Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540i Hardwire Radar Detector w/Custom In-dash Remote (vid inside)

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    OK...this is something my Bro (jamesdc4) told me that ppl on the forum would enjoy since it's my own mod. I started this thread beause I was dragging another thread OT and you all know how annoying that can be...LOL! Also didn't show the unit functioning in my original vid link...fixed.

When I finally decided to hardwire my BEL, I thought it would be nice to have a remote BUT that ugly pos provided doesn't really belong anywhere in our cars. You know that lumpy thing with two remote lights and a mute/vol button. For a while it just hung by it's wire, dangling and flopping around just below the foglight switch. Obviously I grew tired of having this "thing" attached to my dash so I started thinking where I could hide that oddly shaped housing. At first, I was going to modify my cluster trim "ring" by cutting a space and mounting it but my brain locked onto something else. I found the remote housing was easy to open (single screw) and noticed that there was a mini green board with 2 leds and a button...very simple. I removed the dummy blank cover for the brake light fogs switch and whatdya know, there's plenty of space back there to mount the mini green board with some quick mods. I removed the blank cover piece and drilled three holes to match the led positions and the upper button (be careful as the switch cover is directional and only goes in one way). I then used some LaLaRay style thinking and pieced together some plastic clips for cable control to stabilize the mini green board behind the blank switch cover so I could actively push the mute/vol button without dislodging the green board. Here is the final result: A hardwired and mounted radar detector with a custom in-dash remote that looks factory installed (minus the glue damage and worn looking cluster trim piece...LOL). In the future, I will most likely replace the aging trim piece and will have to reinvent the supports for the green board to remount it...hope you guys like this mod!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 09-11-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixed video links.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...scort+hardwire

Pretty original... but still a very nice job.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    WOW...DeFaz did this back in '07! I had no idea. THis happens to me a lot, I get what I believe to be a great, original idea and when I take time to research it, someone else has already had my original idea...damn.

Nice write up DeFaz, makes mine look lame...oh well! I had fun doing it...

EDIT: Interesting that my Bro was the first one to post a response to the DeFaz thread...I have to admit that I didn't even run a search or I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time with a repeated thread. Noob mistake...ccan you guys ever forgive me?!? LMAO
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude
    WOW...DeFaz did this back in '07! I had no idea. THis happens to me a lot, I get what I believe to be a great, original idea and when I take time to research it, someone else has already had my original idea...damn.

Nice write up DeFaz, makes mine look lame...oh well! I had fun doing it...

EDIT: Interesting that my Bro was the first one to post a response to the DeFaz thread...I have to admit that I didn't even run a search or I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time with a repeated thread. Noob mistake...ccan you guys ever forgive me?!? LMAO
    No actually I was planning on doing this install next week, during my spring break, but I had no clue on how to take apart the dash, I'd have to say yours filled in a lot of gaps DeFaz had in his write up.

My Cars
    E39M5, S123Benz
    I hardwired my beltronics V995 two days ago, I positioned the detector up above to the left of the rear view mirror. Here's where it gets sexy... I also took apart my mute module, and took the micro board, and aimed it in the drivers side map reading light.

2000 Alpine White M5 on 06SW complete black sport leather: Muffler delete, eibach rear sway, Mk4 nav, bm53, oem aux, 16:9, euro lci headlights, celis tails, carbon rear diffuser
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo wagon 4 speed swapped lowered, zender and AMG goodies
    2013 F-150 EcoBoost: Corsa DB, Osram CBI, LEDs, llumar tint (Gone)
    2004 Ford Ranger 5 speed (Gone)
    2001 525i 5 speed (Gone)

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by exbenz
    I hardwired my beltronics V995 two days ago, I positioned the detector up above to the left of the rear view mirror. Here's where it gets sexy... I also took apart my mute module, and took the micro board, and aimed it in the drivers side map reading light.
    The pix are too dark to see what you did. I get the location (illegal in CA) of the rd but not sure what you did with the remote vol/mute controller...could you please clarify? I think you've mounted the remote in the map light housing, correct?

EDIT: BMWhiteman, Thanks for pointing out my confusing placement of "(illegal in ca)"...I fixed it.
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    They aren't illegal in ca
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman
    Dude, I didn't mean to state that rd's are illegal in CA but the mounting location certainly is. You can only mount devices to a 3x3 area at the lower left of your windshield!

At first the law stated that you couldn't mount anything on the windshield but obviously, the electronics industry also has some very powerful lobbyists...

BTW, by law, you're not supposed to hang objects from your rearview either but that doesn't stop ppl from doing it.
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-27-2012 at 02:28 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325 xi
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3It8NGXLNs[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    good.
    This video is sick thanks for posing this vid! I want this so badly now such a clean look.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by rask40
    Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3It8NGXLNs

good.
    This video is sick thanks for posing this vid! I want this so badly now such a clean look.
    Thanks man...not sure if it's covered in faz's post but there are three T-10 torx bit screws under the upper curved lip of the cluster trim and two more securing screws hidden under each of the wood trim pieces to each side of the steering wheel. Once the screws are removed, the trim piece then pops right out very easily but be careful of the wires connecting the headlight switch, dimmer wheel and fog light switch as they prevent further removal. Once those have been disconnected, the whole thing is freed and can easily be removed from your ride and then setup to accept the remote's guts. GL...

Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    12cool,

The other link only talks about wiring up the remote.
    If you find the time, can you write up a more detailed DIY with details of getting the wiring set up?
    This is a great mod that all drivers could use.

Which panels you removed to run the wire down,
    What you connected it to underneath (spliced into some random "hot" wire?)
    Did you need a hardwire kit for the Bel, or did you use the cig lighter wire?

Thanks.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I had completely forgotten about defaz's thread.

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    I am looking to do this in my e36 in one of the blank pop out panels in front of the shifter and was wondering if you would be kind enough to give me a rough measurement of the size of the pop out panel that you installed this into. I am 95% sure they are the same size on the e36, but I just want to verify that it will fit before I order the hard wire smart cord. These are the panels that I want to install it into.....

thanks,
    tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445
    I am looking to do this in my e36 in one of the blank pop out panels in front of the shifter and was wondering if you would be kind enough to give me a rough measurement of the size of the pop out panel that you installed this into. I am 95% sure they are the same size on the e36, but I just want to verify that it will fit before I order the hard wire smart cord. These are the panels that I want to install it into.....

thanks,
    tmaxx445
    40mm x 15mm or 1.5" x 5/8" approx. so it fits in a fairly small space...those are about the same size I believe.

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    40mm x 15mm or 1.5" x 5/8" approx. so it fits in a fairly small space...those are about the same size I believe.

Thanks man, looks like my panels are ever so slightly larger in both dimensions so it should work out great.

tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Dude, I didn't mean to state that rd's are illegal in CA but the mounting location certainly is. You can only mount devices to a 3x3 area at the lower left of your windshield!

At first the law stated that you couldn't mount anything on the windshield but obviously, the electronics industry also has some very powerful lobbyists...

BTW, by law, you're not supposed to hang objects from your rearview either but that doesn't stop ppl from doing it.
    get what ya mean now. now I wonder what states jammers are illegal in lol
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    That's a very slick setup! Nicely done, videos are always a plus. I have to add that to the master "to do someday" list. First I'd need the radar detector though.

I don't remember the cops switching up their hiding spots though, some seriously lazy donut chompers. Do you still speed past some of the 'known' spots if the radar is happy?

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    nice job.. never had much use for a radar detector tho.. it's one of those things I've looked into buying 55 times, but never pulled the trigger... i don't do any interstate driving... well, not REAL interstate driving.. i mean, I drive from NY to NJ but that's about it. i had another idea for that panel tho... team polizei style
    Last edited by fragzem; 02-28-2012 at 06:27 AM.

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540
    That's a very slick setup! Nicely done, videos are always a plus. I have to add that to the master "to do someday" list. First I'd need the radar detector though.

I don't remember the cops switching up their hiding spots though, some seriously lazy donut chompers. Do you still speed past some of the 'known' spots if the radar is happy?
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Yes but always keeping my eyes open anyway. They have some clever hiding spots along 17 so I'm always alert. Running 9 is less of an issue...except through certain zones. I've actually saved myself many times by visual when they sit silent and dark waiting to trap someone so always alert is my motto!

I remember when I first moved to the area in '87. I was booking down Graham Hill Rd. in my '72 Camaro and just as I was approaching a rise, here comes a ChP Mustang. I thought about running but instead pulled over and waited for him. When I saw him come popping back over the rise, I knew I'd made the right decision. First thing he did was thank me for waiting instead of running. He noticed the rd and asked why it didn't warn me as his radar was active. I told him the unit was off so he kind of laughed and told me I was doing 60 in a 25 but only wrote me up for 35 (because I waited for him? Most likely...). I remember thinking how nice he was about the whole thing and being thankful because I knew I was going fast. That's just one story too...I've got a few.
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 02-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    12Cool,

I tried to do this job today, but as expected, I hit 2 roadblocks.
    (I pretty much now expect nothing to ever go right the first time, which means I am getting experienced)

First, I took off the underneath panel near the pedals and looked for the red wire you mentioned.
    Unfortunately, there are 3 wires (of course!) Since 2 have red, I'm not taking any chances knifing up wires in my daily driver.
    Can you clarify which it is?

But before all that, in the 3rd picture, you can see the wire housing plugs into a green "outlet". Can I use the other blank slots to somehow connect a wire there? With a plug or fuse? This seems easier than cutting wires with a utility knife. If not, what exactly IS that green "outlet" for? Also, this green outlet seems to have a door that opens up from underneath when the panel is installed. Is this to gain access to that outlet from the outside? In other words, are you not even supposed to remove the panel, and just use the green thing as a plug from the door that access it from underneath?

And, I also looked for the purple wire under the side panel on the center console (that runs to the center console phone connector.)
    We talked about instead using this wire, b/c it is switched, and will power off the radar detector when I turn off the car.
    However, I didn't see any purple wire. I only saw 1 large black wire. Is that it? Why is it so much thicker than the other wires above?
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 03-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.

My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Thanks for the idea man, I finally got around to mounting my direct wire smart cord kit for my radar detector in my e36 today. Now I am able to mute as well as see any alert status right on my console as opposed to having to look up at the top my my windshield. I think it came out pretty good, but I have ordered an amber LED to replace the green LED that it used for the power indicator. The green just clashes with everything else and the amber will look more OEMish. Here is a quick iPhone shot, the LED flash makes the faceplate look a little funny; it blends in much better with the texture of the panel in natural light.

tmaxx445

2005 M3 Coupe

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence
    12Cool,

I tried to do this job today, but as expected, I hit 2 roadblocks.
    (I pretty much now expect nothing to ever go right the first time, which means I am getting experienced)

First, I took off the underneath panel near the pedals and looked for the red wire you mentioned.
    Unfortunately, there are 3 wires (of course!) Since 2 have red, I'm not taking any chances knifing up wires in my daily driver.
    Can you clarify which it is?

But before all that, in the 3rd picture, you can see the wire housing plugs into a green "outlet". Can I use the other blank slots to somehow connect a wire there? With a plug or fuse? This seems easier than cutting wires with a utility knife. If not, what exactly IS that green "outlet" for? Also, this green outlet seems to have a door that opens up from underneath when the panel is installed. Is this to gain access to that outlet from the outside? In other words, are you not even supposed to remove the panel, and just use the green thing as a plug from the door that access it from underneath?

And, I also looked for the purple wire under the side panel on the center console (that runs to the center console phone connector.)
    We talked about instead using this wire, b/c it is switched, and will power off the radar detector when I turn off the car.
    However, I didn't see any purple wire. I only saw 1 large black wire. Is that it? Why is it so much thicker than the other wires above?
    Working from memory and it's been a while. I'm gonna have to look again but the purple wire was pointed out by someone else so I'm not sure about it. Do you have the phone option? If not, that would explain it.

It appears that the outlet is your OBD port so I wouldn't tap into that one...what is your y/m? I'm working from a 2000 perspective with a premium package so we may have a different wiring harness. Do you have a Bentley brick? It can be helpful in these situations...

OK...fresh vid for ya Climbed under th dash and pulled the panel to clarify the location of the wires you need for this install. Let me know if this helps...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjRvNLO738[/ame]

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    OK...fresh vid for ya Climbed under th dash and pulled the panel to clarify the location of the wires you need for this install. Let me know if this helps...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjRvNLO738[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445
    Thanks for the idea man, I finally got around to mounting my direct wire smart cord kit for my radar detector in my e36 today. Now I am able to mute as well as see any alert status right on my console as opposed to having to look up at the top my my windshield. I think it came out pretty good, but I have ordered an amber LED to replace the green LED that it used for the power indicator. The green just clashes with everything else and the amber will look more OEMish. Here is a quick iPhone shot, the LED flash makes the faceplate look a little funny; it blends in much better with the texture of the panel in natural light.

tmaxx445
    Awesome, professional looking install. My hat is off to you sir...
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 03-08-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Bumpers...any luck OTF?

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    I decided to try using the "fuse tap" the guy attached to the hard wire.

Plus, it seemed like less work than splicing wires.
    (I'm still not 100% comfortable snipping a random wire under my dash,
    and then sewing it back up with some twist cap)

So, I snaked the wire across the front of the dash and got it all the way into the glovebox.

In the glovebox fuse box, does anyone know if the top or bottom terminal of a fuse slot is "hot"?
    Which should the fuse tap plug into? Hot or cold? Man, nothing's NEVER easy, is it?

UPDATE: I got it working. I ran the hardwire all the way across the front of the dashboard, then around the pillar (which I didn't tuck into), and then down the side of the dash, then into the glovebox. I used a fuse tap into a middle fuse (the only ones that still have a slight cavity in front of it once the fusebox door is closed, which allows clearance for the fuse tap) I found a ground screw in the glovebox roof. Seems to work so far.

There is no "mute" button anymore, but I'm not going to install one in the dash as it's almost the same to reach for the RD as it is the dash.

A big thanks to 12Cool for his continued patience and encouragment on this DIY.
    I'll post a shot tomm. as it's an alternative for people who don't want to use a knife!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C8n7GAQ1hw[/ame]
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 03-15-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast