Thread: Bleeding the clutch

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

Bleeding the clutch

Just put a new clutch in my 325 and bled it but the clutch still feels soft. Before the clutch when it was alot harder to push down now i could push it down with my pinky. I dont we bled correctly but my dad insists that it is.
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    98 E36, 12 Wrangler
    Your new pressure plate could be a lot weaker than your old one.
    Do this: with engine running and in neutral, watch the rpm gauge closely. Then put it in first without letting out the clutch. Did the rpm gauge move/drop any? If it did then you have issues with air in the system.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    If i go to put it in first the rpms drop and when im comming to a stop and put the clutch in it has a bouncing idle witch wasnt there before.
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    It needs bleeding. How did you bleed? Pressure=Best Vacumn= SoSo Pumping with foot= Unacceptable You may have shortened the clutch master (fluid bypassing over the cup)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    We just pumped the clutch and let it out. My dad owns a garage but dosent work on bmws(mostly older cars). Im only 17 so im just really starting my journey into cars. But anyway i should do it the other way.
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    325is 5SP manual Feb1995
    Not bad for 17, your signature, very cool!

My Cars
    1996 328i 2003 X5
    I say use a bleeder. It is the best way to ensure that you get all of the are out, but make sure you have plenty of fluid. Have you bought the unlock valve yet??? if not you will want it and then have to do it all over again..
    I am lost but learning.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    This is was the first time changing the clutch on this so were bit of amatures. The clutch just isnt the same as it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel10
    I say use a bleeder. It is the best way to ensure that you get all of the are out, but make sure you have plenty of fluid. Have you bought the unlock valve yet??? if not you will want it and then have to do it all over again..
    And what is an unlock valve
    Last edited by CarCorner; 03-05-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Try using a hand operated vacuum pump or bleed it like you would brakes. Pump a few times, open the bleeder till the pedal hits the floor, close and repeat. I never heard of an unlock valve either.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    We did the pumping thing and the clutch works it just doesnt feel right and is a little shakey pulling out so were gunna try vacume bleeding it.

Quote Originally Posted by lasmariaspr
    Not bad for 17, your signature, very cool!
    Haha thanks ive been around cars my whole life and thanks i thought the signature was witty.
    Last edited by CarCorner; 03-05-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    1996 328i 2003 X5
    [QUOTE=And what is an unlock valve[/QUOTE]

After doing a little research they don't make an unlock valve for your car. To answer your question, BMW installs a little orifice in the clutch hydraulic line. This orifice slows the release of the clutch so not to stall as easy also makes it harder to dump the clutch. The unlock valve is just a larger in line orifice and allows the dumping of the clutch. Pretty ingenious really..
    Last edited by Ezekiel10; 03-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    I am lost but learning.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Thats not something I really need im on a bit of a budget. Im going to vacuum bleed it when I get home from school.
    R 1 3 5
    └┼┼┤ ///M-Power
    . 2 4

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Check between the reservoir and clutch master sometimes the tubing can have a high point and allow a bubble of air to not move either way, try lowering the line so as to allow the bubble to move back into the reservoir and vent it self. Just my .02

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    I think what Ezekiel10 is referring to is removing the clutch delay valve. Like he said, it's a little valve that sits between the slave and master. It doesn't cost anything to remove it.... you just take it out and reattach the line back together. Search for "clutch delay valve" on here and on google and you'll find millions (literally) of pages about it. Here's one page, for example: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...46-e39-t95725/

My Cars
    1993 325i S52 Modded
    Alot of people dont realize that there is a special way to bleed these slave cylinders. The bleed valve is not at the highest point on the cylinder body. After you bleed it. You must unbolt and remove it from the trans. Hold the bleed valve so its at the highet point. Then open it and hand bleed it.

Says right in any DIY manual. If you dont have one. Get one. Haynes manual works.
    Be A Baller: Go To The Dealer For Everything

Yay, the BMW crowd has now joined the VW crowd with the "Watch us do stupid things!" mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Glovebox and centre console. Both as much use as tits on a fish.