I wired the red plug into a constant power source? Maybe I need a T-Tap that goes into the big fatty wire?

I still need to update the firmware, that could be the issue too. I'll be doing that right now actually, why not!
    Edit: it's on the latest version firmware. 6518
    T.T
    Last edited by tastytoast; 01-20-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: firmware 6518

My Cars
    2001 740iL

Figured It Out

So, after several weeks of adjustments, I believe I have the display issue figured out.

If you press the mode button to engage the MediaBridge (Bluetooth or Aux or USB) you will see the almost unreadable text on the Nav head.

If you then display your navigation map, then press the up arrow on your steering wheel (to move to the next song) the NAV head will display a readable version of the artist and song.

I have used this method for two weeks now, and it has worked each and every time.

Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to get the artist & song to display on the ribbon (behind the steering wheel). Has anyone figured this out?

My Cars
    E30 335i E30 325i
    Just figured out you can have two bluetooth devices hooked up to the mediabridge, one phone and one audio streaming device, that way you can have a friend stream his music while your phone is hooked up too so if a call comes in you still take it through the mediabridge.!!

So is everyone on the mk3 with the updated software having the scrambled text on the widescreen?
    I find it frustrating having to push combination of buttons to make it display correctly. >|.

Also is people having issues with the galaxy s3 and pandora streaming. I have to first play any song on any music player on the phone and untill then turn on the bluetooth to pair it and then open pandora or spotify and the issue with that is that I get the name of the son on the phones player instead of the pandora song on the display even if its pandora the one active at the moment. Also getting random unpairing.

Everything on the mediabridge seems to have a catch!

Oh oh and it keeps saying mediabridge discoverable every 5 seconds for the first 30 secs unless i pair something or it finally says phone not linked and shuts up

Still happy with all the connectivity option.

Quote Originally Posted by gnezer View Post
    So, after several weeks of adjustments, I believe I have the display issue figured out.

If you press the mode button to engage the MediaBridge (Bluetooth or Aux or USB) you will see the almost unreadable text on the Nav head.

If you then display your navigation map, then press the up arrow on your steering wheel (to move to the next song) the NAV head will display a readable version of the artist and song.

I have used this method for two weeks now, and it has worked each and every time.

Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to get the artist & song to display on the ribbon (behind the steering wheel). Has anyone figured this out?

This is done by changing the dip settings, cant recall what combination but try the ones on the manual. I didnt like it because when scrolling is on it keeps replacing any other info I have on there, if i wanna have my range it just goes back to the song cause its scrolling. And if I remove scrolling sometimes the name doesnt fit and so I personally dont like it.
    Last edited by handale30; 02-05-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    00 750il,91 560 Sel
    I recently install the dice unit and have all the same issues.
    Not happy with the unit at all.
    Also I have a lot of static when playing music with my iphone
    Azam Rahamat

My Cars
    '01 540iT Wagon
    2) Part Changes - The DSP adapter has changed and looks totally unlike the one in the manual. Important changes:
    a) Connect the Red wire to the Red/Green wire going into the amp.
    b) Connect the Black wire to the Brown wire going into the amp.
    c) Disconnect the coax from the amp and plug the DSP adapter directly into the amp, no extension or male / male adapter is provided or required.

3) 6 Pin connector - The manual refers to a 6 pin connector. If you have DSP then you don't need that as the DSP adapter provides for that once it's got power and connected to the amp via coax. I wasted quite a bit of time pre-install looking for the 6 pin connector believing it was required.

Gary
    Are you still out there?
    While installing my DSP converter, I found a three pin connector and a small coax cable that both plugged directly into my DSP converter.
    I have no idea where the other end of this coax cable goes?
    It disappears into the harness.
    Can you elaborate on points 2C and 3 above?
    How did you connect the DSP adapter coax directly to your amplifier?
    I have also been looking for this mysterious 6 pin cable that isn't there.
    You can email me at encinitasdave@gmail.com
    Many thanks.