Thread: DISA Valve. Unnecessary repair?

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

DISA Valve. Unnecessary repair?

Today, I replaced my DISA with a new OEM unit for $169.

I am not sure this DISA thing was worth getting worried about,
    and might be a case of over-maintenance...

11 year old car (2001) and 120k miles, and my DISA was working perfectly.
    First, the O-ring seal was fine (not hard and brittle)
    Flap functioned properly, as the suction hole / vacuum thing worked just like the new DISA valve.
    There was no play or rattle whatsoever @ 120k miles.

Yes, my pin was loose and partially hanging out. I was able to slide it right off, effortlessly.

People have reported / are worried about that pin falling into the engine. However, I took a picture of the intake.
    You can see that little "cube" area where the pin sites. (You can see the imprint of the pin head)
    I'm not even convinced it was a problem b/c of the pictured recess that would trap the pin.
    If the pin fell out, there is nowhere for it to go...
    If anything if may fall down when you remove the entire DISA, but it can easily be fished out, in that case.
    Unless the entire plastic housing shatters, I don't see where the pin could go to....

Last edited by OnTheFence; 02-23-2012 at 12:28 AM.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 530i e39
    Hmmm... good point. i never really looked in there like that too look. Maybe there is something else that could be breaking off and bouncing around?!?!
    NEVER argue with an idiot, as he will make you stoop to his level of idiocy.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    Right hahaha was thinking to change it but no need vacum is ok but the pin is slightly out

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    There are rare cases of broken pin and ruined cylinder head.
    So, it is not $169 wasted, except you paid too much for that!

You could have used G.A.S. repair kit, I did that and it was a very good kit.

This DISA thingy is like buying life insurance, if you didn't die, you don't care about the insurance lol...

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    There are rare cases of broken pin and ruined cylinder head.
    So, it is not $169 wasted, except you paid too much for that!

You could have used G.A.S. repair kit, I did that and it was a very good kit.

This DISA thingy is like buying life insurance, if you didn't die, you don't care about the insurance lol...
    Post a link I just bought a 330ci and just rebuilt part of my intake (maf upper and lower boots) and I'm all about preventative maintenance post a link for what you suggest... I'm new to the m54b30 motor

My Cars
    E39 Touring 520i 2003
    Seeing your pictures, I too beleive the pin wouldn't fall out on its own. Might be tricky when you take out the whole Disa unit, but as you say, you can fish it out then.
    My touring has got 204k (km) on the clock and runs like a sewing-machine. Im all for preventive maintenance too, but I don't see the point if tis not faulty and the risk of ruining your engine isn't likely.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    Post a link I just bought a 330ci and just rebuilt part of my intake (maf upper and lower boots) and I'm all about preventative maintenance post a link for what you suggest... I'm new to the m54b30 motor
    Get the "$85 kit", don't use the cheaper kit. Check to be sure it fits your car.
    It is a very easy mod. The G.A.S. stuff is first-class material:

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/...repair_kit.php

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by manmetmotorzaag View Post
    Seeing your pictures, I too beleive the pin wouldn't fall out on its own. Might be tricky when you take out the whole Disa unit, but as you say, you can fish it out then. My touring has got 204k (km) on the clock and runs like a sewing-machine. Im all for preventive maintenance too, but I don't see the point if tis not faulty and the risk of ruining your engine isn't likely.
    ok always good to hear from long term M54 owners... This one has 125k on the clock dealer maintained all records
    Are on the carfax and it seems to have had the week points already replaced and or worked on especially after I just redid my upper and lower intake boot MAF and boot, along with upper radiator hose and PS to and from res lines... Now my alternator is a bit squeaky from the coolant but mainly the powersteering(ATF) that leaked directly down onto the alternator from the PS reservoir hoses... Hoping it will burn off and quiet down, it does go away when it warms up... Any tips for stopping a slight squeak from an M54 alt? Grease? Did not make a sound before the multiple hose rupture

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    If this thread is any indication of the research, or lack there of, that you have done on the subject, you would have bought the German Auto Solutions rebuild kit for a fraction of the price that it costs to replace the entire unit ($79.95). The process of "testing," the disa valve is primitive at most, it gives little insight into the functionality of the unit and is not an entirely reliable test. The problem with the disa valve is that the flapper valve, over time, can begin to degrade and turn round, the build up of oil and other contaminants can cause the valve to freeze up, particularly in cold climates causing cylinder miss-fires. How do I know? Because my wife's 330ci suddenly developed these symptoms and after rebuilding the disa valve, the issue stopped immediately. If I judged the condition of the disa valve by the "test," I would still be scratching my head wondering why the car was running like crap. Not only is this a GREAT preventative maintenance, but you greatly reduce the risk of grenading the engine from a failed valve. But that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by RuskiE39; 12-25-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I've pulled at least half a dozen DISA valves out of customer cars that look just like the above picture.

I've pulled ones with the pin and large pieces of the flap missing.

I even pulled one with the entire damn flap missing once, although I speculate that was someone elses "repair"
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I'm behind you all the way, preventative maintenance is my middle name, I'm constantly looking for how I'm going to spend my next dollar in order to make my automobile life better... I am new to the M 54 motor tho and things are a lot less obvious than with the 540 I've been driving over a decade... I'm in tune with my e39 chassis and motor... 330ci is gonna take a little getting used to/educated on...

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    If this thread is any indication of the research, or lack there of, that you have done on the subject, you would have bought the German Auto Solutions rebuild kit for a fraction of the price that it costs to replace the entire unit ($79.95). The process of "testing," the disa valve is primitive at most, it gives little insight into the functionality of the unit and is not an entirely reliable test. The problem with the disa valve is that the flapper valve, over time, can begin to degrade and turn round, the build up of oil and other contaminants can cause the valve to freeze up, particularly in cold climates causing cylinder miss-fires. How do I know? Because my wife's 330ci suddenly developed these symptoms and after rebuilding the disa valve, the issue stopped immediately. If I judged the condition of the disa valve by the "test," I would still be scratching my head wondering why the car was running like crap. Not only is this a GREAT preventative maintenance, but you greatly reduce the risk of grenading the engine from a failed valve. But that's just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I've pulled at least half a dozen DISA valves out of customer cars that look just like the above picture.

I've pulled ones with the pin and large pieces of the flap missing.

I even pulled one with the entire damn flap missing once, although I speculate that was someone elses "repair"
    +1. In the research I've done the problem with the DISA is when the flapper starts binding, falling apart and the structure holding the flapper (2 'legs') breaks. This allows the metal pin to come out from its safe little recess pictured above and possibly get sucked into the engine along with various other plastic bits as Stuck says.

GAS does not make a kit for the M52TU so I'm stuck with the OE one. I did superglue the pin into the flapper so if the flapper & structure starts to fall apart, not likely at 54K miles, the pin has less of a chance to go astray. I would have bought the GAS kit at 30K if they made one.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    If this thread is any indication of the research, or lack there of, that you have done on the subject, you would have bought the German Auto Solutions rebuild kit for a fraction of the price that it costs to replace the entire unit ($79.95).
    Look at the date of this thread. 2012.
    At that time, GAS was priced much higher than it is now, IIRC, and for a $5 bucks more I replaced the entire unit.
    I'd probably make that same choice today.

Also, GAS was some untested unknown guy in his basement, selling his kit that no one knew anything about.
    I don't put that kind of stuff in my cars.

I stand by my original post.
    There was no way the pin could go anywhere, as it was contained in that square cavity. Just internet hype.
    My DISA was perfectly fine at 130k miles, and there was no need to replace it. Save your money for better repairs.
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 12-27-2015 at 05:03 AM.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Look at the date of this thread. 2012.
    At that time, GAS was priced much higher than it is now, IIRC, and for a $5 bucks more I replaced the entire unit.
    I'd probably make that same choice today.

Also, GAS was some untested unknown guy in his basement, selling his kit that no one knew anything about.
    I don't put that kind of stuff in my cars.

I stand by my original post.
    There was no way the pin could go anywhere, as it was contained in that square cavity. Just internet hype.
    My DISA was perfectly fine at 130k miles, and there was no need to replace it. Save your money for better repairs.

I will take your side on this one. We have replaced countless disa valves mainly for rattle . Yes they can break like mentioned above but I have yet to encounter a catastrophic failure of one destroying cylinders. Heck we deal with un-maintained bimmers everyday. Some owners just don't give a shit. Yet their Disa Valves are fine. The thing with forums is while 95% might be helpful, the 5% is just BS that seems to be more prominent. Some just like to be drama queens.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    I will take your side on this one. We have replaced countless disa valves mainly for rattle . Yes they can break like mentioned above but I have yet to encounter a catastrophic failure of one destroying cylinders. Heck we deal with un-maintained bimmers everyday. Some owners just don't give a shit. Yet their Disa Valves are fine. The thing with forums is while 95% might be helpful, the 5% is just BS that seems to be more prominent. Some just like to be drama queens.
    Gumbi! I saw you were selling your E39, and felt that would be a huge loss to this forum. I still miss bimmerfiver's hazing. I've not been posting here since I've done almost nothing to my e39 in the last 2 years except drive it.. Hope you're well.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    A rare Gumbi appears!

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Sadly, that's the only way people learn
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Gumbi! I saw you were selling your E39, and felt that would be a huge loss to this forum. I still miss bimmerfiver's hazing. I've not been posting here since I've done almost nothing to my e39 in the last 2 years except drive it.. Hope you're well.
    I havent been doing much with the five. Just trying to drive it. I was selling it a while back but didnt want to sell it with some snot nosed kid. So I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. Its not worth much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    A rare Gumbi appears!
    Dude whats your facebook? I still keep in touch with my close E39 friends on there. ie Brandon, Dan, Jack etc. Hit me up on PM.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!