Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcus' E46 M3 Blown Motor Diagnosis - THE RESULTS ARE IN

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i

Exclamation Marcus' E46 M3 Blown Motor Diagnosis - THE RESULTS ARE IN

To get everyone up to speed. Marcus has the HPF stage 3 turbo system on his M3. He decided to swap out his fuel system and EMS and go with ProEFI. Marcus had issues with the car and shipped it to us for diagnosis and repair. Here is what we found.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuSoCsYj0jY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAIiLM0bQg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYgjAlsdcqU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited by HPF Chris; 03-14-2012 at 03:20 PM.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - sales@horsepowerfreaks.com

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Oops... Cracked ring lands. IIRC, he was making more power than a regular stage 3 setup.

I was unaware of Marcus' problems. When did this happen?
    This is my signature....

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    So it seems the hardware is free from blame.
    Can you guys VIEW the PROEFI tune?

What is their stance on the issue?
    and
    did Marcus and PROefi make any promises to each other concerning the risks of serious race car pauer?

EDIT: a "too small" ring gap variable is interfering with blame being placed on the PROefi tune. Is it possible that Marcus' engine build was slightly different (accidentally) than the 85 other HPF engine builds and has played a large part in the engine failure?

Last edited by milKt; 03-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 98 323is
    I wasn't expecting too much from the title, but actually learned some good stuff there. Thanks for posting that video. It's science.

I'd love an explanation about forged aluminum shrinking once it hits a critical temp. That sounds interesting.

[Ethan "if it weren't for that cone" Connor|323is #89DSP]

My Cars
    BMWs
    Chris - this is common failure on a motor that is run too hot on a ring gap too tight with a wall clearance too small. I am not sure what the builder is talking about the piston shrinking down - you were right, the reason it rocked in the bore is because of the wear from the expansion. In my unprofessional but avid enthusiast opinion - I would venture to say that this motor was probably pushed hard on the tune especially considering its one of the ProEFI builds on E85. Jason has a product to push and if his numbers are X% higher than AEM numbers, more people will switch, your shop will be sold, and the world will be better. But, he's likely tuning way more on the edge. The truth is that the exhaust temperature really wouldn't have been as hot as your engine guy is saying - the cylinder temp was up, the pressure was up, but the EGT isn't as crazy because the catastrophe is occurring in the cylinder. When the tune is soft you get higher and higher EGT because of the combustion event happening later and later and ultimately making its way nearer the exhaust stroke.

My vote would be if they're going to run 350 kPA on those setups you need to open the ring gap and wall clearance. The motors might smoke a bit when not being pushed (when the pistons aren't expanding) and might have some piston slap. The customer won't be as happy with a motor more prone to smoking but it will be "normal" for the build. That rocking that your tech saw is what takes out spark plugs in other motors with off-center spark plugs. Our heads have a centralized spark plug so the "lever" in the piston/wrist-pin is centered so the only time we see interference is if something reaaaally bad happens. Other motors will see spark plug gaps close down due to piston wear and ring land failure that is an early indicator of potential melt down.

Definitely ProEFI's fault. The motor was not setup to reach those temperatures. They should have had better knock control. They didn't poke holes through the piston so it wasn't catastrophic knock event/failure, but the engine was not setup to be making that much heat. Could have been prevented but I feel like ProEFI is/was probably out to "prove" something with these early setups.

</amateur opinion>

Quote Originally Posted by nondescript View Post
    I'd love an explanation about forged aluminum shrinking once it hits a critical temp. That sounds interesting.
    I've talked to a few builders and engineers in my time with doing these builds and have never heard of a piston shrinking at high temp. Shrinking in the cold and slapping, sure. But when they get hot, things expand. The piston "shrunk" because it left measurable material deposited to the cylinder wall!

This builder does not instill a great feeling of confidence in my opinion!
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 03-09-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    +1
    More or less what most FI motors are hurt/killed.
    Just want to add that the preignition kills the engines in a matter of a few strokes.It is like hammering the top of the piston with a 10 lb mallet-it can only take as much before it xplodes and the conrod bents.
    Last edited by bawareca; 03-10-2012 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    e30
    Chris, thanks for sharing the informative videos lately. They are pretty cool and help educate the community. Props on that!

You can heat shrink aluminum, although I haven't heard of it in a piston, it does not mean its impossible. The material will expand to a certain point, but at elevated temperatures the material becomes malleable enough to be reformed. Aluminum also has a much higher chance of this due to the lower melting point. If you look around you can see shrinking hammers and slapping files used in body work to shrink the metal and "pull in" dents.

I'm not a materials expert, but it seems plausible that with spiking cylinder temps the piston could slightly deform and become smaller than it was before after it cooled. Keep in mind the cylinder tolerances and how much the piston would have to deform to start causing issues and a downward cyclical spiral....especially with a bad tune.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    BMWs
    In order to reduce aluminum in size you need to work it. For it to be soft enough to be worked as a whole, that bore would be coated with aluminum. They're already forged pistons so they've been compressed in their molten state previously. I don't buy the "shrunk" piston thing at all.

My Cars
    BMW's
    There is a tremendous amount of history behind this motor that is clearly not discussed in the video.

Source: I own the car.

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    go on.....

My Cars
    BMW's
    The forced induction thread on E46F has a seriously long and intense debate going on regarding it. I'm trying to stay neutral.. but if you're interested you can find more info there.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Appears to be ring gap and wall clearance related... I'd love to have Don or one of the other builders chime in.

Chris, how would you feel about having some shop like Bearing Service take a look at the motor and give their opinion? I bet they would do it for free. Good people.
    Last edited by SiGmA; 03-10-2012 at 04:05 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Appears to be ring gap and wall clearance related... I'd love to have Don or one of the other builders chime in.

Chris, how would you feel about having some shop like Bearing Service take a look at the motor and give their opinion? I bet they would do it for free. Good people.
    This.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    turbo m3
    It seems like we all can safely agree the tune was not "safe."

I'm not an expert... The only think I saw was that head lifting was lifting. (obviously, I saw the cylinder destruction.)

I don't know if the shrinkage is plausible or not, but I can see it happening.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    99 M coupe
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

My Cars
    85 318i
    If the bore was too small there would piston skirt scuffing. Evidence of the ring gaps touching would be on the ends themselves (shiny finish)
    When ring gaps touch the ring starts to fold in half making marks on the top of the cylinder bore called eyebrows.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooyorQ View Post
    The forced induction thread on E46F has a seriously long and intense debate going on regarding it. I'm trying to stay neutral.. but if you're interested you can find more info there.
    It would be best to post the useful info here. Sucks that this has happened dude.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    03 M3,Turbo E36 M3, D675

My Cars
    e30
    In order to reduce aluminum in size you need to work it. For it to be soft enough to be worked as a whole, that bore would be coated with aluminum. They're already forged pistons so they've been compressed in their molten state previously. I don't buy the "shrunk" piston thing at all.
    As I said, I'm not a materials expert and this topic is something out of my league. All I know is that it is possible to heat shrink aluminum even though it is counter intuitive to think so. Whether or not heat shrinking can happen in this scenario is beyond me.

The e46F link was interesting. I think the bottom line is the engine obviously needs to be built to the target power. You can't build an engine for a certain power level and then just decide to increase power say 50% more. The tolerances on everything need to be chosen to meet the desired target.

As someone mentioned in the other thread, the engine could have been just fine at the power level it was designed for and trying to squeeze more out of it might have put things over the top. I don't have enough experience to eyeball the the pistons and know if the piston rock was too much piston to wall clearance, or if that much clearance is necessary for those power levels.

For HPF it would be wise to record what the ring gaps and piston to wall clearances are on the motors so if the car is tuned by someone else they will have that information and should choose an appropriate power target given the setup.

Nothing is worse than just assuming a "built" engine is bullet proof. There is so many factors that come into play.

FWIW Accurate Engines in Lynwood, WA is where most of the BMW race cars in the area go to have their work done. Might be worth reviewing the engine with Mike there. I have nothing to gain from this, I have just found the shop useful in the past and plenty of friends have had similar experiences on their race engines.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    turbo m3
    The e46F link is very interesting...
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Unicycle
    It's hilarious. As usual.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70

For HPF it would be wise to record what the ring gaps and piston to wall clearances are on the motors so if the car is tuned by someone else they will have that information and should choose an appropriate power target given the setup.
    That's usually what "blue printing" involves.

Sent from my DROIDX using BF.com

My Cars
    skateboard
    I think I'm going to have to agree with the ProEFI guy, and some of the other guys over there. This guy hammered it here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=74
    Last edited by GG///M3; 03-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    e30
    That's usually what "blue printing" involves.
    Well, mostly yes. Still, its clear they do not release this information to the customers. I'm not even sure if they keep the info themselves or if they just trust the builder.

At least from the thread it seems like they don't keep this info or give it to the customers. Maybe that's not the case.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    The motor was not built for it? It's 1 of 3 sleeved blocks from hpf. It's the strongest one they make but you guys think it's the tuners at fault for overpowering it?

The engine had problems since it was delivered. Major oil consumption and fouling of the #5 plug over and over. I garuntee it had a broken ring right from the start. It has a .040 underbore motor and I bet they used a less than ideal ring compressor.
    Last edited by hobbit382; 03-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast