Thread: Leaking Hose (Oil?)

My Cars
    2005 BMW 3.0i Z4

Leaking Hose (Oil?)

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 3.0 Z4 and have been noticing what looks like a very small oil leak near a hose on the top of the engine. This link gives an overall picture of the engine and marks the hose in question (apologies for having a messy engine bay!):

Here is a close up:

And another:

I understand that BMW's have a fairly high tolerance for oil consumption and I do have to top up the oil generally half way between oil changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? Is that even a hose for oil?

Thanks!

My Cars
    '62 MGA | '03 Z4
    That oil line is for the Vanos.

My Cars
    Many
    Vanos oil hose.

It uses two compression washers for sealing. Just replace those.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    That won't fix it. If you're going to go to the trouble of messing with it, you need a new hose. It's not leaking from the gasket rings. They leak from the rubber hose and where the metal fitting is attached to the rubber hose.

But it's also very likely that your oil filter housing gasket is leaking too. Look down in that area to the side of the engine block. If it's oily, then your oil filter housing gasket is leaking. Probably the most common oil leak on that engine. That and the valve cover gasket. The VANOS oil line is very easy to replace if you're doing the oil filte housing gasket at the same time.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0
    And while you are at it, get you a socket to fit that oil filter cap.....

My Cars
    2005 BMW 3.0i Z4
    Thanks for all your help guys! I will be taking a look at the car again over the weekend. I'm not a mechanic by any means but it sounds like the VANOS could use some maintenance.

I read up on the procedure for changing these seals and it might sounds a bit involved. Given my level of technical skill I might need to take a few days off work! Lol.