Thread: 2 hours to replace 2 vacuum hoses. (And I couldn't even find the 3rd one!)

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

2 hours to replace 2 vacuum hoses. (And I couldn't even find the 3rd one!)

First, here is another thread that gives the background for this DIY replacement of these 3 vacuum lines
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=sap&page=3

This was my experience:

This literally took me 2 hours to do.
    This MAF/F-boot hose was TOTALLY baked on.
    Petrified. I had to HACK away at it with a utility knife.
    If was a very awkward position, as your hand can barely get in there.

Also, this was actually slightly dangerous, as I could have EASILY sliced my hand or fingers open.
    I hard to press to try to get the knife to cut the rubber that had turned to hard plastic.
    (With my fingers on the other side of the plastic tube, to try to keep it still)
    It was like trying sharpen a pencil with a pocketknife. Except the pencil is tucked inside an engine bay.

I was very tempted to just cut off the top of the plastic tube I was trying to clean off with wire cutters,
    but I didn't want to pinch or crack the plastic tube I was connecting this vacuum hose onto.

At least an hour on this, and look at the sh*tty hack job I ended up with. I didn't even get all of the old hose off.
    There was NO WAY the rest of the hose was coming off with that awkward angle for my hands.

Not sure this was worth doing.
    This wasn't the leak.
    I sucked on the hose, and there was suction & no leak anyway.

Next, I was trying to replace the 2 intake vacuum hoses. (the two #4's)

I got the one attached to the SAP valve replaced.

But, I'm not even sure the size is correct.
    RealOEM states 3.3mm = .129 so I got 1/8" (.125)
    This doesn't look only .004 mm's different, however.
    Unless the outside is just wider b/c of age and hardening to shape.

I was not able to find the 2nd hose.
    I have no idea where this plastic tube goes....
    Anyone have any clue where this red hose actually is???
    That #3 appeared to wrap around the entire engine, and the disappear in the back.

I only found the plastic tubing below.
    Where is #4? The red hose....
    Is this still #3 going all the way around back of the engine? (Not like the realOEM diagram)
    This is the view from the passenger side of the engine bay

From the driver's side of the engine bay...

Where is the red hose !?!?
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 05-26-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Hey I just replaced these a couple weeks ago. I understand this is an old post, but I'll give the answer to add more value here.

So, that hose that you have labeled in RED which is the second "#4" hose on RealOEM ends in the BACK (by back I mean end closest to the windshield) END of the Intake Manifold. Standing from the Driver's Side, look/feel the "back" side of the Manifold (after it's cooled) and you will find a little area that has 2 inlets capped, and another with this hose connected to it. This hose also should have a 1-way valve on it (small half white half black). It's hard to find and get to, so use a small dental style mirror. I've been trying to find/fix a vacuum leak for over 2 months now and haven't found "it". Although I've found and replaced MANY vac hoses in the process. Best of luck!

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    My vacuum leak was one of the plastic end caps near the back of the block. It had a small crack. This got rid of the teapot whistle...

When you say towards the back of the block, do you mean literally on/near the block itself? And therefore NOT the caps that are on the intake manifold towards the rear? And chance of some pictures?

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    There's a vacuum switch back there that opens when the engine is cold. I literally had to replace that hose by feel while laying on the intake (I6). The hose assembly itself is a special heat resistant part btw.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BbradenMmillerW View Post
    When you say towards the back of the block, do you mean literally on/near the block itself? And therefore NOT the caps that are on the intake manifold towards the rear? And chance of some pictures?

#15 and #17. You can see the larger cap from the driver side at the back of the manifold, the smaller/thinner one is directly beside it. Mine was loose when I checked it, the larger one was brittle and cracked looking. I ordered replacements from BMW at a cost of about $9 but they wont arrive until thursday.

Looks like this:

I also actually just yesterday replaced this one that you were referring to:

Yes, it was a real PITA to get off as it was really baked on to the other rubber hose. Definitely worth replacing as it was all brittle and cracked looking.

I believe the cable you are searching for runs from the primary air valve at the back of the intake manifold around the corner to the side where you replaced the others. It's the piece that has the little white ball in between the two vacuum lines (#6) diagram depicts it at the side but its actually at the back.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 06-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I can't add much advice to this thread other than every time I do some repair in certain area I always check / replace vacuum lines. At this point, both cars have every almost every single vacuum replaced in the last few years. Almost no extra labor and maybe $20-30 in cost.

I see it often how people post threads about all this codes and sometimes it's just a vacuum line. Unfortunately, to many, adding bling from ebay is priority over proper maintenance.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5